Line Combos: Hoglander to the top line, Miller demoted to 3rd line

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
While I'm not a fan of Benn, after seeing Juolevi's body of work, he's just not that good and I don't think his deficiencies are the kind that is fixed with coaching/experience alone.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I'm just happy Hogs is finally getting put with Pettersson because I think their games would jive well. Sucks though that Hogs hasn't been as noticeable the last 2 games so might not be the ideal time to see what they can do.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
If you could trade Miller for an A1 Prospect would you do it? It's looking like realistically the Canucks are 2 years away from competing.
The canucks need to be making these sorts of moves to set themselves up for 2022-2023 and onwards.

You’ll have an expiring power forward who will need a long term commitment. This isn’t the type of player you’ll want to go long term with.

They could double their investment in Miller if they traded him. He’s on a totally reasonable contract. He helped give them a miracle chance at a cup one year - now get back some real good young guys on ELC’s and a high pick.

You have to wonder if Toronto would be a good fit for him. Seems like a Dubas acquisition.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
The Miller trade was not a mistake. He may be going through a rough patch, but to get a prime PPG center on a cost controlled contract for 4 years normally costs a lot more than a late 1st round pick and a B level prospect. We could trade Miller right now for more than that.

Based on our salary cap situation, we will be completely out of the woods by the year after next (aside from Myers, but I don't think he's nearly the worst of our problems). From my viewpoint, that's the first year that any sort of window to win opens: Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, Demko all entering their prime. Horvat will be 27 years old, so right in the thick of his. Guys like Hoglander, Podkolzin, and Juolevi will be more advanced... A lot of good things going on. Miller will be 29 that year and still very much in his prime, he will be a valuable piece to help contribute.
I guess that depends on ones view of value etc.

It can easily be argued its a mistake if Miller causes "damage" through his attitude.

Theres a reason why hes been tradedtwice already and it appears this isnt some sort of sudden attitude issue.

Reactions: Yourwifeson

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Why would Juolevi come out in favor of Hamonic, that's ridiculous. Hamonic won't be here next year and might not even be in the league next year.

Par for the course
Meh I dont see it as a huge deal. Maybe Green feels Juolevi could benefit from the pressbox view in terms of development.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Nothing against Hoglander, who's been a revelation. But when a 20 year old raw rookie with 20 games or so under his belt, is your 'answer' for duty on the top line, it says a lot about how wretchedly thin the Canucks are in forwards who have an ounce of skill and goal-scoring ability.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Miller's days here are numbered
Gotta hope so.

Hes gone from actively trying to win us games to actively trying to lose us games.

And the thing is I dont totally blame him. But you cant have someone he is clearly making an effort not to make an effort. Its caustic in what appears to be an already caustic environment.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Nothing against Hoglander, who's been a revelation. But when a 20 year old raw rookie with 20 games or so under his belt, is your 'answer' for duty on the top line, it says a lot about how wretchedly thin the Canucks are in forwards who have an ounce of skill and goal-scoring ability.
Truth.

Forwards are thin.

What about D? Also thin.

Goaltending? Not the thinnest but...

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Yes. If they could trade Miller for a future top pairing defenceman that would be a smart move. The Canucks have to be of the mindset of making trades that will help the team 2+ years down the road.
Absolutely. Love to move Miller for a 22 year old top four D. Think the Flyers would give up their young Myers?

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
The problem with moving Miller is it opens up a massive hole in our top 6 that we have no internal answer for. As it stands right now, most people figure were a high quality top 6 winger short. With Miller gone, we will need two of those.

I would still be open to it, I mean, we have holes that need to be filled on our blue line as well. This is probably a lateral move at best though.

Reactions: Orca Smash

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
The problem with moving Miller is it opens up a massive hole in our top 6 that we have no internal answer for. As it stands right now, most people figure were a high quality top 6 winger short. With Miller gone, we will need two of those.

I would still be open to it, I mean, we have holes that need to be filled on our blue line as well. This is probably a lateral move at best though.

Any Miller trade would be looking toward the future because this team is more than just a couple pieces away though. Miller has 2 more years left after this, at which point he'll be a 30 year old UFA. I'm not sure if re-signing him long-term at that point is in the best interest of the team, so trading him with some term left for someone with more long-term outlook would make some sense. It's very doubtful this team will be a contender with Miller on his current deal.

Reactions: racerjoe

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
According to Green, "he hasn't managed Miller's ice-time enough, and he's playing tired".....hence some of the mental mistakes.

But if he's 'tired now', trying to generate any offense with Roussel and Gaudette will bring him to the brink of exhaustion. It's more like purgatory than a respite.

Reactions: David71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad