Hockey's Future Mid-season Organizational Rankings (11-20) posted

Status
Not open for further replies.

mod24l

Feb 1, 2004
As much as I love my Bluejackets... does anyone else think that being in the top 10 is a little high? Granted we have some really good prospects with Leclaire, Johnson, and Fristche amoung others, but still... Im assuming they are including Zherdev in the rankings, and that's what bumped us all the way up...

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I can't see why so many are complaining, be thankfull that the writers did this in their own time for you guys. They could have left the trash Malloy made on the site and turn their head. I am also sure with the number of people they have together that they can come up with a list that they feel is accurate. To many people take it for granted what they get on this site for free.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
I enjoyed the read, and while I disagreed with some rankings, using the explanation Guy gave me, it makes sense. The Preds aren't well-represented in the meetings that help decide the final rankings. We need a super-homer in their so our prospects get some credit :D

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
I can't see why so many are complaining, be thankfull that the writers did this in their own time for you guys. They could have left the trash Malloy made on the site and turn their head. I am also sure with the number of people they have together that they can come up with a list that they feel is accurate. To many people take it for granted what they get on this site for free.

Give me a break. Because it is 'free' we are supposed to give the list unconditional praise?? If you are going to publish something, free or otherwise, you should be prepared to accept criticism. (and it has been criticism, not complaining) And I haven't seen anything outside out of the ordinary in regards to criticism.

I'll give them props for putting out a list but, honestly, it hardly deserves veneration. It isn't as if these people are dedicating their entire lives to compile these lists. It's a hobby and, I would assume, something they enjoy doing.

mod24l

Feb 1, 2004
I definately don't disagree with wherever they put the Jackets. Hell, in my opinion we have the best prospects ever in the history of hockey all time! Of course, Im a little biased... Im just curious what everyone else thinks about our prospects, other than Zherdev, as there have been loads of threads about him already... Im really looking forward to see what kind of love Leclaire gets, as hes now settled into the groove for Syracuse.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
SmokeyClause said:
I enjoyed the read, and while I disagreed with some rankings, using the explanation Guy gave me, it makes sense. The Preds aren't well-represented in the meetings that help decide the final rankings. We need a super-homer in their so our prospects get some credit :D

How many other teams sent 3 youngsters to the AHL all-star game? 4, but does Curtis Murphy really count? *career AHLer*

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
14th, man.....are we woefully overlooked, or am I a blind homer? If anything, our prospect pool got significantly better this year at the draft, not 6 positions worse. I believe we had 14 draft picks last year......I'm shocked really...

I guess we need a writer that actually follows our team a bit more.......14th.....:cry:

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
Regardless of the Kings Ranking two things should be clear.

The first is that Brown is STILL A PROSPECT you cannot tell me that a 18 year old kid after less then 30 games is all of a sudden a full NHL player.

The second is that Cammerelli is STILL A PROSPECT. How is it that a guy with less then 2 years of pro experience and who is playing in the AHL is all of a sudden no longer a prospect? The kid is like 22 years old.

It makes no sense to make Brown not a prospect after less then 30 games in the NHL.

I find it a little strange that the writer would claim that the Kings are lacking a sure fire top six forward and yet seems to have forgotten BROWN. Sure both Cammerelli and Tambellini have been a little over-hyped but not Brown he looks and acts like a second coming of Deadmarsh.

Even more strange is why would anyone in the world think that Brady Murray or Petr Kanko are not risky prospects? Murray has some skill but for anyone to say he is a low risk prospect is simply not looking closely at the player.

As for the lack of a goalie. Well can't have everything.:)

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Enoch said:
14th, man.....are we woefully overlooked, or am I a blind homer? If anything, our prospect pool got significantly better this year at the draft, not 6 positions worse. I believe we had 14 draft picks last year......I'm shocked really...

I guess we need a writer that actually follows our team a bit more.......14th.....:cry:

I'm a Kings fan and I agree... I don't see how the hell the Stars have a better crop of prospects compared to the Predators.
Ah well, I find the rankings to be rather amusing... they're just opinions.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
Weaknesses: Minnesota’s prospect depth in terms of blueliners is an issue that stands out like a sore thumb. With only about two defensemen with legitimate shots at making the National Hockey League, defense should be an issue the club will look to address at the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.

I'd like to know which two D-men are the only ones with a shot. Just curious. Reitz, Heid, Michalek, Bolduc? (Also curious to know why Bolduc isn't listed as a prospect for the Wild.. does he not count for some reason?)

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
ceber said:
I'd like to know which two D-men are the only ones with a shot. Just curious. Reitz, Heid, Michalek, Bolduc? (Also curious to know why Bolduc isn't listed as a prospect for the Wild.. does he not count for some reason?)

Probably the same reason Adam Courchaine isnt...

Michalek has seen some time with the Wild this season, which is nice, and may be somewhat of a surprise to those that aren't watching him closely. He had a nice junior career, but I wouldn't call him a lock at all for sticking with the big club.

Eric Reitz just wont have the skills to be anything greater then a call-up defenseman in my opinion. He's extremely average in a lot of facets in the game.

Heid probably has the best chance in the organization to stick it out with the big club, simply because he plays a game that is very low-risk. He's smart with the puck, and doesn't try to do too much.

thestonedkoala

I'm sorry Mr. Vickers, I am not in the best of moods, a lot of things have happened at once and I'm a bit tired and cranky. So I'll try to argue your stance on the Wild. I don't argue the fact that the Wild deserve to be down that low, they have gaps here and there, but your arguments are a bit weak when a Wild fan reads them.

First off: defense, defense, defense! If you notice the Wild's pattern on drafting defense is take them in a low round. The only two that have been picked before the fourth round are Heid and Schultz. But it's not a big issue the Wild are going to look into. Right now they are probably going to lose Bombardir to free agency and maybe one other, maybe not, depends. The Wild have also depended on waiver pick ups (Zyuzin and Henry) and free agents. If you are so high on Heid, why didn't you list him as a top prospect? Personally I wouldn't but he isn't a sureshot to make it into the NHL. He's not having the best of time down in Houston, he just started picking it up.

The argument about this is this. The Wild like using depth defensemen and project players. Henry and Zyuzin are the two best examples of project players. Both have worked out okay for the Wild, Zyuzin is one of the better defensemen this year for the Wild even. Secondly they use depth defensemen. Kuba, Zyuzin. Mitchell, Schultz, Henry, and whenever he feels like playing either Marshall, Brown or Bombardir log in some ice time. They are fine. We have a decent goalie and our players, whenever they feel like it, forecheck and help out on defense. Until either Lemaire leaves or one of our guys goes down, defense isn't a huge priority for the Wild. They will probably start drafting guys in the lower rounds, like the 3rd, 4th to pick up some depth again. Bolduc and Misharin are long shots but they will help on depth for the moment. Reitz and Michalek played a hellovalot better last year with some good solid veterans working with them, they took a step backwards. Don't look at this year, I know that this should be there year but Reitz is immature and Michalek is still young, well both are still young. By next year or the year after, if they don't make it, you can write them off but Michalek will give the Wild a much needed puck moving defensemen, if he can keep up his level and Reitz will give them a small but good, hard hitting defensemen they could use if Brown or Bombardir leaves, which is fine. It'll take a while for them to get adjusted and move up, defensemen take long. Yes they should draft one but for the moment more pressing needs.

Which brings us to the next point. Scoring. The Wild are the leagues worst at scoring or close to it, especially with Gaborik and Dupuis having an off year. Bouchard is taking a very long time, which is fine and Burns will too. Koivu isn't going to put the puck in the net, but only O'Sullivan will. This is where it hurts the Wild. They won't be able to piece together really two good lines if their prospects don't work out right. They need to draft another sniper. O'Sullivan will also move to the wings. Foy is a toss up, having a bad year with injuries and sickness down in Houston, so he's a mystery player. Hannula is someone you might look at especially paired with Wallin, which brings up another good player.

Wallin. I'll be labeled a homer but everywhere I read this guy has Sedin written all over him. A bit lanky, tall, good skater, and can both score and set up plays but nothing extraordinary, Wallin has the potential to be a Zholtok type of player that the Wild like and probably need. A versatile and well used winger/center they can insert in their lineup. I consider Wallin to be the top prospect. After O'Sullivan and Koivu to make the team, Wallin is the next guy, yes even over Foy. He's been with the team long enough and has shown good ability down in the minors (again write off this season, YUCK) that he should be considered close to a top prospect.

Another one and a dark horse for the Wild is both Kyle Kettles and Barry Brust as top prospects. Kettles has steadily moved up from the ECHL to the AHL and has done well in btoh situations along with the CHL. Brust is doing well for the CHL and has quietly made a name for himself at the Prospect Tournament. Well they shouldn't be considered top prospect but a tier under. With Harding, Kettles, and Brust the Wild have a great tandem of three good goalies (Brust has average to okay numbers in the minors) and your right they are deep between the pipes.

As I said though I see why you put the Wild as low as they did but I can argue they should be over the Flames and/or the Canucks too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Newsguyone said:
Two years ago, Detroit was ranked the worst or second worst in the league. And it was a justifiable ranking, IMO. (No one had anyway of knowing Zetterberg and Datsyuk would be who they are)

Now they've moved up to 15th overall despite not having any first rounders in the last two drafts.

Hudler/Kronwall/Grigorenko seem to be the leaders. Filppula, Fleischmann and Jamtin could become good NHLers. Same with Meech, QUincey, Howard and Liv.

But IMO, I'm not sure they deserve to be that high. Hudler, IMO, is still a question mark. Grigorenko is obviously a question mark due to the injury.

Still, my guess is that the people who ranked these teams are giving Detroit some credit for past draft steals.

Well the ranking does kinda make sense when you consider that the Wings were 20th last year, no one graduated, Howard was added and several players improved their game this year including Filppula and Kronvall. Of course the big question mark is Grigorenko's injury.

thestonedkoala

Good in the CHL, will struggle in the AHL/NHL, ceber, they aren't going to be nothing more than depth players...

Fantasywonder

Sep 30, 2003
Boston, MA, USA
Visit site
So they mention how the Stars biggest lack is a physical, stay at homer with size, and then go on to forget the best one at that. Dan Jancevski is currently a starter in the AHL All-Star team, he's 6'3 - 215 and has even contributed some offense. Players like Smith, Hagos, Lundqvist and Naurov could've been mentioned as well, despite their much improved ranking, I still think the Stars could be a little higher. Their top notch talent might be zero, but their depth at 2nd/3rd and 4th line is immensly and nearly everyone is defensively responsible and physical.

And the Stars lack size on the blueline? 2 Undersized, yet highly skilled guys?

Vagner is 6'2 - 210, Daley is 5'10 - 200. Than you have: Matt Nickerson 6'5 - 230, Dan Jancevski 6'3 - 215.

I do think they are bang on about the forwards not being anything special regarding size, but each and everyone's grit more than enough make up for it.

All in all, amazing job HF, but I still think that the Stars' system should be ranked above some others.

Oh, and I take it that their best prospect, Steve Ott, is no longer one? Just curious..

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
thestonedkoala said:
Good in the CHL, will struggle in the AHL/NHL, ceber, they aren't going to be nothing more than depth players...

Well, it's good to know everyone's crystal balls are working correctly. :)
I'm not questioning whether or not the guys should be rated better (although it seems odd that a guy with next to no future in the NHL would be invited to the world junior camp, but I guess that happens).
I honestly don't care about the rankings. I just want to know why they aren't listed as prospects. They qualify as prospects according to the HF guidelines, don't they?

thestonedkoala

WTF? Why is St. Jacques on there (and he hasn't done anything) and some other prospects aren't? And why the hell are you harping on Reitz and Michalek when this bozzo hasn't done anything.

Top Prospects Ceber...Not prospects but TOP...the best of the best.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
thestonedkoala said:
Top Prospects Ceber...Not prospects but TOP...the best of the best.

Ahh.. So Bolduc is considered to be worse than a minor league role-player, and Courchaine is worse than low-end minor league talent. I got it now. Understood.

thestonedkoala

Well they aren't the worse but they aren't the best, guys like well Popovic, Stuart, Klein (ummm that's kind of reaching but all right) are a lot better off. Problem I really see with this is only really high drafted guys (1st, 2nd rounds) are getting listed as top prospects.

Randall Graves*

Interesting lists here, I guess teams drop when guys jump to the NHL.

evman150*

I find it alarming that the Vancouver Canucks are ranked ahead of the Flames. Not that the Flames are too low, 15-20 is about right, but just HOW are the Canucks ahead of them?

I would take Phaneuf, Ramholt and Nystrom over any of the Canuck prospects. And I don't know how anybody could disagree with that. And the 4-6 players aren't even close either. The fact that Brandon Reid and Ilja Krikunov are on the list at all is sad.

I would love somebody involved in making the list to inform me of why the Canucks are ahead of the Flames.

Pretty crummy list if you ask me. Nashville and Chicago are too low; Vancouver, Dallas and Ottawa are too high.

Guy Flaming

evman150 said:
I would love somebody involved in making the list to inform me of why the Canucks are ahead of the Flames.

Pretty crummy list if you ask me. Nashville and Chicago are too low; Vancouver, Dallas and Ottawa are too high.

In my opinion, the Flames had better but less while the Canucks had good and more. Sometimes volume wins out over quality and sometimes it's the other way around (Atlanta for example).

The fact is that, if I recall correctly, the differences between 10-20 were really miniscule in some cases and there was no way everyone was going to be pleased with the final list. Those on the committee feel we did a pretty good job with the list but realize that not everyone is going to agree with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad