Hockey's Future Organizational Rankings, Spring 2011 21-30

North Man

Feb 17, 2010
I realize the Flames don't have the best prospects around, but you guys obviously have no idea about /dont even watch much of their prospects. Not even a mention of Reinhart? Nemisz better than Howse, Irving, and Brodie? :help:
I'm starting to get sick how HF just crap on the Flames' prospect pool all the time.

/Rant

Nice list otherwise.

SuperSaiyanBeastmode

May 20, 2010
Ontario
philly should of been last, at least erixon has top 4 potential... philly has no one that even has a chance of doing anything significant at the nhl level... that versteeg trade was not smart thinking by holmgren.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
philly should of been last, at least erixon has top 4 potential... philly has no one that even has a chance of doing anything significant at the nhl level... that versteeg trade was not smart thinking by holmgren.

I don't see a problem with a GM using picks to acquire a player if they beleive the have a legit shot at a Cup. Holmgren thought he had a shot.

The 1st rounder should have been used on a goaltender rather then another forward though.

Going5Hole

Sep 11, 2008
I am guessing the LA Kings as #1. When Jordan Weal and Linden Vey can't crack your top 10 prospects, you know your have some serious organizational depth.

bjtkyo

Mar 2, 2011
huh.. Would've thought Colorado would be much higher. Seems like they have a lot of young talent there, but maybe I'm being blinded by the ages on the roster.

The rest of the teams in this range (21-30) seem about right to me. I think Calgary might have an edge over Philly tbh, but none of the bottom 3 have anything to be proud of.

Kings, Oilers, Panthers, Isles, Leafs on top.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I realize the Flames don't have the best prospects around, but you guys obviously have no idea about /dont even watch much of their prospects. Not even a mention of Reinhart? Nemisz better than Howse, Irving, and Brodie? :help:
I'm starting to get sick how HF just crap on the Flames' prospect pool all the time.

/Rant

Nice list otherwise.

Get used to it.

Calgary could be placed ahead of any of the last six teams.

Last edited:

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
huh.. Would've thought Colorado would be much higher. Seems like they have a lot of young talent there, but maybe I'm being blinded by the ages on the roster.

The thing about the Avs is that they've had a ton of prospects graduate in the last two years, and several more will probably make the jump next season (whoever's picked at #2 + 1 one of elliott/barrie + hishon may also see NHL time next year). Guys like Duchene, O'reilly, Galiardi, Cumiskey, etc. graduated, and then Stewart, Shattenkirk and Cohen were traded. Because right now they're rebuilding and funneling talent through the system very quickly, their prospect depth doesn't seem great even though they're burgeoning with young talent as an organization.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I really don't see the point in doing this just over a month before the draft, as each teams prospect pool will be significantly different very soon.

And I'll throw out the standard "My team's prospects are underrated" for the Caps.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
who did pittsburgh bribe to be as high as 21?

as for calgary, i'm not sure i'd place them dead last, but a spot in the bottom 5 is certainly deserved.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Wow...uh what?

You guys don't even follow the Wild. Just admit it.

Aside from Granlund, there's no top-end talent in the system. The right wing is an area of major concern and there's little depth in goal. As a whole, the Wild's prospect group is fairly old.

Zucker? Haula?

Little depth in goal?

Hackett, Kuemper, Gustafsson, Endras....that's little depth in goal? Really? So what is a lot of depth? Five first round goaltenders? 10 goaltenders?

The only thing you guys got right is the RW is a concern for Minnesota.

As for age:

Not really. Scandy, Cuma are fairly 'old' for prospects. But Haula, Hackett, Kuemper, Larsson, Granlund, Bulmer are fairly young...we have a good mix.

Please get someone intelligible to write the write ups for Minnesota.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I really don't see the point in doing this just over a month before the draft, as each teams prospect pool will be significantly different very soon.

And I'll throw out the standard "My team's prospects are underrated" for the Caps.

I agree.

And yes IMO the Caps should be higher as well.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
On Kuznetsov alone, the Caps should be higher. Throw in Eakin, Holtby and Orlov, and I think there's a case that they're stronger than a few others.

I don't particularly care, because they have graduated a lot of their prospects, but there is no way I take the Pens prospects over the Caps.'

As for doing it now, or later, I think now is ok. The seasons are over, you can make a judgement on which prospects have improved and which haven't. If you throw in the draft, it's pretty much a crap shoot for some teams (though some will obviously get better with top 10 picks) but it's a better justification on those players once you've went through a season.

OilerOlli*

Minnesota is a bit too low, imo. They have some interesting prospects, liek Granlund or Zucker.

OilerOlli*

The rest of the teams in this range (21-30) seem about right to me. I think Calgary might have an edge over Philly tbh, but none of the bottom 3 have anything to be proud of.

Kings, Oilers, Panthers, Isles, Leafs on top.

The Oilers will be in the 11-20 area.
Hall and Eberle are graduated, no?

The Kremelin Wall*

A little shocked to see the Habs not in the bottom 10, as we weren't that high in the organizational rankings even with Subban and Eller. I guess we have a lot of depth at every position but goaltender though. There's not way we've risen and I thought losing those two along with Pyatt would cause us to drop more than 4 spots, the lowest we can fall. I guess the signings of Berger/Diaz might partially off-set that though. Plus the monster season of Gallagher and such.

Still though, Washington should be higher, or maybe I'm not crediting other prospect pools enough.

team_alex

Jun 23, 2006
New Brunswick
Solid list.

Very much appreciated. Although, I know it's always done like this, but I'm not a big fan of starting at #1 and working your way through the list. It kills the suspense and is therefore less of a good read.

But the info is great.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
who did pittsburgh bribe to be as high as 21?

The Pens don't have a lot of fancy names, but they do have depth and a good balance between potential and NHL-readiness (an often-underrated attribute) at each position.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Not sure if I agree with the Nucks rank.

I'd probably put them around where they were last year at 22.

No mention anywhere of Darren Archibald who was on a tear in the OHL playoffs or Sebastian Erixon who led Timra in D scoring.

Also
The system lacks an elite blueliner and depth in goal.

???? Luongo, Schneider, Lack, Cannata

Luongo: 38-15-7, 2.11 GAA, .928 save %
Schneider: 16-4-2, 2.23 GAA, .929 save %
Lack: 28-21-4, 2.26 GAA, .926 save %
Cannata: 25-10-4, 2.48 GAA, .911 save %

MountainGoat

I wonder where the Devils will end up, Tedenby probably moved us up a little from last year, Merrill too

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Surprised Pens are above the Caps, I guess the Caps had a lot of there top guys graduating to the NHL. Bit unfair really as Dustin Jeffrey would have graduated if it hadn't been for injury. Pens are probably benefiting from the fact that they've got a lot of guys close to the NHL.

Last edited:

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Wow...uh what?

You guys don't even follow the Wild. Just admit it.

Zucker? Haula?

Little depth in goal?

Hackett, Kuemper, Gustafsson, Endras....that's little depth in goal? Really? So what is a lot of depth? Five first round goaltenders? 10 goaltenders?

The only thing you guys got right is the RW is a concern for Minnesota.

As for age:

Not really. Scandy, Cuma are fairly 'old' for prospects. But Haula, Hackett, Kuemper, Larsson, Granlund, Bulmer are fairly young...we have a good mix.

Please get someone intelligible to write the write ups for Minnesota.

Weren't you the guy that was in love with Matt Foy?

Dupuis > Kovalchuk.

LOL.

This is dating back to 2002.

birddog*

Washington should be higher -- ahead of Pittsburg. Their top 5 is better then the Pens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad