In Memoriam Hockey's Darkest Day - 10 years later

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I can't fathom how this tragedy affected the fans in Yaroslavl.

'Lokomotiv' 2014 NBC Sports doc chronicled rebuilding of the team

Lokomotiv’ chronicles the tragedy surrounding the Lokomotiv Yaroslavl hockey club, as well as the rebuilding of the team, as the worldwide hockey community banded with the Russian city to revive one of hockey’s richest traditions.

The 2014 NBC Olympics-produced documentary, narrated by Liev Schreiber, examines the tragic events surrounding Sept. 7, 2011, when an airplane carrying the Lokomotiv Yaroslavl hockey team of the Kontinental Hockey League, crashed outside the Russian city of Yaroslavl, killing 44 of 45 people on board, including 37 players, coaches and staff. Nearly 100,000 people attended a memorial service, including Russian president Vladimir Putin.

The roster and coaching staff included 11 hometown players, and the following nine former NHLers: Pavol Demitra, Ruslan Salei, Josef Vašíček, Karel Rachůnek, Kārlis Skrastiņš, Alexander Vasunov, assistant coaches Alexander Karpovtsev and Igor Korolev, and head coach Brad McCrimmon.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Very well made documentary. This is killing me as a viewer. 2011 was a rough year for hockey. Rypien, Belak, Boogard, and this unfathomable tragedy and I had been the biggest Salei fan after some stupid (in retrospect) ESPN the Magazine article about Russian players in 2002. This was a dark, dark time for hockey in general and I definitely just let anxiety wash over me for a bit. There wasn't a lot to get excited about for awhile.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I remember being at work when a friend and co-worker came up to me and asked if I’d heard about “that Russian team whose airplane crashed and killed the entire roster” news that just broke. I thought he was making some sick, morbid joke until I got home and went online. I was speechless, even more-so from recognizing many of the names and having followed many of their careers. I still occasionally think about that tragedy to this day. I can’t even imagine what their love ones went through.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad