Hockey's Future Top 50 Prospects Fall 2005: 1-10

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Pens Are Back*

i didn't use him as an example.

one can also go look at hockey news future watch. where is fluery ranked there?

isn't that what all these "prospects lists" are based on...POTENTIAL!

The Pens Are Back*

hab 4ever said:
Pure homerism. I like Lundqvist a lot but to suggest that Glen Sather or any other gm wouldn't deal him one on one for Fleury is pathetic. Don't forget, he is 23, whereas Fleury is only 20. Upside-wise, Fleury is the best goalie prospect in the entire league, not that I contest the fact that Lehtonen has earned his no.1 ranking amongst goaltenders. In fact, Lundqvist was such a can't-miss prospect that the Rangers selected Montoya number 6 in 2004, in front of the likes of Olesz (7) and Tukonen (11). Do not misunderstand me, I think Lundqvist deserved his spot in the top 50 and that he will better than Alvarito. Still, picking him ahead of Fleury would be, IMO, foolish ...

THANK YOU

the ranger and flyer fans who do...are making a "homer" choice

i could say go ask the pens board and you would get 100% for fluery. i am not knocking either of the other 2 goalies

instead go on a nuetral fans board and ask the same question. i wouldn't be suprised if it at least 80 % for fluery

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
The Pens Are Back said:
take a poll (like the list HF just did)

no brainer

Go make Polls on the Ranger and Philly board...

Rangers:
Would you Trade Lundqvist for Fleury (you'll probably get a 70/30 response not doing that trade)

Philly
Would you trade Niittymaki for Fleury (You'll probably get the same response...probably more like 80/20 though)

I think you would be in for a suprise.

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
FLYLine88 said:
No brainer?

I dont think so. Ask some Philly and Ranger fans that. Im not so sure i'd trade Lundqvist for Fleury.

Pure homerism. I like Lundqvist a lot but to suggest that Glen Sather or any other gm wouldn't deal him one on one for Fleury is pathetic. Don't forget, he is 23, whereas Fleury is only 20. Upside-wise, Fleury is the best goalie prospect in the entire league, not that I contest the fact that Lehtonen has earned his no.1 ranking amongst goaltenders. In fact, Lundqvist was such a can't-miss prospect that the Rangers selected Montoya number 6 in 2004, in front of the likes of Olesz (7) and Tukonen (11). Do not misunderstand me, I think Lundqvist deserved his spot in the top 50 and that he will better than Alvarito. Still, picking him ahead of Fleury would be, IMO, foolish ...

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
hab 4ever said:

Im not saying Lundqvist is better then Fleury..I just dont think the difference in the 2 right now is that far apart. Lundqvist has proved he can dominate an entire league with NHLers in it...Con..will he be able to do that in NA? Fleury has the potential to be a superstar goalie...Con..he has not shown that this year by any means.

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
FLYLine88 said:
Im not saying Lundqvist is better then Fleury..I just dont think the difference in the 2 right now is that far apart. Lundqvist has proved he can dominate an entire league with NHLers in it...Con..will he be able to do that in NA? Fleury has the potential to be a superstar goalie...Con..he has not shown that this year by any means.

Ok. I understand your point. Still, I do not think Fleury is overrated at no.7. It might be Lundqvist who is underrated. :dunno:

The Pens Are Back*

i screwed up the other post by hitting edit

THANK YOU

i could say go ask the pens board and you would get 100% for fluery. i am not knocking either of the other 2 goalies

instead go on a nuetral fans board and ask the same question. i wouldn't be suprised if it at least 80 % for fluery

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
The Pens Are Back said:
THANK YOU

What you think of a Toivonen Vs. Fluery?

Fitzlax99

Feb 14, 2003
NYC
Visit site
I'm a Ranger fan and while I love Lundqvist, I dont think you can make a valid comparison between him and Fleury. Fleury is three years younger and has already had a successful stint in the NHL.

Either way, I'm glad we have Lundqvist...

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
The Pens Are Back said:
THANK YOU

Me niether. Majority of those fans havn't followed Niittymaki and Lundqvist..but they sure know Fluery that guy who was chosen 1st overall. Others won't by into the hype of Lundqvist until he plays in NA. Some will say Niittymaki hasn't proved himself in the NHL.

If fans had to choose a goalie outta those 3..I think they would pick the youngest with the highest upside....so they would choose Fleury.

Roger's Pancreas*

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who disagrees with Fleury being that high.

The Pens Are Back*

Shadow said:
What you think of a Toivonen Vs. Fluery?

i honestly dont know much about him aside from a few threads here and there

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I would really like a Pens fan to tell me what Fleury has done in the past two years to warrant being a top 10 prospect. He put up pathetic numbers in the AHL and was beat out for the starters job by Andy Chiodo. When he played in the playoffs he was pretty bad and was lit up on more then one occasion. Now i'm not saying that the guy doesn't have a lot of talent because he certainly does and I'm not saying that he hasn't done some pretty impressive things during his career (his first month in Pittsburgh comes to mind). But if you're looking at the total body of work, I simply cannot understand how you can justify putting Fleury so high. I would take Lehtonen and Toivonen over Fleury without hesitation.

A Good Flying Bird*

Big Bill said:
Even considering that Crosby is a better prospect and rightly deserves to be #1. And it does not border on nitpicking, it is nitpicking

Call me crazy ... Crosby sure has had a lot of hype, but I've nevr seen him play against grown men.
Ovechkin, IMO, has already shown he can be a factor against NHL caliber opponents.
I wouldn't put Crosby THAT far ahead of Ovechkin.
And I think all the talk about "the next one" is really, really stupid. I mean, give the kid a chance to break in before tagging him with unrealistic expectations.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Just an addition, how can it be justified having Fleury that high and no mention of guys like Hugh Jessimen and Robert Nielsen? All three of these guys were top 15 picks in a great '03 draft and all 3 have played poorly since being drafted (Jessimen has a lot of injuries). Why do the latter two fall off the face of the earth and Fleury remains at the top? I'm sure it has a ton to do with where he was drafted and nothing to do with how he has played.

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
The Pens Are Back said:
THANK YOU

OK, taking my own homer goalie out of the picture, I would easily take Toivonen over Fleury.

The Pens Are Back*

MojoJojo said:
Thats just a reflection of all hype surrounding Fleury. Most of the people who would vote in that poll have never seen all (if any) of these guys even play.

the people who vote in the hockey news future watch have. the voters there were either scouts or general managers. i believe fluery was top 10 in that one also

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
Very good list. I'm not sure about MAF however. Sometimes I feel he gets put a little higher due to his draft position. O well, these lists are fun to read and to look back on in a few years to see how things go. Good work everyone. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad