Hockey's Future Spring 2006 Organizational Rankings (16-30)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
RallyKiller said:
I have never seen the avs system highly rated, yet all they do is produce players.

They haven't produced anyone that great in quite a few years except Liles

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Fuhr86 said:

I'll reserve judgement just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, even still though, that's 2 guys since Hejduk came up -- that's not a good system.

Fuhr86 said:
Wolski even produced 6 points in 9 NHL games.

Yeah and they sent him back and was getting shut down at even strength when he did. I'm not impressed. But then again, he was their first round pick -- they're supposed to be good.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
i'm surprised the blues aren't ranked #30.

seldom is an organization so bereft of nhl players, let alone prospects for the future. the salary cap and the lowered ufa age will need to be the blues saving grace.

The Fuhr*

go kim johnsson 514 said:
Yeah and they sent him back and was getting shut down at even strength when he did. I'm not impressed. But then again, he was their first round pick -- they're supposed to be good.

You do know the Avs sent him down so the Avs could hold his rights for the extra year thus the reason he only played 9 games. You play 10 games and the team looses a year of the players rights.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
hawker14 said:
i'm surprised the blues aren't ranked #30.

seldom is an organization so bereft of nhl players, let alone prospects for the future. the salary cap and the lowered ufa age will need to be the blues saving grace.
You really need to read up on who the Blues have as their prospects. We're not talking about Jim Montgomery, Denny Felsner, Dave Roberts, Craig Johnson, Nathan Lafayette, Maxim Bets, Parris Duffus, Jeff Batters, Daniel Laperriere, and Brad Voth anymore.

Wait - you were talking about NHL-quality players in the NHL? Oh, well then yeah - if we're talking Mayers, Johnson, Poapst, Lalime, Divis, Boulerice and Rycroft, then the Blues should be like 33 or 34.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Irish Blues said:
Wait - you were talking about NHL-quality players in the NHL? Oh, well then yeah - if we're talking Mayers, Johnson, Poapst, Lalime, Divis, Boulerice and Rycroft, then the Blues should be like 33 or 34.

Why the hate for Mayers, RJ and Rycroft, I_B? :D

I can see dissin' Gram-Poapst, Bowl-O-Rice, and Dumb and Dumber in goal, however...

I'm fine with the Blues' ranking at 22nd, although I'd echo Checker's earlier statement and question the assessment that Wideman and Jackson are third-pairing d-prospects at bests.

I also think it's too bad that Konstantin Barulin is exiled to Siberia, figuratively and literally; if he were playing over here somewhere, and performing like he seems to be doing in the RSL, he'd be considered one of the top goalie prospects out there.

I also think that the earlier comments about Blues' "conspiracy theorists" were cheap shots, to some degree, but I fully understand why those statements would have been made.

P_B

:bow: :blues

HackandLube

Dec 7, 2005
Cruiser008 said:
Detroit is in the top half!? Holy crap! :amazed: :yo:

As has always been the case. Detroit is the best drafting team through the years.
Look at the dominance of the Grand Rapids Griffins in the AHL. They are ripping through the AHL just like the big league team.

As for the Flames #28 - sounds just about right with our stupid drafting by Craig Button and Al Coates through the years.

Sutter made some great picks with Phaneuf (but graduated) and then Dustin Boyd and Dan Ryder (Michael's brother) but other than that, the Flames really don't have much on the board besides some big slow Sutter type players (Chucko, Pelech) and good defensive low scoring Sutter type players (Nystrom).

HF says scoring and individual talent > all and I agree but Calgary drafts players as role players in a system and therefore usually get the 5.5 Bs -7.5 Cs.

Belgian Fan

Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
go kim johnsson 514 said:
I'll reserve judgement just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, even still though, that's 2 guys since Hejduk came up -- that's not a good system.

Since Hejduk came into the league (1998-99) the following Avalanche drafted players also made it to the NHL on a full time basis:

Marc Denis
Brian Willsie
Dan Hinot
Sami Pahlson
Ville Nieminen
Brad Larsen
David Aebischer
Alex Tanguay
Martin Skoula
Robin Regehr
Branko Radivojevic
Riku Hahl (he's back home now)
Radim Vrbata
Kurt Sauer
John Michael Liles
Peter Budaj
Cody McCormick
Marek Svatos
Brad Richardson

Not that bad a system after all I'd say.

I'll agree that not many bona fide superstars are to be found here but this is what I would call a very solid system.

mooseOAK*

Jason MacIsaac said:
I hope you are not complaining about Toronto's ranking. Last I checked you can only have one goaltender in the net at a time.
Oh, do tell. So one goalie gets ignored in the rankings?

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
HackandLube said:
some big slow Sutter type players (Chucko, Pelech) and QUOTE]
Neither Chucko or Pelech are slow.

Chicko is an awkward skater, average I'd say, but he certianly isn't slow. Pelech is a good skater for his size, certainly isnt slow. Go watch them play.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
MrMastodonFarm said:
HackandLube said:
some big slow Sutter type players (Chucko, Pelech) and QUOTE]
Neither Chucko or Pelech are slow.

Chicko is an awkward skater, average I'd say, but he certianly isn't slow. Pelech is a good skater for his size, certainly isnt slow. Go watch them play.

Chucko is not a fast skater by any means. I've seen him play a good amount this year. I wouldn't even say he's remotely quick. Below average speed. Decent, strong stride, just no top end speed.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
19bruins19 said:
My only problem is this:

Krejci, Karsums, and Kalus are not hit or miss types, and they all project to be top six forwards. Kind of short-sighted on the part of HF. Overall, good rankings.

Krejci is definatly hit or miss. He is either going to be a top 2 line guy or not in the NHL. Karsums on the other hand I agree with. He can play a 2 way defensive role, an energy role or a scoring role.

Last edited:

mooseOAK*

Jon Prescription said:
Did Pogge become a super prospect, I guess?
Well, he was voted as the top player in the CHL beating out Marc Staal, Luc Bourdon, Bobby Ryan, and Cam Barker.

Previous winner the last two years was Dion Phaneuf.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
HackandLube said:
As has always been the case. Detroit is the best drafting team through the years.
Look at the dominance of the Grand Rapids Griffins in the AHL. They are ripping through the AHL just like the big league team.

As for the Flames #28 - sounds just about right with our stupid drafting by Craig Button and Al Coates through the years.

Sutter made some great picks with Phaneuf (but graduated) and then Dustin Boyd and Dan Ryder (Michael's brother) but other than that, the Flames really don't have much on the board besides some big slow Sutter type players (Chucko, Pelech) and good defensive low scoring Sutter type players (Nystrom).

HF says scoring and individual talent > all and I agree but Calgary drafts players as role players in a system and therefore usually get the 5.5 Bs -7.5 Cs.
I'd say that is an accurate assessment, Calgary could use a couple of offensive types, but I'm not holding my breath.

I think grabbing Ben Maxwell and a couple of offensive defenseman this draft would fill out the system nicely, then its a matter of plugging in young guys into a winning system, where they always develop better IMO, hence why Detroit produces such good young players.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Jon Prescription said:
MrMastodonFarm said:
Chucko is not a fast skater by any means. I've seen him play a good amount this year. I wouldn't even say he's remotely quick. Below average speed. Decent, strong stride, just no top end speed.
Exactly, I'd slot him in as an average skater. Skating is something he has worked on alot over the years, and he is getting better. To call him slow would be totally inaccurate like the poster said above.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
mooseOAK said:
Well, he was voted as the top player in the CHL beating out Marc Staal, Luc Bourdon, Bobby Ryan, and Cam Barker.

Previous winner the last two years was Dion Phaneuf.

He's an OKAY goalie prospect, but the rest of your pool is putrid. You're one of the basement teams in the NHL as far as prospects are concerned.

Pogge has a huge amount of question marks as to whether or not he'll even be an OKAY pro goalie.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
MrMastodonFarm said:
Jon Prescription said:
Exactly, I'd slot him in as an average skater. Skating is something he has worked on alot over the years, and he is getting better. To call him slow would be totally inaccurate like the poster said above.

I don't know, though, about how his pro skating will be. I like watching him play, but I don't know how effective he will be in the NHL. He's slightly below average in the NCAA. Now with that said, the NHL is a HUGE step up in every single thing.

I think he should look in to going to see a power skating teacher. It would do a world of good. Look what it did for Jason Ward?

mooseOAK*

Jon Prescription said:
He's an OKAY goalie prospect, but the rest of your pool is putrid. You're one of the basement teams in the NHL as far as prospects are concerned.

Pogge has a huge amount of question marks as to whether or not he'll even be an OKAY pro goalie.
Pogge is more than an okay goalie prospect, he is one of the best if not the best one out there. Some people prefer Rask and maybe even Price but the Leafs own two of them in any event.

To call the Leafs' prospect pool putrid is even more off the wall. They have had 11 rookies in the lineup this season and not one of them looked out of place in the NHL.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
mooseOAK said:
Pogge is more than an okay goalie prospect, he is one of the best if not the best one out there. Some people prefer Rask and maybe even Price but the Leafs own two of them in any event.

To call the Leafs' prospect pool putrid is even more off the wall. They have had 11 rookies in the lineup this season and not one of them looked out of place in the NHL.

Wow, I know you like the Leafs, but please.

They have one of the worst prospect depths in the league.

Stop whining.

mooseOAK*

Jon Prescription said:
Wow, I know you like the Leafs, but please.

They have one of the worst prospect depths in the league.

Stop whining.
Whining, as in repeating "They have one of the worst prospect depths in the league" continuously without one word of intelligent input to back it up?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
mooseOAK said:
Whining, as in repeating "They have one of the worst prospect depths in the league" continuously without one word of intelligent input to back it up?

Proove to me why they aren't in the bottom third.

You have three solid, but not spectacular prospects in Pogge, Rask, and Cola. Pogge and Rask are about as unproven as they come and could either be stars or nothing.

Cola will be an NHLer, I'm sure, but in what role? I certainly don't see "top pairing defenseman" written all over him.

The only two other noteworthy prospects are Suglabov and Earl. Earl will probably be a 2nd/3rd liner but it's not like he's a top line prospect. Suglabov's upside is that of a scoring 2nd liner, but he needs more work and a better drive to be that.

The rest of your prospect pool is bleak right now. Very, very bleak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->