Miller Horvat Gaudette - The American n Bo line
Eriksson Pettersson Hoglander - European line
Macewan Beagle Boeser - Right hand shot line
Roussell Sutter Virtanen - Pass First line

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Why not have Juolevi in over Benn? Would only kind of even remotely make sense if they were showcasing Benn as a rental or something (but I highly doubt that is the case).

An overpaid 34 y/o pending UFA 7th defender playing ahead of a young player on a team that has a 4% chance of making the playoffs sums up everything about coaches and management here pretty nicely.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
I’m hoping that Virtanen is on the first line to hopefully bump up his stats to help with trading him, but I somehow don’t think that’s what Green and Benning are thinking. It’s definitely showing that it’s not a meritocracy in Vancouver if it’s solely to make the team better.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I’m pretty fine with all the lines except for maybe having juolevi out

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So Virtanen (all on one goal this season) gets promoted to the top six at the expense of Miller. This has to be some sort of trade showcasing.

I mean as tough a year as it's been for Miller, forcing him to the third line to play with Gaudette and Roussel is overkill and promoting a guy like Jake was just window-dressing.

But for entertainment value, I'd like to Hoglander to be stapled to the Pettersson line for awhile. I mean with the season lost, what do they really have to lose anyway?

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I can't see that as a mistake. Even if they were to flip Miller this year, they'd be getting a 1st rounder back for him. In terms of what they gave up, it was worth it.

They should be getting a 1st rounder back for Miller.

Should.

Benning would probably settle for a 4th rounder and a 24 year old AHL prospect and say "well hurr, we tried shopping him around but err ran out of time derrr and the salary cap and COVID uhhh created constraints."

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Miller trade and Myers signing was a mistake. Cant just rush a rebuild , go win now mode than tank after. Directionless team

The Miller trade was not a mistake. He may be going through a rough patch, but to get a prime PPG center on a cost controlled contract for 4 years normally costs a lot more than a late 1st round pick and a B level prospect. We could trade Miller right now for more than that.

Based on our salary cap situation, we will be completely out of the woods by the year after next (aside from Myers, but I don't think he's nearly the worst of our problems). From my viewpoint, that's the first year that any sort of window to win opens: Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, Demko all entering their prime. Horvat will be 27 years old, so right in the thick of his. Guys like Hoglander, Podkolzin, and Juolevi will be more advanced... A lot of good things going on. Miller will be 29 that year and still very much in his prime, he will be a valuable piece to help contribute.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Yeah, a point per game winger with a horrible defensive game is a decent player for $5m cap hit. The fact that we get that out of lazy Miller shows how good he was last year.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
If you could trade Miller for an A1 Prospect would you do it? It's looking like realistically the Canucks are 2 years away from competing.

Yourwifeson

Dec 19, 2019
The Miller trade was not a mistake. He may be going through a rough patch, but to get a prime PPG center on a cost controlled contract for 4 years normally costs a lot more than a late 1st round pick and a B level prospect. We could trade Miller right now for more than that.

Based on our salary cap situation, we will be completely out of the woods by the year after next (aside from Myers, but I don't think he's nearly the worst of our problems). From my viewpoint, that's the first year that any sort of window to win opens: Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, Demko all entering their prime. Horvat will be 27 years old, so right in the thick of his. Guys like Hoglander, Podkolzin, and Juolevi will be more advanced... A lot of good things going on. Miller will be 29 that year and still very much in his prime, he will be a valuable piece to help contribute.
I doubt Bennings ability to be a contender while Miller is here. I can hardly see him even getting a return that you mentioned as well. On top of that I dont see us becoming a playoff team next year or even year after. I cant see Miller resigning. A ppg winger like him could go to any contender and command 8 mill by time his contract ends. If we didnt aquire Miller and Myers we wouldve picked in the top 10. I think that was a short sighted move on our part. Aquistions like that are made by teams that have show they are playoff bound. We made those moves to be a bubble team. Hell covid saved us from missing the playoffs. This year we are missing the playoffs too. If it werent for covid we couldve lost a lotto pick this year

Yourwifeson

Dec 19, 2019
I can't see that as a mistake. Even if they were to flip Miller this year, they'd be getting a 1st rounder back for him. In terms of what they gave up, it was worth it.
I mean its a late 1st rounder vs a lotto pick. Without Covid, Myers and Miller we were a lotto team. If it werent for Covid we wouldve missed the playoffs. Than lost a lotto pick this year. Miller has his worth sure but its a late rounder

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
So Virtanen (all on one goal this season) gets promoted to the top six at the expense of Miller. This has to be some sort of trade showcasing.

I mean as tough a year as it's been for Miller, forcing him to the third line to play with Gaudette and Roussel is overkill and promoting a guy like Jake was just window-dressing.

But for entertainment value, I'd like to Hoglander to be stapled to the Pettersson line for awhile. I mean with the season lost, what do they really have to lose anyway?

I think it's less about promoting Jake and more about punishing Miller. Jake just benefits from it, because there's no one else to put in his spot. If the by product is showcasing Jake then that's two birds with one stone.

Last game you have Shorty calling Miller out for floating back to the bench at least 2 times, letting his pissyness effect his play. Plus he's been making a lot of poor decisions, bad passes etc.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Why would Juolevi come out in favor of Hamonic, that's ridiculous. Hamonic won't be here next year and might not even be in the league next year.

Par for the course

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Green is simply trying to better balance his lines, because he thinks some guys are playing too many minutes,

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
I think they should have swapped Juolevi and Benn and also Gaudette and Virtanen. They should also call up Baertschi. why not at this point? Maybe he does well and establishes a tiny bit of trade value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad