Hockey's version of the quarterback position

BJNT

Jan 12, 2015
Forgive me if I put this in the wrong place but I didn’t know exactly where to post this question. In the 21 years that I’ve been a fan of the hockey it’s a question that I really haven’t gotten a clear answer to.

Football has the quarterback and basketball has the point guard. What is the hockey equivalent of these positions? I’ve heard from some that it’s center and from others it’s defenseman especially on the power play.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
1. We say a point man (usually a defenseman) at the offensive blueline on the powerplay is quarterbacking the play (not all point men on the PP do this, but many do, as the go-to guy like a point guard at the top of the circle in basketball, deciding whom to dish off to or whether to take a shot himself.

2. A center like Bobby Clarke and Wayne Gretzky had an "office" behind the net on the powerplay, bringing the puck there and the defending defensemen have to decide whether to cover the pass (like man-to-man coverage in football) or else to rush the puck carrier from one side of the net, risking leaving that player open to wrap around the other side for a quality scoring chance himself up close to the crease.

3. On a regular shift, a guy like Joe Thornton or Ryan Getzlaf (and Oates, Gretzky, Federko before them) would bring the puck into the offensive zone (carrying it across the blueline first and avoid an offside pass) and then pivot or change direction and stay high, causing the defenseman covering them to come to an abrupt halt and decide whether to try and check the puck carrier or get ready to intercept the pass or cover the man coming late who is looking to receive the pass. THAT is also quarterbacking a play, but at even strength.

4. A guy like Petr Forsberg looked like a scrambling quarterback from football in that he held onto the puck, weaving around, looking to pass to an open guy, taking heat from opposing players trying to strip the puck from him or knock him down.

5. Wingers could also quarterback, in the traditional hockey sense when they are the point man on the powerplay or on a regular shift if they act like Forsberg (Jagr protected the puck and prided himself as a passer) or simply used their speed and maneuverability to avoid contact while looking for the right pass in the offensive zone (Martin St. Louis, Alex Tanguay). Is Patrick Kane a regular shift quarterback in the offensive zone in this sense? Sometimes, yeah.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
A goalie is like a kicker.

Completely different skill set from everyone else.

You can win without a good kicker, but you can't win with a bad one.

maybe. i think a goalie effects wins in the same way a qb does.

dominant = win
good = playoffs
bad = rebuild

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Most important position in hockey is Centre. So, your #1C.

Or if you're a generational Dman on a team with no elite centre, Like Karlsson,OEL and Suter.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
maybe. i think a goalie effects wins in the same way a qb does.

dominant = win
good = playoffs
bad = rebuild

But you can win with an average goalie like Niemi or Chris Osgood. But can you win the superbowl with aan average QB like Phillip Rivers or Carson Palmer?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
A goalie is like a kicker.

Completely different skill set from everyone else.

You can win without a good kicker, but you can't win with a bad one.
I'm pretty sure teams can still win with a bad kicker over a bad goalie. But the Hasek and rolloson puck lob for a breakaway is kinda like a kick. But best passer will normally quarterback the powerplay be it forward or dman. And then dman for breakouts is probably closest even strength

BJNT

Jan 12, 2015
1. We say a point man (usually a defenseman) at the offensive blueline on the powerplay is quarterbacking the play (not all point men on the PP do this, but many do, as the go-to guy like a point guard at the top of the circle in basketball, deciding whom to dish off to or whether to take a shot himself.

2. A center like Bobby Clarke and Wayne Gretzky had an "office" behind the net on the powerplay, bringing the puck there and the defending defensemen have to decide whether to cover the pass (like man-to-man coverage in football) or else to rush the puck carrier from one side of the net, risking leaving that player open to wrap around the other side for a quality scoring chance himself up close to the crease.

3. On a regular shift, a guy like Joe Thornton or Ryan Getzlaf (and Oates, Gretzky, Federko before them) would bring the puck into the offensive zone (carrying it across the blueline first and avoid an offside pass) and then pivot or change direction and stay high, causing the defenseman covering them to come to an abrupt halt and decide whether to try and check the puck carrier or get ready to intercept the pass or cover the man coming late who is looking to receive the pass. THAT is also quarterbacking a play, but at even strength.

4. A guy like Petr Forsberg looked like a scrambling quarterback from football in that he held onto the puck, weaving around, looking to pass to an open guy, taking heat from opposing players trying to strip the puck from him or knock him down.

5. Wingers could also quarterback, in the traditional hockey sense when they are the point man on the powerplay or on a regular shift if they act like Forsberg (Jagr protected the puck and prided himself as a passer) or simply used their speed and maneuverability to avoid contact while looking for the right pass in the offensive zone (Martin St. Louis, Alex Tanguay). Is Patrick Kane a regular shift quarterback in the offensive zone in this sense? Sometimes, yeah.

So it’s more of a free flowing, positionless type of thing with the best passer on the ice as the facilitator?

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
It’s hard to answer because it depends on the aspect of QB your trying to correlate. In terms of being under a microscope, as well as relying on the execution of the team in front of you, the answer should be goalie. If it’s in terms of controlling the pace of the game, and trying to get the opposition off balance, that’s 1Cs and 1Ds.
I dno, I lean towards G though. Pitchers, QBs and Goalies. They’re all unique positions within their respective sports, and are a major relevance on a teams performance.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
So it’s more of a free flowing, positionless type of thing with the best passer on the ice as the facilitator?
Use it as a verb instead of a noun.

In hockey there are quarterbacking situations (e.g., "He quarterbacks the powerplay").

Oilers93

Apr 27, 2012
Edmonton
But you can win with an average goalie like Niemi or Chris Osgood. But can you win the superbowl with aan average QB like Phillip Rivers or Carson Palmer?

bs-flacco-p1.jpg

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Probably a defenseman or center. I would lean toward center. You just absolutely have to have a 1C to get to the finals, let alone win it. Pens just won the cup with no 1D. It's close though.

I think goalies have to process the game the same way that a QB does. They need to read the play, track the puck, anticipate, know tendencies, etc. QBs need to read coverages, anticipate plays, know tendencies, etc.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Woah. Did you just call Rivers average? He's elite and a HOFer.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Woah. Did you just call Rivers average? He's elite and a HOFer.

More like Antonio Gates is a hall of famer. Without Gates, Rivers wouldn't have put up nearly the numbers that he has. Also Rivers has led the league in interceptions more times than he led the league in passing yards. He only took the Chargers to the AFC Championship game one time, and has only been in the playoffs five times in 11 seasons, including just once in in the last seven years. You do, to a point, have to separate the player from the team, but that only goes so far because you can't put every "good player on a bad team" into the hall.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

carson palmer is above average since he joined arizona. the cardinals always get a major injury at the worst time and their superbowl chances go down the drain. if they were healthy one year, then they could have probably won it

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
How many times has a team won the Stanley Cup without an elite #1 C?

Now compare that to the amount of times a team has won the Stanley Cup without an elite #1 winger, elite #1 goalie or elite #1 D.

Of course all of those are important. But having one of the best centers in the world seems to be almost mandatory for winning the Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad