Hockey's Future Top 50 Prospects Spring 2006: 11-25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
So the top 10 is what? Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, Lehtonen Phaneuf, Suter, Lundqvist, Johnson, Carter, and someone else I'm missing?

Also how does Ladislav Smid not even rate an honorable mention for the top 50?

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Well obviously we had a point if Hockey's Future thinks it's true enough to say it so boldly as "but he has had some trouble defensively, and currently has a plus/minus rating of –10. If Parise develops his defensive game nearly as much as he has his offense, he will be the next great forward in a long line of New Jersey draftees starring in the NHL."

Regardless, good list as always, though obviously Prucha at least has moved up.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
What...no M-A Pouliot? I am appalled. :sarcasm:

It isn't a top 1000 list. It isn't a top 500 list....it is a top 50 list. And the HM list could go on forever.

If you want to keep complaining about your guy....put pressure on HF to make it a top 100 list.

The list has been fine again this time...although there are guys that I would change and some could move up and down.....all in all a nice effort so far.

ShortHanded

Feb 15, 2006
hard to argue with the inclusion of any of those guys. Really solid list. Thanks to the HF staff for their hard work.

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
David A. Rainer said:
I think Prucha may have come from much further back. If there was a top 500 list, I doubt Prucha would have even made that before this year. ;)

After following Prucha in the 2004 World Championships you knew that Prucha would play in the NHL. Just watching him. However I didn't think he would have 25 goals in 50 games. 30 points of the entire season seemed more than appropriate for his rookie year. However he just continues to amaze.

Rez

Oct 5, 2005
Wow, I would've never imagined that Cam Ward would be ranked above Hannu Toivonen.

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
askme
monster_bertuzzi said:
Leave it to HF to overrate prospects just because they're in the NHL currently.

I don't know about you, but I've always had this thing about preferring prospects whom we can be 99% certain WILL be an NHL'ers and almost positively make an impact over prospects that look extremely good right now but have proven absolutely nothing in the best league in the world.

In my experience, even the most highly touted prospects fail to live up to expectations and it's hardly rare for them to bust completely.
Proven young NHL Talent> Hyped future NHL talent.

I'd have a lot less respect for HF if they downgraded prospects because they appear to have marginally less potential then others but are clearly already producing quite nicely in the NHL.

The end goal is to reach and have an impact in the NHL.
Most if not all of those in the top 10 have already done that, that IMHO definitively vaults them over prospects that may or may not even reach the NHL let alone have an impact.

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
nomoment said:
Wow, I would've never imagined that Cam Ward would be ranked above Hannu Toivonen.

Yeah thats the 1st thing I noticed :)

Also surprised Coburn above Whitney.

I'm surprised Semin is so high :) guess he is gonna be the real deal.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
nomoment said:

Toivonen's AHL stats from the lockout year:

Providence Bruins AHL 54 0 0 19 3017 103 0 7 2.05 29 18 3 1404 0.932

Ward's AHL stats from the lockout year:

Lowell Lock Monsters AHL 50 0 0 19 2828 94 0 6 1.99 27 17 3 1393 0.937

All things considered, Ward has probably a better year and had a year less AHL experience than Toivonen. Plus, Ward's preseason performance really gave light to his NHL potential and it might have been enough to put him over the top. Ward has been winning at every level, and his debut pro season was too good to be ignored, IMO.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
nomoment said:

ward has always been, and always will be better than toivonen

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
I like the list as an Oiler fan. HN's Future Watch had Schremp too high imo (#15) and HF nicked him a little which seems fair.

HN also had Pouliot in the top 40 which is a huge stretch (and I'm a Pouliot booster).

Either way nice to get a different perspective and kudos for all the hard work.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Abyss said:
Yeah thats the 1st thing I noticed :)

Also surprised Coburn above Whitney.

I'm surprised Semin is so high :) guess he is gonna be the real deal.

I'd hope Semin is going to be a good one. Though part of me worries that he'll be stuck in Russia for the next 60 years doing drill. ;)

I would think Ovechkin's play actually helps his stock in some ways. Having Ovey on another line, or on the powerplay with him would create a lot of space.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
TheChief said:
Yeah no question about it. Tends to get unnoticed because he plays for Carolina.

HF Ratings:

Toivonen: 8.0A
Ward: 8.5B

it should be no surprise that HF rated Ward ahead of Toivonen, they've had him ahead of him for the last year

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Metallian said:
ward has always been, and always will be better than toivonen

Toivonen has been better than Ward this season. Ward's numbers, playing on a far, far superior team in Carolina aren't even close to Toivonen's.

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Metallian said:
HF Ratings:

Toivonen: 8.0A
Ward: 8.5B

it should be no surprise that HF rated Ward ahead of Toivonen, they've had him ahead of him for the last year

They upgraded Toivonen to 8.5A

One shouldn't go by ratings to judge who's the better goalie.

They're both in the NHL so you can watch them play. Toivonen is the better goalie so far.

Cyclops II*

Rand said:
I don't know about you, but I've always had this thing about preferring prospects whom we can be 99% certain WILL be an NHL'ers and almost positively make an impact over prospects that look extremely good right now but have proven absolutely nothing in the best league in the world.

In my experience, even the most highly touted prospects fail to live up to expectations and it's hardly rare for them to bust completely.
Proven young NHL Talent> Hyped future NHL talent.

I'd have a lot less respect for HF if they downgraded prospects because they appear to have marginally less potential then others but are clearly already producing quite nicely in the NHL.

The end goal is to reach and have an impact in the NHL.
Most if not all of those in the top 10 have already done that, that IMHO definitively vaults them over prospects that may or may not even reach the NHL let alone have an impact.

The list should be an evaluation of talent. Where the player is currently playing should be irrelevant in most cases. As long as there is only marginal differences between a player currently in the NHL and a prospect then I agree that the NHLer should be given the benefit of the doubt.
However if we are comparing a current NHL forward to a draftee who projects to be capable of 20+ more points when he gets to the NHL then the prospect should Always be rated higher.
And since this is only a top 50 list almost all of the players should make the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad