HockeyProspect.com September 2019 NHL Draft Top 31

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
Our first list is now on our website. LINK (top 62 for members here

It's obviously really early but I like this draft. Good first round and it transfers into the 2nd round as well.

It's a weak year in the OHL but i knew that last year. I'll be heading out of town a little bit.

I'm heading to Pittsburgh for the Fall Classic but will check back in here when I can. Enjoy another draft season everyone!!

"Jack Hughes sits at the top of our ranking and that probably won’t surprise too many people. The dynamic forward is coming off a fantastic year with the USNTDP. Hughes will hope to get selected number one overall and then jump right into the NHL next fall.

Sitting at #2 overall and currently assuming the role of Hughes’ top competition for the #1 overall spot is Kaapo Kakko from Finland. The big winger is already off to a good start with 3 points in two games including two goals. He’s smart, skilled and competes hard all over the ice.

Holding down the 3rd overall spot in our ranking is Alex Turcotte, who also suits up for the USNTDP. Turcotte is speedster with a high hockey IQ, great vision and soft hands...."

Mar 12, 2009
I see Michael Vukojevic fell out of the 1st for you, curious where he landed? I'm assuming you have concerns about what his offensive game tops out at? Outside of the U18 I'm not super familiar with non-OHLers but I still think he will be a 1st rounder by the end.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Really enjoying the update with the accompanying piece (The September Prospects Report). Your new system of player profiles seems interesting and will definitely be something to track throughout the year.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
I see Michael Vukojevic fell out of the 1st for you, curious where he landed? I'm assuming you have concerns about what his offensive game tops out at? Outside of the U18 I'm not super familiar with non-OHLers but I still think he will be a 1st rounder by the end.

Yes, he fell. It's all about his puck game. That changed his projection and thus his ranking dropped.

Really enjoying the update with the accompanying piece (The September Prospects Report). Your new system of player profiles seems interesting and will definitely be something to track throughout the year.

Thanks. Feedback has been really good so I'm pretty happy. The more games our guys see of a player the more they will expand on their ratings.

Can you explain why you have Zegras 6th among NTDP players? I think a lot of people underrate his game.

We have him 18th overall, we really like him. He's behind some very solid program players and it's tight up there as well.

It's September. If I had to say something negative, we thought that he makes some poor decisions with the puck at times ( as in high risk plays as if he would get bonus points for a fancy highlife reel goal). I stress that I'm nitpicking here. We like him.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Nice work. Particularly interested in your take on Kirby Dach, who's off to a big start, anything in particular stopping him from being higher?

Looking forward to this year's reports.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
@Mark Edwards
always appreciate your work Mark, honestly it is the list I look to see first and foremost when it comes to prospects each year. I see a few omissions for me but not going to get into those, but what I would like to ask/discuss is Alex Vlasic. I am interested to see your thoughts on him as he has been up and down for me in my viewings, and some lists have him much farther down than you do - what is it with him that has him as a potential top 30 pick for you and your team? Much appreciated as always,.

....also, first time seeing Ryan Johnson out of Cali ranked anywhere near top 31...interested for your thoughts on him and why he would be ahead of guys like Thrun and Brinkman??

Last edited:
Reactions: 99664987

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
@Mark Edwards Can you help me understand the big gap between Podkolzin and Suzuki? To me they both are pretty close on skill and not sure either has much of an advantage in skating on the other. Believe they are the same size as well.

Reactions: 99664987

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
Good list as always.

I'd probably have Dach and Suzuki a bit higher, personally.

Thanks. I like both players...it's the first list so give it time.

Nice work. Particularly interested in your take on Kirby Dach, who's off to a big start, anything in particular stopping him from being higher?

Looking forward to this year's reports.

Like him. Nothing in particular stopping him from going higher. It's a very solid top 15 ish group IMO.

@Mark Edwards
always appreciate your work Mark, honestly it is the list I look to see first and foremost when it comes to prospects each year. I see a few omissions for me but not going to get into those, but what I would like to ask/discuss is Alex Vlasic. I am interested to see your thoughts on him as he has been up and down for me in my viewings, and some lists have him much farther down than you do - what is it with him that has him as a potential top 30 pick for you and your team? Much appreciated as always,.

....also, first time seeing Ryan Johnson out of Cali ranked anywhere near top 31...interested for your thoughts on him and why he would be ahead of guys like Thrun and Brinkman??

Thanks but not my work, our work. I have some great people scouting with me.

Vlasic - I'm not really the president of his fan club but I do appreciate his tools. His ranking was probably based more on ceiling than some other prospects in our top 62.

Now Ryan Johnson is a player that I really like. Also ranked on ceiling/projection and i just saw him twice in Pittsburgh. Thought he played very well for a rookie and did a good job vs the USNTDP forwards. Got more ice on Saturday than he did on Thursday.

@Mark Edwards Can you help me understand the big gap between Podkolzin and Suzuki? To me they both are pretty close on skill and not sure either has much of an advantage in skating on the other. Believe they are the same size as well.

I think PodKolzin has more scoring talent and is willing to go to the dirty areas much more than Suzuki. I just saw Suzuki again last week vs Hamilton and he played on the perimeter. I would like to see him use his talent and 'drive the bus' more rather than 'be a passenger'. He was most talented player on the ice but made himself invisible too often IMO.

Solid list. Always the best.

Thanks. Our guys work hard.

Thomson at 27, suprising but I like it.

Good list as always.

Thanks and yes, there are a few Thomson fans on our staff. I personally really liked him in Plymouth last Feb.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
@Mark Edwards

Just realized I didn't comment on Thrun or Brinkman.

Brinkman - Just one guys opinion but I'm not a fan of his game at all. Don't personally see why all the hype. He didn't make our top 62. So Johnson was easily ranked over Brinkman.

Thrun is player I like and made our top 62. I think Johnson does a lot of things better and other scouts on our staff agree, thus the ranking difference.

I think Johnson has fantastic tools and has a ton of room for his game to grow. If he gets steady PP time his numbers should gradually get better.

Outside of the USNTDP. I didn't think there was not a ton of draft eligible skill on display in Pittsburgh this past weekend. Ryan Johnson was one of a few exceptions.

Reactions: AmericanDream

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Our first list is now on our website. LINK (top 62 for members here

It's obviously really early but I like this draft. Good first round and it transfers into the 2nd round as well.

It's a weak year in the OHL but i knew that last year. I'll be heading out of town a little bit.

I'm heading to Pittsburgh for the Fall Classic but will check back in here when I can. Enjoy another draft season everyone!!

"Jack Hughes sits at the top of our ranking and that probably won’t surprise too many people. The dynamic forward is coming off a fantastic year with the USNTDP. Hughes will hope to get selected number one overall and then jump right into the NHL next fall.

Sitting at #2 overall and currently assuming the role of Hughes’ top competition for the #1 overall spot is Kaapo Kakko from Finland. The big winger is already off to a good start with 3 points in two games including two goals. He’s smart, skilled and competes hard all over the ice.

Holding down the 3rd overall spot in our ranking is Alex Turcotte, who also suits up for the USNTDP. Turcotte is speedster with a high hockey IQ, great vision and soft hands...."
personally in the top 31 I would have Samuel Poulin, big, excellent on PK and PP, uses size, has good hockey sense, good skills...Also really really shocked not to see Arthur Kaliyev in the top 31, IMO the guy should be there hands down.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think PodKolzin has more scoring talent and is willing to go to the dirty areas much more than Suzuki. I just saw Suzuki again last week vs Hamilton and he played on the perimeter. I would like to see him use his talent and 'drive the bus' more rather than 'be a passenger'. He was most talented player on the ice but made himself invisible too often IMO.

Got it. I’ll try and focus on that when I watch him.

I feel like on pure talent he’s a top 10 guy all day. Great vision as well.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
personally in the top 31 I would have Samuel Poulin, big, excellent on PK and PP, uses size, has good hockey sense, good skills...Also really really shocked not to see Arthur Kaliyev in the top 31, IMO the guy should be there hands down.

Poulin is down our list a bit.

Kaliyev's skating and compete issues are why he slid down our list.

Got it. I’ll try and focus on that when I watch him.

I feel like on pure talent he’s a top 10 guy all day. Great vision as well.

I've seen (and coached) a lot of players who didn't maximize their talent over the years. It's early and if memory serves, he's on my schedule again soon.

Reactions: Frk It

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Thanks. I like both players...it's the first list so give it time.

Like him. Nothing in particular stopping him from going higher. It's a very solid top 15 ish group IMO.

Thanks but not my work, our work. I have some great people scouting with me.

Vlasic - I'm not really the president of his fan club but I do appreciate his tools. His ranking was probably based more on ceiling than some other prospects in our top 62.

Now Ryan Johnson is a player that I really like. Also ranked on ceiling/projection and i just saw him twice in Pittsburgh. Thought he played very well for a rookie and did a good job vs the USNTDP forwards. Got more ice on Saturday than he did on Thursday.

I am sure, but you come in here to defend your list/talk hockey with some of these inmates, so thank you for doing that even if we might disagree on some...I strongly disagree on Kaliyev, but that will play itself out over the season. Great read as always and thanks for the responses, we all appreciate it!

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Poulin is down our list a bit.

Kaliyev's skating and compete issues are why he slid down our list.

I've seen (and coached) a lot of players who didn't maximize their talent over the years. It's early and if memory serves, he's on my schedule again soon.
I have to say IMO really no reason Poulin is not in the top 31 right now, guy had a great start to the season so far and is looking like the player they thought was going to be at draft last year, he did a good job at the role he was given in the Hlinka/Gretzky...I still think the concern with Kaliyev's compete and skating are not that bad...I would question Cole Caulfield as his talent is great but his size is very small

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
I am sure, but you come in here to defend your list/talk hockey with some of these inmates, so thank you for doing that even if we might disagree on some...I strongly disagree on Kaliyev, but that will play itself out over the season. Great read as always and thanks for the responses, we all appreciate it!

To be clear, I truly appreciate the kind words. ( I've obviously been visiting here for enough years to recognize your username and know that you follow prospects closely and contribute to several discussions.) I just don't want readers here to forget that I have a lot of help. I have scouts who have been with me many years and of course some rookies as well. I just want to include them because they deserve the praise. There is an NHL GM who often refers to our HP list as my list "Mark's list" and I always remind him that it's HockeyProspect.com's list not my list.

As for HF boards, I love my job and enjoy talking prospects with others that also enjoy following the draft. Yes, there are some 'interesting' people here and some like to tell us how clueless we are, but they truly don't bother me. I know the work myself and our guys do in order to be able to compile our lists. I don't for a minute expect everyone to agree with every ranking we release. Our own scouts don't agree with every one of our player rankings, that's what makes our internal discussions enjoyable and productive. Anyway, I do enjoy when I get some free time and can visit these boards. There are some people who post here who clearly know the game well.

A few players we were getting ripped for having too 'low' last year (and other years for that matter) were drafted even later than our ranking. I was also told last year that we were way off base for ranking O'Brien in he first round. He went higher than our ranking (which we ourselves raised even higher on our final list). That is the draft in a nutshell. It also pretty much means nothing until it all plays out down the road.

As for Kaliyev, he's an interesting player. I knew instantly at the Hlinka that he would be a name that would be talked about early and often this season. He scores like crazy but has some ugly traits to his game. Much like this board, NHL scouts I know have varied opinions on him as well. I know a few who still have him in the 1st round and some whose opinion of him make us look like we our his biggest fans. I'll also note that he was not a player with varied opinions amongst our crew. in other words, we didn't need to debate much internally about his ranking placement. Personally, I don't dislike him as a prospect. He just has parts to his game that slide him down my list more than some other folks.

Anyway, off to Owen Sound tonight. Always a better drive in October than February!! (actually meeting two scouts at the airport and riding with them so I get to be a passenger tonight) Not my fave commute to a rink but I haven't seen either team yet this year.

Enjoy the weekend games everyone.

Reactions: sydion and VikingAv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad