Line Combos: Hoglander to the top line, Miller demoted to 3rd line

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
It will be very interesting to see Hoglander on Pettersson's line for a full game (assuming that's the plan). Pettersson is very capable of taking advantage of the pucks Hoglander shakes loose, and is a better sniper than Horvat. Boeser is a huge upgrade from Pearson, so we could see a big night from Hoglander tomorrow night - 1 G 2 A.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Considering the shitshow that is the Canucks. I think they should be playing Juolevi full-time just for development reasons. There is very little reason to keep him out of the lineup.
I understand he's being sheltered and that it might hurt the team but it's not like he's been a liability according to his possession stats. He's pretty good at making a first pass and has been rather physical.

Agreed absolutely. With a rookie, you’ve got to expect growing pains. He’s played better than his limited minutes seem to warrant, where he’s played 18+ TOI he’s looked pretty good doing it.

I think he’s been on pace for that through two periods in many games, but TG shortens the bench in the third.

We need OJ48 to be part of an Edler succession plan, I don’t think he’ll develop as well without playing more minutes.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
It’s about time Miller gets demoted. On the topic of third line, I’ve always wondered if he could be a potential solution to our 3C problem?

Reactions: David71

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Considering the shitshow that is the Canucks. I think they should be playing Juolevi full-time just for development reasons. There is very little reason to keep him out of the lineup.
I understand he's being sheltered and that it might hurt the team but it's not like he's been a liability according to his possession stats. He's pretty good at making a first pass and has been rather physical.

100 percent ! Juolevi should a regular right now.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It’s about time Miller gets demoted. On the topic of third line, I’ve always wondered if he could be a potential solution to our 3C problem?
You know, I've wondered about this myself....if you loaded up a third line of Miller, Gaudette and Virtanen, there's at least a chance they might be able to score more than a goal a month.

The problem right now, is that once you get past the top-six, the rest of the roster is a black hole offensively. Canucks are too easy to match up against. If they could ever stumble upon a third line that could actually score, it might open things up considerably.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Juolevi should be alongside Myers over Benn.

I'll admit I'm surprised Green didn't just swap Hoglander and Miller in the top 6 and call it a day.

But... why the **** would you not put Miller at center if you're going to demote him to the 3rd line anyway?

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
If you could trade Miller for an A1 Prospect would you do it? It's looking like realistically the Canucks are 2 years away from competing.

Yes. Especially considering how long it'll likely take for us to get to contention.

But preferably a blue chip D prospect.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Juolevi should be alongside Myers over Benn.

I'll admit I'm surprised Green didn't just swap Hoglander and Miller in the top 6 and call it a day.

But... why the **** would you not put Miller at center if you're going to demote him to the 3rd line anyway?
Because Green sees Sutter and his whopping 0 assists on the season as better 3C material

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
According to Green, "he hasn't managed Miller's ice-time enough, and he's playing tired".....hence some of the mental mistakes.

But if he's 'tired now', trying to generate any offense with Roussel and Gaudette will bring him to the brink of exhaustion. It's more like purgatory than a respite.

because tyler motte is injured. nobody else plays Pk mins.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
People are so focus on what line a player should be on. I don't think it's anything about promoted or demoted a player. It's about spreading out the scoring to make the Canucks harder to play against. Good teams have top players on the third line. Pits had Kessel on the third line at times. Williams won a smythe on the third line. Hawks had sharp on third line at times. Same with Perry and Rakell for the Ducks.

Miller on the third line will still end up with more ice time than Virtanen and Hoglander.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I know Motte is out, but methinks if he's healthy he gets the nod for the 2nd line job.

Also doesn't feel like Juolevi deserves to be the odd man out on D either.

If we are going on merit alone and not potential, tenure, contract etc

the D that should sit in order are

Myers
Edler
Benn
Hughes

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I assumed Miller needed to be pleased when he got here so he got immediate minutes with our best offensive forwards. If he's on the 3rd line, it should be at centre.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
People are so focus on what line a player should be on. I don't think it's anything about promoted or demoted a player. It's about spreading out the scoring to make the Canucks harder to play against. Good teams have top players on the third line. Pits had Kessel on the third line at times. Williams won a smythe on the third line. Hawks had sharp on third line at times. Same with Perry and Rakell for the Ducks.

Miller on the third line will still end up with more ice time than Virtanen and Hoglander.

Absolutely, rather than a demotion it should seen as an opportunity to carry and run his own line and ultimately give the team better success.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This would be less of an issue if Travis Green didn't believe that players under 25 might turn into pumpkins if they killed penalties.
Jake, as low iq as he is, should be on the PK. He’s big and extremely fast. He can limit time and space, which our old slow guys just can’t do.

Reactions: David71

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Jake, as low iq as he is, should be on the PK. He’s big and extremely fast. He can limit time and space, which our old slow guys just can’t do.

Yup. He's actually generated pretty good results there in small sample sizes in the past, too.

But Green just doesn't think the game that way. Only hard-working scrappy veterans may PK.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Virtanen should be what Sutter was before he became completely broken. Big, strong, fast, with individual skills. Perfect 3rd line winger. Simplify the game as your typical North-South create havoc and score off the rush-type. Gets primary PK time and the odd PP shift as a reward for the hard work elsewhere. It’s an easy message to convey and sell to the kid. This group never will.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad