Hockey's Future's Top 50 Prospects: 26-50

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

NYRangers said:
Anyone here from Sweden? From the Swedish fans I've spoken with Henrik Lundqvist is the best goalie prospect to ever come out of Sweden. I actually haven't heard otherwise. Alex Steen hasn't dominated any league (regardless of position) like Henrik has. Aswell as dominate international play.

In the best league in the world Lunqvist is 13-4 .929 Save % and 1.71 gaa

I don't think Steen is a better prospect.
At the age of 20, Mikael Tellqvist dominated the SEL. Yes, there's a great chance that Lundqvist may end up being the best Swedish goaltender in the world, but Alexander Steen's been rated as the top prospect for a while now and it's up to EP.com's staff to figure out who's the better prospect.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Leafaholix said:
According to fans of the Swedish Elite League and people I like to call "experts", he's as close to a sure-fire NHL player as there is.

You have good points. I don't necessarily think Kesler will be better than Steen. Steen will probably be the better NHL player but as of right now, I think Kesler is the safer option.

Lets just agree to disagree.

You stick to your "experts" and I will stick to what I have seen of Kesler in the NHL against some of the world's best.

leafaholix*

NYRangers said:
Wouldn't they be biased though?
They're the same people that have been putting out everything you're reading on Henrik Lundqvist. Personally, I've been following Johan Nilsson's (Predatore) work since June of 2002 and he's as objective as they come.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Hootchie Cootchie said:
So the credibility of the mock-draft lists on this forum isnt up to your par?

Good, now I can disreguard your opinion too. Thanks for coming out.

Up to my par?

They obviously weren't up to the par of:

-24 NHL General Managers who've experienced hockey all of their lives.
-Team USA scouts who didn't think he was good enough to be announced to Team USA (with the first 12).

Oiltalk

May 20, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Jovanovski = Norris said:
So if my 5 year old cousin and my girlfriend from the 9th grade and all of her siblings and all her pets had Kesler in their top 5 in their mock-draft lists; I suppose we'd have a steal in our hands too.
No because Kesler was never thought of to be a game breaker, and so he'd never be thought of as being a top 5 to begin with.

Schremp fell for reasons, and is looking to be fixing one of those reasons this season with his commitment to defence.

se7en*

Up to my par?

They obviously weren't up to the par of:

24 NHL General Managers who've experienced hockey all of their lives.

Make it 15-20 GMs. Unless you think Schremp was supposed to go 1st overall. Either way its too bad for them.

-Team USA scouts who didn't think he was good enough to be announced to Team USA (with the first 12).

Out of curiousity who are the centres for team USA? Hes a centre so it would be out of 4, not 12 wouldnt it.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Oiltalk said:
No because Kesler was never thought of to be a game breaker, and so he'd never be thought of as being a top 5 to begin with.

Schremp fell for reasons, and is looking to be fixing one of those reasons this season with his commitment to defence.

He is a game-breaker no doubt. I would've have loved for Edmonton to pass on him with their 25th pick so Vancouver could've nabbed him at 26. Even Brian Burke commented how perfect it would've been to grab Schremp. Don't get me wrong, he is a great prospect with amazing potential, I just don't think he should be that high considering Andrew Ladd was a 4th overall pick who plays a much more well-rounded game and AJ Thelen was a 9th overall pick who also has an astonishing resume. And both Thelen and Ladd were also #30-something prospects to that list. I think Schremp is wonderful but he just shouldn't have been that high. Thats all.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
For the several fans who can't wait to disparage this list because apperantly my influence over it:

I was not on the Top 50 committe. I had no influence over it what-so-ever.

Make you feel better? Steen is about where he deserves to be. I'd personally have Coca Cola about 10 spots higher, and I thought Eric Fehr was a little low as well, but other than that, not a bad list.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Leafaholix said:
At the age of 20, Mikael Tellqvist dominated the SEL. Yes, there's a great chance that Lundqvist may end up being the best Swedish goaltender in the world, but Alexander Steen's been rated as the top prospect for a while now and it's up to EP.com's staff to figure out who's the better prospect.

Tellqvist dominated? What? His best GAA in a season is 2.08 and his best Save % in a season is .914. Note, that is his career best in the SEL. WIth a considerabley better league Lunqvist has a .939 save %. Henrik's CAREER SEL save % is .928 . The numbers aren't even close.

His Save % stats for the last 3 seasons are 939, 927 and 948. Tellqvist doesnt come close to that. if that isnt dominating I don't know what is.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Hootchie Cootchie said:
Make it 15-20 GMs. Unless you think Schremp was supposed to go 1st overall. Either way its too bad for them.

Out of curiousity who are the centres for team USA? Hes a centre so it would be out of 4, not 12 wouldnt it.

And 15-20 GMs didn't have him top 10 in their "mock-draft lists"?!? C'est horreur!!!

I don't think the fact that he is a center annulifies his eligibility. Team Canada always names more than 4 centers to their National teams (Olympics, World Cup, etc..). And I don't think Schremp would forget how to score simply because he is beginning the face-off a few feet away from his normal residence.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Chaos said:
How so? Steen and Lundqvist are both Swedish, playing in the SEL.

Wasnt speaking of Lunqvist. I was talking about "Swedish fans say he's as close to a sure-fire NHL player as there is."

Oiltalk

May 20, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
He is a game-breaker no doubt. I would've have loved for Edmonton to pass on him with their 25th pick so Vancouver could've nabbed him at 26. Even Brian Burke commented how perfect it would've been to grab Schremp. Don't get me wrong, he is a great prospect with amazing potential, I just don't think he should be that high considering Andrew Ladd was a 4th overall pick who plays a much more well-rounded game and AJ Thelen was a 9th overall pick who also has an astonishing resume. And both Thelen and Ladd were also #30-something prospects to that list. I think Schremp is wonderful but he just shouldn't have been that high. Thats all.
Fair enough. What we don't know is how much emphasis was put into how well the players are playing this season so far, and how much is based on potential, and or experience so far. Personally I think Schremp has more top end potential than that of Ladd, but that Ladd is a much safer pick to make the NHL, and be successful. Based on everything I believe Schremp sits around the range he should be at, but of course it's all my opinion.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
NYRangers said:
Anyone here from Sweden? From the Swedish fans I've spoken with Henrik Lundqvist is the best goalie prospect to ever come out of Sweden. I actually haven't heard otherwise. Alex Steen hasn't dominated any league (regardless of position) like Henrik has. Aswell as dominate international play.

In the best league in the world Lunqvist is 13-4 .929 Save % and 1.71 gaa

I don't think Steen is a better prospect.

The current season isn't a factor in the ratings. The list was made based on information up until the start of this season.

se7en*

And 15-20 GMs didn't have him top 10 in their "mock-draft lists"?!? C'est horreur!!!

I don't think the fact that he is a center annulifies his eligibility. Team Canada always names more than 4 centers to their National teams (Olympics, World Cup, etc..). And I don't think Schremp would forget how to score simply because he is beginning the face-off a few feet away from his normal residence.

I was just asking; no need to be sarcastic, I really am not aware of the process Team USA has to selct their final 12, because thats a forward lineup without any extra players, etc, so obviously its different from how Team Canada selects their roster, isnt it? But that he wouldnt crack your top-60 because "24 GMs passed on him" seems pretty weak to me, no offense.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Hootchie Cootchie said:
Check pages 100+ on this forum. Trust me, they're there.

I think he'd have better luck searching the mock draft forum in the fantasy section. All the mock drafts are contained there.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
Ryan Whitney being 45 is an absolute disgrace. Why is this place so down on him?

Yeah he's on the list, but he should be top 20, top 30 at absolute worst. The guy has upside up the wazoo and is coming off a very nice season...

Also...Schwarz>JDD

Ryan Whitney will be lucky to top out at Tom Poti.

leafaholix*

Jay Thompson said:
Make you feel better? Steen is about where he deserves to be. I'd personally have Coca Cola about 10 spots higher, and I thought Eric Fehr was a little low as well, but other than that, not a bad list.
Well, you're views on anything related to the Maple Leafs are taken with a grain of salt. The point isn't that Steen should be higher, because if he's at #36, there should be a hell of a lot of great prospects on the list ahead of him... and Ryan Kesler isn't great.

And if there was 35 prospects better than Steen, I'd be very excited about the future of the game and I'd look forward... but the fact is that we have sure-fire NHL players with 2nd line upside over sure-fire NHL players with top line upside.

Disco Volante

Mar 11, 2002
2nd to FloydianSlip
Visit site
I always appreciate the effort and HF's stuff is always a good read, but man, Miller going from #9 to #41 makes you wonder about those lists' worth (now was it the last list that was completely guessed ******** or this one?) ;)

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Hootchie Cootchie said:
I was just asking; no need to be sarcastic, I really do not the process Team USA has to selct their final 12, because thats a forward lineup without any extra players, etc, so obviously its different from how Team Canada selects their roster, isnt it? But that he wouldnt crack your top-60 because "24 GMs passed on him" seems pretty weak to me, no offense.

I didn't mean to be rude but I am a stickl'er to facts and reality. Maybe Schremp has phenomal skillsets and will dominate the NHL but the fact that 24 NHL General Managers and the Team USA selection committee all passed on him shows something. They've experienced hockey all their lives and knows every nuance of what it takes to be a good hockey player. Top 60 for a player pick 24th overall in comparison to hundreds of prospects drafted over the past couple of years - it isn't too low to be honest.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
How the hell is JDD over Antero Niittymaki and Marek Schwarz?

And again Harding goes unnoticed. His numbers are very similiar to JDD and was in fact a backup for the Canadian Junior team and I don't think he'll be in the top 25 personally.

Oh well I like the list, it feels solid...

Just I hope to God Koivu isn't in the top 50 anymore...

On second thought...

Did Olesz's concussion drop him down that far?

Mike Richards almost in the 40s? I thought he was a sure fire pick? or is that Jeff Carter?

As I said Niittymaki feels a little low. Roy, Higgins I can see dropping. Bernier is a solid pick, but I wouldn't know where I would put him.

Schwarz, Whitney, and Grebshkov all took a beating it looks like. If Montoya is in the top 25 I will be amazed. Dubnyk hopefully isn't.

Fehr, Olesz and Miller...Fehr and Miller I wouldn't know where to put but Olesz I think could be lower on the list like in the 20s.

JDD needs to be in the 40s-50s...Good goalie but a great goalie crop coming out of 2002.

Tukonen feels right.

Most of the picks could be shifted, it feels like but I commend HF for doing this because it is pretty damn hard.

Last edited:

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
andrew ladd, robbie schremp, and laurie tukonen all ahead of steen.. *interesting*

grebeshkov and whitney took a beating imo, and perry imo is a little high

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad