Hodgson or Kadri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rover*

I think there's just more upside with Kadri. His playmaking is already pretty good. When the Leafs were on their slump, they called him up in the game against Vancouver and that was their best performance in a while, they lost the game but it helped get them out of the slump and Kadri got Versteeg/Kulemin goin who he played with on that game. Then they demoted his position after he wasn't too successful with Kessel. I don't think he's gonna be successful as that centre for Kessel, I would've liked to see him get top 6 minutes this year on the second line. Why not have him there instead of Crabb and put Crabb on the 3rd?

Kadri was terrible the in his first game against the Canucks. Could barely skate a couple of strides before getting knocked down.

I still don't get why people are so scared to point out the obvious with Hodgson - he's not very good. He's a poor skater, and pretty soft to boot. What's more, he doesn't have any standout skill to make anyone think he's got any kind of undeniable upside. His calling cards are "smarts" and "character", and he's built his reputation as a prospect on those fairly suspect legs. He's struggling to be even an average player in the AHL at this point. His upside is looking more and more like a Matt Stajan type player.

Kadri's a year younger, and simply better than Hodgson already. Not only is Kadri easily putting up a PPG as the youngest player in the AHL, but he's doing it on a team where no other player is coming anywhere close to that level of production. And if being the considerably more skilled and productive and younger prospect isn't enough, Kadri also brings a consistent grit and physical edge which Hodgson never does.

I can't imagine that there is any person in the hockey world who, if they were actually running a team and their job actually depended on making good decisions for their hockey team, wouldn't choose kadri. they'd be stupid not to.

I still don't get why people are so scared to point out the obvious with Kadri - he's not very good. He's is weak and pretty soft to boot. What's more, he doesn't have any standout skill to make anyone to think he's got any kind of undeniable upside. His calling cards are "being a leafs savior" and "slick hands" and he's built his reputation as a prospect on those fairly suspect legs. He has performed well in the AHL but so has Hodgson. His upside is looking more and more like a Maxim Afinogenov type player.

Hodgson is albeit older but is simply better than Kadri. Not only is Hodgson 3rd leading goal scoring on this team, but he's doing it while injured for a significant portion of the year and coming off a major injury while being on a team that scores less goalies overall. And if being the considerably more skilled and more well recognized prospect (CHL player of the team, top point getting at WJC, HF top prospect), Hodgson also brings intangibles which Kadri never does.

I can't imagine that there is any person in the hockey world who, if they were actually running a team and their job actually depended on making good decisions for their hockey team, wouldn't choose Hodgson. they'd be stupid not to.

Last edited by a moderator:

JSilvius*

Kadri was terrible the in his first game against the Canucks. Could barely skate a couple of strides before getting knocked down.

I still don't get why people are so scared to point out the obvious with Kadri - he's not very good. He's is weak and pretty soft to boot. What's more, he doesn't have any standout skill to make anyone to think he's got any kind of undeniable upside. His calling cards are "being a leafs savior" and "slick hands" and he's built his reputation as a prospect on those fairly suspect legs. He has performed well in the AHL but so has Hodgson. His upside is looking more and more like a Maxim Afinogenov type player.

Hodgson is albeit older but is simply better than Kadri. Not only is Hodgson 3rd leading goal scoring on this team, but he's doing it while injured for a significant portion of the year and coming off a major injury while being on a team that scores less goalies overall. And if being the considerably more skilled and more well recognized prospect (CHL player of the team, top point getting at WJC, HF top prospect), Hodgson also brings intangibles which Kadri never does.

I can't imagine that there is any person in the hockey world who, if they were actually running a team and their job actually depended on making good decisions for their hockey team, wouldn't choose Hodgson. they'd be stupid not to.

This post was honestly painful to read.

Jan 27, 2010
Burlington

:shakehead

Wow. I'm not even going to get into this one. Custy.

chopkins

Super Bowl Champs
Aug 7, 2009
Vancouver
Both players have 1st line upside, but I think both will more likely be great 2nd line centers on contending teams. In other words, you won't win any Cups with these guys as your #1 center. Kadri isn't as strong in his own end which means top 6 or bust, while Hodgson can play anywhere. Kadri has a higher ceiling, while Hodgson has a higher chance of being a consistent NHLer (though, I don't think there's any doubt that both will be full-time NHLers next year).

Kadri will definately have more pressure put on him to perform, due to the Leafs' lack of offensive talent. That may end up hurting him in the long-run. Hodgson, on the other hand, can slowly make his way up the Nucks' line-up because they're loaded with offensive talent. I personally see him starting next year on the 3rd line and finishing the year with Ryan Kesler on the 2nd in the playoffs. There will be no pressure on him to perform right off the bat, which may benefit him.

I don't think people should put too much weight on the recent Moose-Marlies game. Hodgson looks terribly slow right now because he went over a month without any workouts. Before his injury, he was consistently Manitoba's best skater even when not putting points on the board.

Lil Tuzzi Bert

Slaw Bunnies
Jul 14, 2009
TVA

Yay! First time I get to use the ignore option.:shakehead

Meganuck*

Kadri clearly showed he doesnt belong in the NHL and on a team that is desperate for offense. Eberle, Hall and Paajarvi all made it on a team that needed scoring.

Kadri is soft, doesnt have speed and has great hands when noone is checking him in the shootout. I'm sure that a lot of people have to rationalize why he was picked where he was, but it's clear that it was a bad pick. Had the Leafs not taken him, he probably would have slid around 10 slots or so. Similar to Fowler, except that Fowler is the real deal and playing the hardest position effectively in his rookie season.

Kadri played 4 games with the Leafs and was a non factor. Offensively, Defensively. Every aspect of the game. The guy (imo) has bust written all over him. He was invisible at the WJC and his team didnt win. Says a lot about a guy.

Hodgson has had a tough time with the back injury and now subsequently the orbital bone. Had he been on another team (like the Leafs), he would have immediately made the team and would probably be in his 3rd year. Such is the price to pay for offensive depth when a young player cant crack the lineup. understandable. I think he has a permanent roster spot next season at which point he will outscore Kadri by a lot and we'll have to hear about how he plays on a better team.

2 years from now, this wont even be a comparison as Hodgson will be a top 6 forward and Kadri will be a fringe NHLer at best.

mcphllp

Dion @ 6.5=Discount
Dec 27, 2008
Kadri clearly showed he doesnt belong in the NHL and on a team that is desperate for offense. Eberle, Hall and Paajarvi all made it on a team that needed scoring.

Kadri is soft, doesnt have speed and has great hands when noone is checking him in the shootout. I'm sure that a lot of people have to rationalize why he was picked where he was, but it's clear that it was a bad pick. Had the Leafs not taken him, he probably would have slid around 10 slots or so. Similar to Fowler, except that Fowler is the real deal and playing the hardest position effectively in his rookie season.

Kadri played 4 games with the Leafs and was a non factor. Offensively, Defensively. Every aspect of the game. The guy (imo) has bust written all over him. He was invisible at the WJC and his team didnt win. Says a lot about a guy.

Hodgson has had a tough time with the back injury and now subsequently the orbital bone. Had he been on another team (like the Leafs), he would have immediately made the team and would probably be in his 3rd year. Such is the price to pay for offensive depth when a young player cant crack the lineup. understandable. I think he has a permanent roster spot next season at which point he will outscore Kadri by a lot and we'll have to hear about how he plays on a better team.

2 years from now, this wont even be a comparison as Hodgson will be a top 6 forward and Kadri will be a fringe NHLer at best.

so if hodgson has more offensive ability than kadri how does kadri have more points in less games?

Meganuck*

so if hodgson has more offensive ability than kadri how does kadri have more points in less games?
hasnt been healthy for quite some time. I'm sure that the WJC which is the peak of junior hockey should prove that (where Kadri disappeared and Hodgson led the tournament). Like I said, 2 years from today this wont even be a thought. This happens all the time. TSN and CBC do an excellent job making a mountain out of a molehill (and in this case, a prospect) and expectations are way to high for the kid.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Yes, because I'm sure Bryan Murray is really stupid enough to tell the guy before him what player he is going to take. Murray wanted Cowen and got him.

That's like playing poker and showing your cards to the guy before you and letting him decide what he's going to do. You ACTUALLY believed that?!? :laugh:

He's played 17 games and was a non factor. That just further strengthens what I stated about Kadri and his (lack of) hands outside of a shootout.

I'm sorry, I missed how many NHL drafts you've attended in person to listen to the G.M.'s speaking with eachother.

Unlike here, where any Joe Schmuk can hide behind a computer, G.M.'s are held accountable for what they say. If Murray says he wants player A, he actually wants him.

Also, you think Murray was trying to trade up to draft Cowen? Why would he possibly try trading up when the player he wanted would fall right into his lap anyways? Use your head.

On the Kadri issue, people claiming he has no hands have clearly never seen him play. Let me help you out... Search Nazem Kadri on www.youtube.com

You wanna talk about intangibles? Well Kadri brings the grit that Hodgson never will. You can have all the leadership you want on the ice but that isn't gonna scare any opponents away. Kadri has already shown at the AHL level that he's more than willing to not only drop bodies, but his gloves as well. Also, while I agree his skating wasn't the best at the beginning of the season, that can be blamed on the fact that he had a hip flexor injury to start off the preseason. (That's right, we can pull the injury card out too)

Meganuck*

I think the stupid part is how many people actually believe that Murray wanted Kadri.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
hasnt been healthy for quite some time. I'm sure that the WJC which is the peak of junior hockey should prove that (where Kadri disappeared and Hodgson led the tournament). Like I said, 2 years from today this wont even be a thought. This happens all the time. TSN and CBC do an excellent job making a mountain out of a molehill (and in this case, a prospect) and expectations are way to high for the kid.

Do I need to begin to name players who had good World Juniors, yet never amounted to anything or at the very least didn't reach potential?

TYayo

Sep 10, 2009

Ha this is a crock of *****

First off I'm gonna say that if Hodgson was a Leaf prospect..and Kadri was a Canucks Prospect..everyones opinions would be different....all non-leaf Fans would be saying he's injured to much..way to slow to be an impact player in the league...no way you can argue that...people love to hate on Leafs players and you obviously like to think your guys are better then other teams guys..
Leaf Fans would be in love with Hodgson at the same time and bash on KAdri for having way to many giveaways and only being an offensive player.

Truth of the matter is looking at this way
Hodgson most points in Junior is 92. (43 Goals) 53 Games
Kadri most point in Junior is 93. (35 Goals) 56 Games

AHL
Hodgson
28 GP 10 G - 6A -16point
Kadri
24 GP 8 G 16 A - 24 Points

Overall I think both players are good and both teams expected big things from them and neither has really been an impact player YET

Obviously Hodgsons injures have slowed his development and the faster game in the pro ranks have showed that he needs to work on his speed and be able to put a long run of consecutive games together to get a really good feel for his game again.
Kadri on the other hand just really isn't ready to be a full-time nhler yet. But he does have a very good skill set and the reasons he isn't ready can be fixed (i.e still needs to put on a bit more weight..and learn to try and not do too much in the offensive zone causing give-aways) more time in the A will help this..he seems like a kid that is willing to learn and do anything to make the NHL his permanent home.

End of the day they both have the ability to be all-stars and have the ability to be bust...

Meganuck*

I'm sorry, I missed how many NHL drafts you've attended in person to listen to the G.M.'s speaking with eachother.

Unlike here, where any Joe Schmuk can hide behind a computer, G.M.'s are held accountable for what they say. If Murray says he wants player A, he actually wants him.

Also, you think Murray was trying to trade up to draft Cowen? Why would he possibly try trading up when the player he wanted would fall right into his lap anyways? Use your head.

On the Kadri issue, people claiming he has no hands have clearly never seen him play. Let me help you out... Search Nazem Kadri on www.youtube.com

You wanna talk about intangibles? Well Kadri brings the grit that Hodgson never will. You can have all the leadership you want on the ice but that isn't gonna scare any opponents away. Kadri has already shown at the AHL level that he's more than willing to not only drop bodies, but his gloves as well. Also, while I agree his skating wasn't the best at the beginning of the season, that can be blamed on the fact that he had a hip flexor injury to start off the preseason. (That's right, we can pull the injury card out too)
So a GM is going to speak to another one when he's Mic'd Up? And TELL the truth? You guys sure are gullible.

The rest of your post is essentially :boredom:

Kadri didnt display grit and yes, he did show hands at the AHL level but obviously didnt at the NHL level.

Meganuck*

Do I need to begin to name players who had good World Juniors, yet never amounted to anything or at the very least didn't reach potential?
by all means. Also show me a list of top10 leaf draft picks that panned out as well.

TYayo

Sep 10, 2009
I think the stupid part is how many people actually believe that Murray wanted Kadri.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzgalcl3tD8

:dunno:

So you are saying Murray went to Burkes table at the draft..looking to trade up for someone other than Kadri..and when Burke said he was taking Kadri..Murray just said that is the person he wanted and just walked away? All just for good TV cuz they were mic'd up and making whoever he really wanted to draft feel like a 2nd option? Makes perfect sense

Last edited:

Meganuck*

So you believe Burke everytime he says he's not trading a player? or not looking for a trade? and like I said Murray didnt seem too disappointed when Burke said he's taking Kadri.

The Sens have a pretty good history of drafting dmen in the 1st round. It seems like it's part of their philosphy. Makes sense considering they also traded their pick for Rundblad.

underdog

Jul 30, 2003
British Columbia
Visit site
As a Leafs fan I am a big fan of Hodgson.

However, in the case of a thread like this, the best answer is "both are good prospects", because everyone knows how this will end up:

40% Leafs fans - pick Kadri
40% Canucks fans - pick Hodgson
10% Leafs haters - pick Hodgson
10% Posters with unbiased opinions

I hate the Leafs and the Canucks, so I guess I'm unbiased. If I were a GM I'd rather have Kadri than Hodgson at this point in there careers. Hodgson's back injury would scare me away, however if he was healthy it may be another story.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It's just so funny.

No matter how much a leaf prospect outplays another team's prospect, the denizens of hfboards just can't ever admit that the leaf prospect could possibly be better.

There is literally nothing Kadri could do to get many posters here to admit that he is the better player.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

this post would be kind of funny, if it made any sense.

you see, Kadri is the prospect here who's the youngest top-20 PPG player in the AHL this year, as a rookie. he's not the one that's failing to perform as expected.

that is Hodgson. a player who hasn't lived up to his expectations in a long while now.

TYayo

Sep 10, 2009
So you believe Burke everytime he says he's not trading a player? or not looking for a trade? and like I said Murray didnt seem too disappointed when Burke said he's taking Kadri.

The Sens have a pretty good history of drafting dmen in the 1st round. It seems like it's part of their philosphy. Makes sense considering they also traded their pick for Rundblad.

Not the end of the world...Sens obviously would have preferred to have Kadri than anyone else left at that time but couldn't get him..Same thing happened with the Leafs..they said from the get-go they wanted to try and get Tavares..then Schenn if he wasn't available..

Grasshopperking

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
It's just so funny.

No matter how much a leaf prospect outplays another team's prospect, the denizens of hfboards just can't ever admit that the leaf prospect could possibly be better.

There is literally nothing Kadri could do to get many posters here to admit that he is the better player.

Not sure why it matters so much to you.:dunno: Let it go, man.

member 30781

It's just so funny.

Since when has Kadri outplayed Hodgson?

Im curious to find out.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
How can anyone with a brain say Kadri was a ghost in the NHL.

In his 1st game of the season, he should have had two assists if Luongo didnt rob Kulemin from close, and if Bozak could have put a puck above a goalie shin pads.

His last 3 - 4 games were useless because hed been moved from line to line, was healthy scratched and moved from center to wing.

Was Kadri good in the NHL? I dont think anyone can say he was. But 6 points in 17 games as a 20 year old rookie on a weak offensive team is very respectable.

PresidentCamacho*

I've wondered that since day one.

"Ya we're taking Kadri, is that who you wanted?"

"Ya (What an idiot, I'm taking Cowen)"

No way of knowing, but yeah, if little Nazem wants to play men's hockey he is going to have to starting hittin that gym and stop lying to reporters that he's almost 190.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->