Hockey's Future's Top 50 Prospects: 26-50

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Good I always thought Miller was overrated. Aswell as Schremp. Not to say this proves they are. But that someone else agrees.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
I don't mean to sound like a pessimistic ass but isn't Robbie Schremp a bit high? I am sure he's got skills oozing out of both years and Kovalev-like potential but #32 ahead of a couple of guys who were drafted ahead of him only a couple of months ago? Since then he has been left of Team USA and hasn't done anything to give him any of an edge. I think he is a top 30 prospect potential-wise but gathering other factors and intangibles, he wouldn't crack my top 60. But otherwise, this is a great list and an excellent read!

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Jovanovski = Norris said:
I don't mean to sound like a pessimistic ass but isn't Robbie Schremp a bit high? I am sure he's got skills oozing out of both years and Kovalev-like potential but #32 ahead of a couple of guys who were drafted ahead of him only a couple of months ago? Since then he has been left of Team USA and hasn't done anything to give him any of an edge. I think he is a top 30 prospect potential-wise but gathering other factors and intangibles, he wouldn't crack my top 60. But otherwise, this is a great list and an excellent read!

By the poll in the other Forum ('Fans top 50 prospects) the popular opinion is he is the 22nd best prospect. But I agree with you.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
34. Alexander Steen, Center, Toronto Maple Leafs

The son of former Winnipeg Blues star Thomas Steen, Alexander has progressed nicely since being drafted in first round by the Toronto Maple Leafs back in 2002. Although the Swedish developmental system is struggling at the moment, Steen has done very well to establish himself as a productive player in the Swedish Elite League. A talented, often flashy player, Steen is also a strong defensive player who has been praised for his leadership. He may be ready to come over to North America when the lockout is over, but for now, he’ll continue to play a significant role for his club team in Frolunda.

Just thought I'd point out he doesn't play for Frolunda anymore.....kind of helps if you know what team he plays for, no? And Im not even gonna worry about the fact that there aren't any Stars there(and I can't imagine HF putting any in the top 25), because quite frankly, I kind of figured it would turn out that way. Just wonder where Kesler and King will end up ;)

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup

I guess getting 13g 19a 32pts in 19 games for t2nd or 3rd in league scoring while improving defensively is considered nothing these days :loony:

leafaholix*

Wow, Corey Perry at 36? Seems a little high, doesn't it?

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
trahans99 said:
I guess getting 13g 19a 32pts in 19 games for t2nd or 3rd in league scoring while improving defensively is considered nothing these days :loony:

He had 75 points in 63 games last year and is one year older. That is a good improvement but nothing unexpected. Also, the London Knights are the best team in the OHL and Perry is an offensive juggernaut, Schremp's point totals may be slightly inflated.

There was a reason why 24 players were picked before him in the draft and a reason why he has yet to be named onto Team USA. Unless those scouts GMs and scouts were and still are wrong......

leafaholix*

Wouldn't it be grand if Ryan Kesler cracked the top 25?

A safe player with not as much upside as guys like Higgins, Steen, Eriksson, Getzlaf, Olesz, etc... all very safe prospects but with higher upside offensively.

Anyone else see the lopsidedness?

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
How did Eric Fehr dropped a handful of spots, and Eminger rise to #27?

HF had Fehr *rising w/ a bullet* on last year's list at 36, and he's been nothing but dynamic since.

Oh well.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Leafaholix said:

A safe player with not as much upside as guys like Higgins, Steen, Eriksson, Getzlaf, Olesz, etc... all very safe prospects but with higher upside offensively.

He was 23rd last year, and with mizral(or whatever his name is now) on the committee, who knows. Wouldn't shock me to see both Kesler and King somehow in the top 25 :shakehead .

leafaholix*

Chaos said:
He was 23rd last year, and with mizral(or whatever his name is now) on the committee, who knows. Wouldn't shock me to see both Kesler and King somehow in the top 25 :shakehead .
I really have no problem with Kesler being ahead of guys like Steen, but there really should be a reason why. They're both similar players, both are sure-fire NHL players, but Steen has the clear advantage in upside.

What exactly does Ryan Kesler have over Alexander Steen besides playing in the Vancouver Canucks organization?

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Leafaholix said:
I really have no problem with Kesler being ahead of guys like Steen, but there really should be a reason why. They're both similar players, both are sure-fire NHL players, but Steen has the clear advantage in upside.

What exactly does Ryan Kesler have over Alexander Steen besides playing in the Vancouver Canucks organization?

He's played in the NHL already, so of course that gives him about an 8 mile head start :shakehead . Whenever talking about Kesler, it always seems their(Canucks fans) main defense for him is that he's played in the NHL already.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Leafaholix said:

I am not disagreeing with you as Kesler certainly has less offensive potential but he is definitely safer of a commodity as opposed to the aforementioned class.

Eriksson, Getzlaf, Olesz, Steen and Higgins have combined for a grand total of 2 NHL games while Kesler played 28 NHL games as a 18 year old, scored 5 points and was solid defensively.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
I am not disagreeing with you as Kesler certainly has less offensive potential but he is definitely safer of a commodity as opposed to the aforementioned class.

Eriksson, Getzlaf, Olesz, Steen and Higgins have combined for a grand total of 2 NHL games while Kesler played 28 NHL games as a 18 year old, scored 5 points and was solid defensively.

My point exactly. He doesnt have nearly the offensive upside of guys like Getzlaf, Eriksson, Steen, Higgins, but the fact that he has played a whopping 28 NHL games is supposed to negate that.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Getzlaf should have been top 20.

I can live with Perry at 36.

Honestly who do you want in your organization Grigorenko or Getzlaf?

leafaholix*

First thing first, Kesler played in the NHL at the age of 19, he's a 1984.

You're second point, I can't see how he's a safer bet than Steen. Alexander has been pegged as a sure-fire NHL player since the age of 18 and has developed into Sweden's top prospect.

I'm not sure I'd take Kesler over Sweden's #5 prospect... he's a guy that'll play in the NHL, but so is Steen. And Alex has much higher potential, so I fail to see how Kesler is still higher than him on these lists.

Ryan is just 6 months younger than Alex Steen, so it's not a big difference in age, it's not as if Kesler's done the unthinkable to bump him ahead of such superior talents.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Chaos said:
My point exactly. He doesnt have nearly the offensive upside of guys like Getzlaf, Eriksson, Steen, Higgins, but the fact that he has played a whopping 28 NHL games is supposed to negate that.

He is also now 6'3'' and 200+ pounds. But I think you should relax as we haven't yet seen the top 25. For all we know, he could be outside of the top 50. But even if he is a top 25 prospect, insofar into the year, Kesler has 5 goals and 12 points in 14 AHL games against many NHL'ers. His offensive upside is lower than the others mentioned but it isn't non-existent either.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Fehr is much more of a sure thing than Eminger at this point. I'd put Fehr in the top 20 and take Eminger out of the top 50. I'm just not sold on Eminger. I'll throw a party if I'm wrong because the Caps can sure use a good Dman.

Portland fans: How has Eminger looked in the AHL this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->