Hockey's Future Top 50 Prospects Fall 2006: 11-25

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Looks like they snubbed Brian Lee...shocking to say the least.

LuLuBelle

Jul 8, 2005
Teams with 3:
Kings (Tukonen-40, Kopitar-14, O'Sullivan)
Ducks (Perry-30, Ryan-13, Getzlaugh)
Canes (Ladd-28, Ward, J. Johnson)
Caps (Semin, Backstrom, Fehr-48)
Bruins (Rask-26, Toivonen-16, Kessel-15)

Teams with 0:
Buffalo
Calgary
Dallas
Philadelphia
Tampa Bay

Judging by the ranking of the already known Kings and Ducks players, Getzlaugh will be 3 and O'Sullivan will be 4. :)

so who's number 2?

Redden Punches Faces*

Looks like they snubbed Brian Lee...shocking to say the least.

The guy is a bust. You know it, and I know it.

What is wrong with Sens scouting!??!?!? URGHHH!!!:banghead:

ADD::sarcasm:

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
If O'Sullivan is not ranked in the top 50 then there is soemthing wrong with whoever is making this list.

And out of curiousity, is Backstrom THAT much better then Kessel at this point. Lets say you were in a hockey pool and had the first pick overall, would you take Backstrom,Kessel or Staal?? To me its a tough choice, Staal playing with Crosby/Malkin,Kessel already signed and will play for Boston, and Backstrom the obvious center for Oveckhin, with only points counting, who is the obvious choice?

Agree on O'Sullivan, but I think you're missing the point. The prospects aren't being evaluated solely on point production as future indicators of success. There is a hell of a lot more to hockey than just point production. Staal maybe playing with Crosby or Backstrom w/ Ovechkin should have a ZERO impact on their rankings here, because by the time they make the team who knows what their role will be. This is a knowledgable group of people trying to evaluate who will become the better hockey player down the road - not who is the the best selection for your fantasy keeper league.

And for all of those people complaining about the inconsistency between the teams rankings - you do realize that the top 50 list is a group of people that evaluating all available prospects. There are bound to be NUMEROUS differences between their opinions and the individuals that rank the teams top 20 prospects. I don't think that having two different lists makes either one less valid - it just points out that there are many different views.

Also, people need to step back from the ledge if their guy didn't make the top 50 list, or was ranked lower than they would have him. It just kills me when someone is complaining about having a guy 2 spots higher (13 vs 15) when in all likelyhood that is a MINUTE difference.

Roy G Biv*

OH MY GOD

Are you people ill?

TOP 50 doesn't really mean anything.... for God sakes.

There is not a whole lot separating 40-70. They just stopped making the list at 50.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
I doubt it. I mean, after all, Marc Staal and Luc Bourdon have both clearly proven that they are far better than him... :shakehead

First of all, you are right. It is very doubtful he is in the top 10, he just isn't that good. Putting him there would be wrong.

Where you are wrong is concerning Staal and Bourdon. Lee plays in an entirely different league with entirely different playstyles. Staal and Bourdon may be clearly more proven but what makes a better prospect is not who can make the NHL in whatever role first. What makes a better prospect is who will turn out to be the better NHL player. All three have the potential to be #1 defencemen, there is no arguement. Staal and Bourdon are on this list so far ahead of Lee simply because they are OHL players and get more exposure, and they are more NHL ready. That all should not be totally discarded however, I just feel that Lee will turn out to be just as good as Staal and Bourdon and possibly better. If you watch him play and take account of his skills as a hockey player then it should be obvious that he should at least be on this list.

I am aware that goalies are much different from defencemen but the sole reason Carey Price is on this list is because he projects to be a good nhl goalie and he was drafted really high. He didn't have a great season and didn't even make the WJC team, he totally sucked at the training camp. You look at Price by watching him play you know he is going to be a great NHL starter one day, not this year or maybe even next year but he will eventually. Yet he is still on this prospect list. If Price can get on this list then so should Lee. Lee obviously has the skill, he obviously has the attitude and he obviously has the hockey sense to be a great #1 defenceman in the NHL. Yet no one watches him, no one talks about him so no one cares. There is no precident for him, he was not hyped up at the draft like some of the others and he was not elbowing players during his two WJC's. As a player and his projections as a NHL player I feel he clearly belongs on this list. He just doesn't have alot of the outside help that I guess it takes to make this list. I apologize if this is too long to read, I started typing and it just kinda dragged on!

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Kopitar looks better than Ryan so far.. apparently was much better at the Pacific tournament.

The Zookeep

Aug 17, 2006
Whats the criteria to be on that list? Ward and Getzlaf dont belong on there as prospects anymore. Kessel at 15 is a bit surprising, he has skills to match any of the top guys but for whatever reason this kid doesnt get any respect.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
cam barker at 11????? WOW, that is funny. I would put Carle, M Staal, Weber, and Bourdon all ahead of him.

amr120402

Sep 22, 2006
I'm just wondering of the guys that are on the top 50 list or will be or should be who do you guys think has the best offensive potential? Basically which prospects have the top offensive potential?

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
First of all, you are right. It is very doubtful he is in the top 10, he just isn't that good. Putting him there would be wrong.

Where you are wrong is concerning Staal and Bourdon. Lee plays in an entirely different league with entirely different playstyles. Staal and Bourdon may be clearly more proven but what makes a better prospect is not who can make the NHL in whatever role first. What makes a better prospect is who will turn out to be the better NHL player. All three have the potential to be #1 defencemen, there is no arguement. Staal and Bourdon are on this list so far ahead of Lee simply because they are OHL players and get more exposure, and they are more NHL ready. That all should not be totally discarded however, I just feel that Lee will turn out to be just as good as Staal and Bourdon and possibly better. If you watch him play and take account of his skills as a hockey player then it should be obvious that he should at least be on this list.

I am aware that goalies are much different from defencemen but the sole reason Carey Price is on this list is because he projects to be a good nhl goalie and he was drafted really high. He didn't have a great season and didn't even make the WJC team, he totally sucked at the training camp. You look at Price by watching him play you know he is going to be a great NHL starter one day, not this year or maybe even next year but he will eventually. Yet he is still on this prospect list. If Price can get on this list then so should Lee. Lee obviously has the skill, he obviously has the attitude and he obviously has the hockey sense to be a great #1 defenceman in the NHL. Yet no one watches him, no one talks about him so no one cares. There is no precident for him, he was not hyped up at the draft like some of the others and he was not elbowing players during his two WJC's. As a player and his projections as a NHL player I feel he clearly belongs on this list. He just doesn't have alot of the outside help that I guess it takes to make this list. I apologize if this is too long to read, I started typing and it just kinda dragged on!

I think you misunderstood my post. I was trying to be sarcastic. :)

But I completely agree with you, I don't see why people rank Bourdon and Staal so high on these lists and not even mention Lee.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
45 regular season NHL games for goalies.
65 regular season NHL games for skaters.

Can you(or somebody else) please explain why PO games aren't counted in those requirements? I don't see any reason why ONLY regular season games should count towards a prospects "games played" tally; in fact it makes absolutely ZERO sense IMO.

David A. Rainer

Jun 10, 2002
Huntington Beach
profile.myspace.com
Can you(or somebody else) please explain why PO games aren't counted in those requirements? I don't see any reason why ONLY regular season games should count towards a prospects "games played" tally; in fact it makes absolutely ZERO sense IMO.

Among other things, the NHL does not recognize playoff games for purposes of the Calder Trophy, for scoring titles, for game-time accrued for purposes of a player's pension, etc. We use the NHL's standard for games-played. If the NHL changes their standard, we probably would also.

Now, why should playoff games be included?

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Among other things, the NHL does not recognize playoff games for purposes of the Calder Trophy, for scoring titles, for game-time accrued for purposes of a player's pension, etc. We use the NHL's standard for games-played. If the NHL changes their standard, we probably would also.

Now, why should playoff games be included?

Using PO games as credentials for Calder voting and Using PO games to define a prospect are NOT the same thing; and anybody with any sense of logic can tell you that. You are trying to say that the League doesn't take the PO games into account when DEFINING a rookie; and that is simply incorrect. The NHL has VERY clear definitions for what qualifies as a rookie, and they DO use PO games when defining rookies. I'd like to know why this site doesn't use the same rules as the NHL when defining prospects.

I look at it this way: a prospect is a prospect if he can still compete for the Calder. Guys like Ward, Getzlaf, Perry, Lehtonen and Semin would NOT qualify as a rookie next year and as such wouldn't qualify for the Calder voting. Therefore, why should they still be considered prospects? It simply makes no sense and your explaination is flawed.

David A. Rainer

Jun 10, 2002
Huntington Beach
profile.myspace.com
Using PO games as credentials for Calder voting and Using PO games to define a prospect are NOT the same thing; and anybody with any sense of logic can tell you that. You are trying to say that the League doesn't take the PO games into account when DEFINING a rookie; and that is simply incorrect. The NHL has VERY clear definitions for what qualifies as a rookie, and they DO use PO games when defining rookies. I'd like to know why this site doesn't use the same rules as the NHL when defining prospects.

I look at it this way: a prospect is a prospect if he can still compete for the Calder. Guys like Ward, Getzlaf, Perry, Lehtonen and Semin would NOT qualify as a rookie next year and as such wouldn't qualify for the Calder voting. Therefore, why should they still be considered prospects? It simply makes no sense and your explaination is flawed.

Here is the standard for the Calder Trophy:

"To be eligible for the award, a player cannot have played more than 25 games in any single preceding season nor in six or more games in each of any two preceding seasons in any major professional league. The player must not be older than 26 years before September 15 of the season in which he is eligible."

"[G]ames in any single preceding season" does not include playoffs games. The NHL does not count the playoffs as part of the "season". They are post-season games. If you doubt this, send an e-mail to the NHL or the NHLPA and they will tell you the same thing.

While HF might use the NHL's definition for "games played", HF does not use their definition of rookie as the definition of prospect is too restrictive. A player that has played in 12 games over two seasons as a call-up due to injuries is still very much a prospect. Or, let's say that Wolski plays in only 6 games this year and is sent to the AHL, you mean that he is no longer a prospect at the age of 20 and 15 NHL games under his belt and still in the AHL? Hardly.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad