Waived: Hoffman, Dziurzynski (in 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Well I think ideally you find a heavyweight that is very intimidating and actually has the ability to take a regular shift. Chis Neil is a great example of that as is Lucic, but there are a few others such as Probert, Domi, Simon, Brashear and Laraque who could actually take a regular shift and possibly contribute offensively and defensively as well as hitting and fighting. Those are the types of heavies (too a certain extent because some such as Simon had terrible discipline issues) actually add some value to the team.

Unfortunately it is nearly impossible to find a player like that, so you are forced to try and develop them. Hopefully Kramer and Sdao develop enough to be regulars for the Sens.

Another player I would like the Sens to keep an eye on his Woodruff "Woody" Hudson. Woody was one of the better heavyweights in the USHL last year and he seems like he has a bit of hockey skills. He was passed over in the draft but is now starting his NCAA career at St Lawrence University. If he keeps developing and turns himself into a real player, then he could be a good target as a NCAA free agent. Seeing as the Murray's like tough players and free wallets, Woody could end up being a good target.

I like Tom Wilson & am hoping that BM could talk Washington into trading him, he would be perfect as a future Neil replacement. I would be willing to give up Puempel & more to get him & he would have time to develop since Neil still has a few yrs left on his contract. He also has some skill to go with his size & toughness.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Well I think ideally you find a heavyweight that is very intimidating and actually has the ability to take a regular shift. Chis Neil is a great example of that as is Lucic, but there are a few others such as Probert, Domi, Simon, Brashear and Laraque who could actually take a regular shift and possibly contribute offensively and defensively as well as hitting and fighting. Those are the types of heavies (too a certain extent because some such as Simon had terrible discipline issues) actually add some value to the team.

Unfortunately it is nearly impossible to find a player like that, so you are forced to try and develop them. Hopefully Kramer and Sdao develop enough to be regulars for the Sens.

Agree entirely.

Guys like Probert, Brashear (Canucks edition), Simon.... THOSE guys were actual deterrents, because they were both tough AND they could play, and therefore actually got the icetime necessary to be effective.

People that think 5-minute/night players are deterrents to anything are just fooling themselves. The only thing a 5 minute/night player deters is other 5-minute/night players.

It's sort of like a nuclear arms race right now with the no-skill tough guys (John Scott, Frazer Mclaren, etc...): each side loads up with weapons of mass destruction if only to counteract the other side's nukes, but nobody actually pushes the button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad