Hockey's Future Fall 2004 Org Rankings 11-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Fuhr*

Chimaera said:
So, I guess Ovechkin is a bum now.

I did not sy that. Ovechkin is going to be a superstar. My point was Mirnov is going to be a hell of a hockey player, Think Martin Havlat

Boondock Saint

Mar 6, 2003
Fuhr86 said:
Mezaros is going to be a 50 point defenseman for the sens and bring a physical game.

Last season, only 7 defensemen in the entire league put up more than 50 points, and you're already claiming that an 18 year old, late first round pick will put up those kind of numbers.

Let's see what he can do in the WHL before we put those type of expectations on the kid.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
Also New Jersey's ranking is a lot better this time around, IMO. They have some very good prospects, but they still probably aren't top 10 material, let alone top 5, IMO. I thought that was the biggest mistake of the last rankings.

Last time, I think we were a lot better off than we were now. Clemmenson and Ahonen in goal, Martin/Hale/DeMarchi/Kadeykin on defense, and Parise/Suglobov/Pihlman/Vrana/Khomutov/etc up front... thats strong.

Today, I think the Devil system is still top-10. Heres the assessment:

15. New Jersey Devils (4)
Strengths: The Devils possess a very strong prospect core starting from the crease on out. Potential franchise goaltender Ari Ahonen continues to develop nicely, waiting in the wings behind current franchise goaltender Martin Brodeur. Despite losing both David Hale and Paul Martin from their list of prospects, the organization still has a pair of quality blueliners in Anton Kadeykin and Matt DeMarchi. Down the middle, New Jersey is one of the deepest franchises, with 2004 WJC standout Zach Parise, recent first rounder Travis Zajac, as well as Adrian Foster and Ivan Khomutov. On the wings, the Devils feature Tuomas Pihlman and Barry Tallackson on left, and Finn Teemu Laine and Russian Aleksander Suglobov on the right.
Weaknesses: While the organization has no glaring weakness, depth is an issue. The club has only two promising defensive prospects in Kadeykin and DeMarchi, and on the wings, the pool of talent, although strong, could be deeper. Among forward prospects, the team lacks a physical presence.
Top Prospects: Zach Parise (F), Ari Ahonen (G), Aleksander Suglobov (F), Travis Zajac (F), Tuomas Pihlman (F).
Not Eligible: David Hale and Paul Martin due to career NHL games played.

The Devils do not lack physical forwards. Parise and Vrana are our two smallest forwards and are 5'11". Pihlman, Voros (who should be rated higher than he is), Pikkarainen, among others are all pretty big and nasty.

On the wings? Of the top-5 prospects on our list, 2 are wingers, 2 are centers, and one is a goalie. I'd say defense is our bigger weakness, significantly.

The Fuhr*

Boondock Saint said:
Last season, only 7 defensemen in the entire league put up more than 50 points, and you're already claiming that an 18 year old, late first round pick will put up those kind of numbers.

Let's see what he can do in the WHL before we put those type of expectations on the kid.

Thats the kind of expectations the kid deserves. He has a right handed shot somthing the sens currently lack on defense. Mezaros is going to be groomed to be Reddens defense partner and with the offensive forwards on the Sens along with Mezaros offensive game 50 points should not be out of the question for this future star. He will be the steal of the 2004 draft when we look back on it a few years from now.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Wade Redden has never even hit 50 points. You think Meszaros is more skilled than Redden?

The Fuhr*

Jacobv2 said:
Wade Redden has never even hit 50 points. You think Meszaros is more skilled than Redden?

Offensivly yes Mezaros is alot more skilled then Redden was at his age. This kid was the youngest player in the Slovak league as well as the youngest player at the World Championship this past year.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
There's probably a reason why Smid and Thelen went where they were projected and Meszaros fell 13 or so spots...

Vic Rattlehead*

I'm okay with the Boston's spot, even though they fell 6 spots. Our strengths are defence and goal, while we have no first line material on the forward depth.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
nomorekids said:
1. Washington
2. Chicago
3. Pittsburgh
4. Nashville
5. Montreal
6. NYR
7. Atlanta
8. Edmonton
9. Anaheim
10. Minnesota

i see nashville around 6th or 7th not 4th

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
oilerlova said:
i see nashville around 6th or 7th not 4th

shrug, i think they've got the most defensive depth in prospects in the league, a pair of high end offensive prospects and a couple of above average goaltenders. i think numbers 4-9 could be very subjective.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Moskau said:
Knew the Sabres would fall alot, just didn't know all these other teams would as well.

Really? I figured considering the Sabres didn't graduate any real prospects of note they only really added to the group during the draft so they couldn't fall much. Even in comparison to who else added what etc. Now they ended up being higher than I thought during the last ranking but I have trouble believing that head-to-head 13 of the 29 teams in the league have a better farm group than Buffalo. Even taking the defense into consideration.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Ruckus007 said:
Really? I figured considering the Sabres didn't graduate any real prospects of note they only really added to the group during the draft so they couldn't fall much. Even in comparison to who else added what etc. Now they ended up being higher than I thought during the last ranking but I have trouble believing that head-to-head 13 of the 29 teams in the league have a better farm group than Buffalo. Even taking the defense into consideration.

wasn't derek roy, one of your top prospects graduated?

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Seven_Nation_Army said:
no...just Pyatt and Jillson
Who were already graduated to begin with.

Now that I think about it, we shouldnt have dropped THAT far.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact when I talk to people like Mizral, and other people in HFChat they seem to know nothing about Sabre prospects.

I can see how we would drop because of the Defense. I'm trying to think who our defensive prospects were last time the list was done...

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
DownFromNJ said:
Last time, I think we were a lot better off than we were now. Clemmenson and Ahonen in goal, Martin/Hale/DeMarchi/Kadeykin on defense, and Parise/Suglobov/Pihlman/Vrana/Khomutov/etc up front... thats strong.

Today, I think the Devil system is still top-10. Heres the assessment:

The Devils do not lack physical forwards. Parise and Vrana are our two smallest forwards and are 5'11". Pihlman, Voros (who should be rated higher than he is), Pikkarainen, among others are all pretty big and nasty.

On the wings? Of the top-5 prospects on our list, 2 are wingers, 2 are centers, and one is a goalie. I'd say defense is our bigger weakness, significantly.

Yeah, really. Defense is the biggest weakness... but the physical forward thing doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I'm not arguing the placement, it's fair, but....

Pihlman, Khomutov, Tallackson, Voros, Ryznar, Pikkarainen, Nittel, Massen... all physical forwards, all in the Devils' top-20.

Olorin

Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
Seven_Nation_Army said:
so we now know the top 10...how would you rank...

Nashville, Washington, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Minnesota, Montreal, NYR, Anaheim, Atlanta and the Oilers?

My take:

1) Washington
2) Pittsburgh
3) Chicago
4) Edmonton
5) Nashville
6) Montreal
7) Atlanta
8) Rangers
9) Anaheim
10) Minnesota

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I didn't expect the Sens to be Top 10, but I think they should be higher than 17. They added defensive depth at the draft with Lyamin and Meszaros and that was the biggest weakness.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
nomorekids said:
wasn't derek roy, one of your top prospects graduated?

That's part of it. When Roy got his "eligibility" back with the new guidelines I felt even more confident the Sabres would be ranked if not higher at least on par with the previous ranking.

Bah, it's not like I'm that upset. I don't think they're numero uno but I have trouble believing that head to head 13 teams come out better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad