TSN: Hodgson Trade Revisited

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412812

Canucks general manager Mike Gillis has painted Hodgson, Vancouver's first-round choice (10th overall) in 2008, as an unhappy player who did not want to play on the West Coast. At times, Hodgson, who was dealt to the Buffalo Sabres just before the trade deadline closed last spring, has indicated otherwise, or chosen not to talk about his controversial departure.

He did not want to revisit reports that he wanted out.

"I try not to look back as much as possible," said the 22-year-old, who recorded a combined 19 goals and 25 assists with the Canucks and Sabres last season.

"I'm here with the Rochester Americans and Buffalo Sabre organization now. I haven't really looked back on it, to tell you the truth. I really appreciate my time here, the people. The fans always treated me really well."

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
He and ennis reminded me so much of Drury and Briere potential...now with girg and grig I just dont know what to think lol. I honestly see ennis back at wing before all is said and done but I salivate at the thought of

Poms-Grig-Vanek?
Armia-Hodgson-Ennis
Stafford-Girgs-Foligno
^talk about depth not to mention gerbe,kaleta,tropp and a slew of potential bottom 6 possibilities. Going forward our top 9 looks balanced, deep, and has a plethroa of players with different styles...

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Good job Cody. Say nothing. Leave that **** behind. Start over and move forward.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
Hodgson is built like Henrik Sedin...and he thinks the game just as well...the problem is, it may just take him the same amount of time before he breaks out as a major offensive contributor.

Still glad we got him, and still think Kassian can be a good fit in Vancouver.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Hodgson is built like Henrik Sedin...and he thinks the game just as well...the problem is, it may just take him the same amount of time before he breaks out as a major offensive contributor.

Still glad we got him, and still think Kassian can be a good fit in Vancouver.

agreed(though Idt I'll ever put a sedin and cody in the same category)...i think Cody was overkill of what Van already had, whereas a guy like Kassian is exactly what they needed to compete come playoff time.

I will say as a disclaimer that I dont ever see Kassian turning into Lucic's-light like many people once thought. I dont see him potting 30 nhl goals ever. I was sky high on him for the longest time but after watching him in Rochester I completely soured on him being any more than Ryan Malone junior.

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
This is going to work out as a steal for our side. Hodgson will likely work out as a 2nd line center (or better) and Sulzer has been serviceable on the blue line. When Kassian plays his best, he can be a 2nd liner but he rarely hit that level in Buffalo and Rochester. Gragnani played poorly enough to not get a qualifying offer.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Hodgson, who is on a two-way, entry-level deal that allowed him to be sent to the minors during the NHL lockout, was dealt for winger Zack Kassian and defenceman Marc-Andre Gragnini, who was subsequently released by the Canucks and signed as a free agent with the Carolina Hurricanes. Defenceman Alexander Sulzer also went to the Sabres.
"Gragnini," eh, TSN?
zMCAI.gif

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Still think this is a good trade for both teams and both players are going to take several years to really start putting their full potential together. Still think Buffalo wins out in terms of pure value.

Sulzer-Grags was technically a second trade IIRC and either way though it's obvious we won it, I have the feeling that there was a fair amount of luck involved in Sulzer turning out so (modestly) well for us, rather than Darcy thinking he found a gem at the time. Moving Grags was a necessity so that Lindy would stop playing the guy.

LGBuffalo

Jan 9, 2011
E PA
I think this trade was fantastic for Buffalo has Hodgson is exactly what the organization needed. What really pleases me though is how well Sulzer played down the stretch. I don't think many people predicted that and that portion of the trade really paid immediate dividends.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Still think this is a good trade for both teams and both players are going to take several years to really start putting their full potential together. Still think Buffalo wins out in terms of pure value.

It is good for both teams. Win-win trades create positive, long-term relations between organizations and increase the odds of similar trades in the future. It's good to have a trade partner who wants to dance, and Regier/Gillis seem to have that.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
It is good for both teams. Win-win trades create positive, long-term relations between organizations and increase the odds of similar trades in the future. It's good to have a trade partner who wants to dance, and Regier/Gillis seem to have that.

Kesler for Leino :sarcasm:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Kesler for Leino :sarcasm:

Don't laugh too hard.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412929

While NHL players prepare for the upcoming shortened NHL season, Vancouver Canucks forward Ryan Kesler says there is no timeframe for his return.

Kesler, 28, underwent surgery on his left shoulder in May and a left wrist operation in late June but his recovery has been slower than anticipated.

"Our goal for Ryan is that he's able to play the next 10 years, not the next two months," Kesler's agent Kurt Overhardt said. "We are working with the club closely on his recovery and we are all on the same page."

Kesler has been battered the last two seasons.

and yes I would still trade Leino for him. So I guess you can still laugh :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad