Dallas
Philadelphia
Tampa Bay

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Lindgren at this point is hard to rank.

But he shouldn't be. He did last season(at the age of 18) essentially what Grigorenko did in 02/03(at the age of 19/20), and Grigorenko got a spot in what, the top 20 at the time? If Lindgren were in the system of one of the more 'popular'(for lack of a better word) teams on here, he'd easily be in the top 50(if not top 30 or higher). A guy like Grigorenko is still living off what he did 4 years ago.

Randall Graves*

You know what I find funny?

All the years when Smid was an Anaheim prospect he never made the list, at the last release he wasn't even listed as an honorable mention, and now he jumps all the way to 31?? I always thought he should be on the list, although probably in the 40's, but what was the selection committee's process here?

KaptainKourage*

Question.. Latendresse ranked #1 Habs prospect and Price & Kost #2 and 3... Kost and Price are 43 and 47 but latendresse is no where between 26-50 and i cant see him break top 25.. how come ?

Retail1LO*

There are only 25 spots remaining. With all the names I've seen posted...there are going to be DOZENS of names not in the top 50 at ALL. Furthermore...with some of the names that will surely make the top 25 this year...there are going to be prospects that were in the top 25 LAST year....that don't even make the entire top 50. Where did THEY go? Honestly...25 spots left. Put together a list of the "shoe-ins"...then look at just how many names are still left. It's astounding. It's even moreso when you consider some of the players that should still take up spots because they haven't met the minimum NHL games played criteria to graduate from being a "prospect".

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I figured Brian Lee would be in the top 50, but not in the top 25, so I don't expect him to be on the next list, although it would be a nice surprise.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
THOSE ARE NHL PROSPECT.The best CHL players don't make them the best NHL'er. Yandle is fast but very small for a defenseman et maybe they don't know if he's gonna adapt to the nhl level.
Remember corey Locke was the CHL player of the year and he had put more points than perry ect...but he was not on the top list because his game doesn't translate to the nhl.

Fyi - Yandle is 6-2 and 195lbs. He was one of the best players at the recent Pacific tournament playing against top "nhl prospects". It looks likely he'll make the NHL sometime this year, even with the Coyotes depth on defense. Just feel that someone who has actually showed considerable progress and achieved something in the last 12-18 months should be on there instead of guys like Frolik.

The Smid example is a perfect illustration of how prospects owned by Canadian teams are rated higher. I remember a few years ago being absolutely slated for daring to argue Briere (Phoenix) was comparable to Comrie (Edmonton).

Skyblaze

Aug 17, 2006
Montreal
I'm almost positive Montreal did not trade up to get Price...

You're absolutely right, it was a lucky shot in the random draw that had the Habs pick 5th where they took Price. Wasn't a trade up so that description does need to be fixed.

I'm also entirely for having the list start at 50 going towards 25 next time around. Makes for a better read.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002

All the years when Smid was an Anaheim prospect he never made the list, at the last release he wasn't even listed as an honorable mention, and now he jumps all the way to 31?? I always thought he should be on the list, although probably in the 40's, but what was the selection committee's process here?

(insert your own conspiracy theory here)

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California

Nothing funny about that at all. Smid's move to North America allowed for more viewings and it doesn't hurt he played well in his first year with the Pirates.

In comparison, a previously unranked Matt Carle is expected by most to be in the top 25 after a Hobey season and a good late season NHL callup. Shea Weber (no. 50 last year) could be a top 15 pick. Big seasons, big exposure = rankings.

No conspiracy here...recall how many Ducks were ranked in the top 25 last year? I'll give you a hint...it was 3.

David A. Rainer

Jun 10, 2002
Huntington Beach
profile.myspace.com
Nothing funny about that at all. Smid's move to North America allowed for more viewings and it doesn't hurt he played well in his first year with the Pirates.

In comparison, a previously unranked Matt Carle is expected by most to be in the top 25 after a Hobey season and a good late season NHL callup. Shea Weber (no. 50 last year) could be a top 15 pick. Big seasons, big exposure = rankings.

No conspiracy here...recall how many Ducks were ranked in the top 25 last year? I'll give you a hint...it was 3.

Not to mention all those prospects on the last list that graduated. A lot of people moved up a great deal.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
So are these the teams without any?

Buffalo
Calgary
Dallas
Philadelphia
Tampa Bay

From Calgary I like Boyd and Irving , not that Im saying they should be necessarily top 50, but I would take Boyd over a few on HF's top 50 list...I just sense hes the real deal and will be an offensive force.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
I figured Brian Lee would be in the top 50, but not in the top 25, so I don't expect him to be on the next list, although it would be a nice surprise.

He could make the top 25, and if he does then I am wrong but I find it disapointing that he continues to be ignored around here. I would think being drafted 9th overall would compell at least a few people to watch a game of his, but I guess not. Playing in college, being stuck behind JJ and EJ on the world junior teams and not being able to attend NHL training camps makes it extremely hard for a player like him to be noticed. Coming from someone who has watched him play, he 100% deserves to be at least somewhere on this list.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
He could make the top 25, and if he does then I am wrong but I find it disapointing that he continues to be ignored around here. I would think being drafted 9th overall would compell at least a few people to watch a game of his, but I guess not. Playing in college, being stuck behind JJ and EJ on the world junior teams and not being able to attend NHL training camps makes it extremely hard for a player like him to be noticed. Coming from someone who has watched him play, he 100% deserves to be at least somewhere on this list.

No offense, but this is a typical homer post.

I happen to really like Lee and think he definetely could of been on the top 50 list. The issue is that very few of the posters here have seen all of the guys play enough to have a valid opinion on those that actually made the top 50 list (I know I haven't). We might really like a prospect, who just coincidentally happens to play for our favorite team (funny how that happens), and decide that the list stinks because our guy isn't included.

Having Lee not make the list isn't a conspiracy theory against him (or OTT fans), and just because he was drafted 9th doesn't mean that he should be guaranteed a spot in the top 50. Him not making the list doesn't mean that he is unnoticed or not a good prospect.

Randall Graves*

I don't care how many Anaheim players were ranked that high, they had to be on the list. Smid did not, and by the way he was playing in North America when the last list came out and was absolutely nowhere to be found, not even on the honorable mention list. Now he goes to Edmonton and becomes a hot commodity?

I am not saying he doesn't deserve to be on the list, he does but he was hardly on the radar until he went to Canada.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad