Hockey's Future Top 50 Prospects Fall 2006: 1-10

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Agreed. Staal and Toews will go higher after this year. I predict Toews will be in the top 5 by next year. Staal will be close behind.
Agreed. Once Staal and Toews start filling in and their skating catches up to their hands and sense they'll be two way power centers. Its pretty scary that Staal is not only 6'4" but about 215 already.

While both aren't in Malkins high end class, I do see them coming along the same lines. Turning into far better players after being drafted and really looking great at about 20. IMO there was a world of difference in Malkins game from 19 to 20. He cleaned up a few skating flaws and just took off dominating the RSL.

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
Canes (J. Johnson-4, Ward-7, Ladd-28): 13
Ducks (Getzlaugh-5, Ryan-13, Perry-30): 16
Bruins (Kessel-15, Toivonen-16, Rask-26): 19
Kings (O'Sullivan-9, Kopitar-14, J. Johnson-4): 9
Caps (Semin-8, Backstrom-10, Fehr-48): 22
Penguins (Malkin-1, Stall-18): 9.5
Jackets (Brule-6, LeCalire-25, Brassard-36): 22.33
Blackhawks (Barker-11, Toews-19): 15
Thrashers (Lethonen-2, Coburn-33): 17.5
Predators (Radulov-20, Weber-24): 22
Blues (Johnson-3, Oshie-45): 24
Oilers (Schremp-17, Smid-31): 24
Sharks (Carle-22, Bernier-27): 24.5
Rangers (Stall-21, Montoya-29): 25
Wild (Harding-35, Voloshenko-42): 38.5
Panthers (Olesz-34, Frolik-46): 40
Avalanche (Wolski-12)
Islanders (Nilsson-32, Okposo-50): 41
Canadiens (Kostitsyn-43, Price-47): 45
Red Wings (Grigorenko-44, Filppula-49): 46.5
Canucks (Bourdon-23)
Devils (Bergfors-37)
Senators (Eaves-38)
Maple Leafs (Pogge-39)
Coyotes (Mueller-41)

Mr_Jones*

Kings (J. Johnson-4, O'Sullivan-9, Kopitar-14, Tukonen-40): 16.75
Ducks (Getzlaugh-5, Ryan-13, Perry-30): 16
Bruins (Kessel-15, Toivonen-16, Rask-26): 19
Caps (Semin-8, Backstrom-10, Fehr-48): 22
Penguins (Malkin-1, Stall-18): 9.5
Jackets (Brule-6, LeCalire-25, Brassard-36): 22.33
Blackhawks (Barker-11, Toews-19): 15
Thrashers (Lethonen-2, Coburn-33): 17.5
Canes (Ward-7, Ladd-28): 17.5
Predators (Radulov-20, Weber-24): 22
Blues (Johnson-3, Oshie-45): 24
Oilers (Schremp-17, Smid-31): 24
Sharks (Carle-22, Bernier-27): 24.5
Rangers (Stall-21, Montoya-29): 25
Wild (Harding-35, Voloshenko-42): 38.5
Panthers (Olesz-34, Frolik-46): 40
Avalanche (Wolski-12)
Islanders (Nilsson-32, Okposo-50): 41
Canadiens (Kostitsyn-43, Price-47): 45
Red Wings (Grigorenko-44, Filppula-49): 46.5
Canucks (Bourdon-23)
Devils (Bergfors-37)
Senators (Eaves-38)
Maple Leafs (Pogge-39)
Coyotes (Mueller-41)
Even with four prospects, they're almost the best by average as well.

Icetime

Oct 28, 2006
LA
Well it's been a month since the HF top ten prospects came out and I was just reviewing what people were saying way back when thirty days or so ago. It's amazing how many people said Backstrom didn't belong in the top ten. Boy you people sure were right! He's more like top five and pretty soon there will be enough of the SEL season gone by to easily make a case for him to be the number one prospect overall not playing in the NHL. Oh and it looks like Alex Semin might belong in the top ten after all as well. He seemed to be the second or even first most slighted prospect although I can understand the reasons for that. Maybe HF did know what they were talking about when it came to the top tier Caps prospects. Oh and by the way Semin Varmalov will jump way up on this list in the near future. Gotta represent my team with the first post and all.

Randall Graves*

Well it's been a month since the HF top ten prospects came out and I was just reviewing what people were saying way back when thirty days or so ago. It's amazing how many people said Backstrom didn't belong in the top ten. Boy you people sure were right! He's more like top five and pretty soon there will be enough of the SEL season gone by to easily make a case for him to be the number one prospect overall not playing in the NHL. Oh and it looks like Alex Semin might belong in the top ten after all as well. He seemed to be the second or even first most slighted prospect although I can understand the reasons for that. Maybe HF did know what they were talking about when it came to the top tier Caps prospects. Oh and by the way Semin Varmalov will jump way up on this list in the near future. Gotta represent my team with the first post and all.
I wonder who your favorite team is.

Sykie

Feb 28, 2002
Geneva
snhl.free.fr
He still is right.

People arguing against Backstrom or Semin didn't know what they were talking about, Backstrom is ripping the SEL and Semin has so much talent it's ridiculous.

It doesn't matters if he is a Caps fan or not, his point is still valid.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
My biggest problem with these lists is including players that are not even Rookies in the NHL but are still listed as prospects.....it makes no sense and takes away all credibility from this list IMO.

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
Its fine for folks to have their own opinions. Its also nice to hear why or give some evidence.

But posters lose credibility if they just say there's only one right answer and its theirs...with no additional info.

I say put your own list in and let others critique your list instead of just complaining about the people who made up this list.

Agree!

AgentNaslund*

Wow, Brian Lee doesn't even get an honourable mention...

Remind me again what Staal and Bourdon have done so far to be considered such better prospects, besides play in Canada of course?

they made the NHL?. ITs not like Brian Lee would have done the same if he was a Ranger or Canuck.

everybody is complaining about how 1 guy on thier team is not on the top 50.
:cry: to the ones who make the list.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
they made the NHL?. ITs not like Brian Lee would have done the same if he was a Ranger or Canuck.

everybody is complaining about how 1 guy on thier team is not on the top 50.
:cry: to the ones who make the list.
Staal's not in the NHL

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
He still is right.

People arguing against Backstrom or Semin didn't know what they were talking about, Backstrom is ripping the SEL and Semin has so much talent it's ridiculous.

It doesn't matters if he is a Caps fan or not, his point is still valid.

And Kopitar, #14 is leading all rookies in scoring. Should he be ahead of both because he's doing better than both of them right now?

No. It's a long term projection that shouldn't be criticized with knee jerk reactions a month into the season.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
I know this is a radical concept, but anyone think common sense should enter the picture at any point?

Getzlaf, Lehtonen, Ward etc, all graduated prospects.

Sykie

Feb 28, 2002
Geneva
snhl.free.fr
And Kopitar, #14 is leading all rookies in scoring. Should he be ahead of both because he's doing better than both of them right now?

No. It's a long term projection that shouldn't be criticized with knee jerk reactions a month into the season.

In the case of Backstrom and Semin, their projections are not *criticized with knee jerk reactions a month into the season*.

It's the other way around. Every guy who seriously followed these players should know they were for real, *before* this season. This season is just another valid argument in that way because like it or not, they do great this year.

As for Kopitar, I think you could make a case he belongs in the top-ten too. I wouldn't have included Getzlaf here, but that's another story...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->