Hockeyfights.com

GaryRobertsFan

Nov 6, 2019
You might remember me from hockeyfights.com (I mostly hung out in the 'Babblin' forum section). Just found out about three hours ago when I clicked on my bookmark and saw their stupid message about how they're closing it down; came here to see if there was anyone that I recognized. Absolute BS and again they couldn't even give us the courtesy of a heads up just like when they rolled out their site """""""""""upgrade""""""""""" earlier in the year.

There were a lot of good users there that I'll miss. Undeserved way to go out.

idontusethisanymore

This is joshprost99
Apr 6, 2016
You might remember me from hockeyfights.com (I mostly hung out in the 'Babblin' forum section). Just found out about three hours ago when I clicked on my bookmark and saw their stupid message about how they're closing it down; came here to see if there was anyone that I recognized. Absolute BS and again they couldn't even give us the courtesy of a heads up just like when they rolled out their site """""""""""upgrade""""""""""" earlier in the year.

There were a lot of good users there that I'll miss. Undeserved way to go out.

I agree. @vandymeer13 is the only other person I've found so far from hockeyfights.com, but I'm sure there's more here.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
I had an account on the forum; joined when I was fourteen years old. The site was probably passed its prime when I first joined, but there was still old timers with insightful posts and stories. The babblin' thread always had some funny posters and polite guys.

The website's demise was immediate when SBNation bought the rights to the website. They replaced the simplistic layout of the forum with a completely foul and frugal looking forum with many features extracted out of it. Their explanation of social media making the forum redundant was complete utter horse shit, and they were probably aware of it.

With the dropthegloves.com domain timed out, hockeyfights could have replicated their fight card formula. Of course they have not taken any steps towards that, even though there have been many suggestions in reference to it.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I used to always get into it with Hockey_Doc, but then later we seemed to be pretty cool. Kind of a friendly little rivalry.

I think i joined it in 08-09.

weinsink

Feb 8, 2018
I used to always get into it with Hockey_Doc, but then later we seemed to be pretty cool. Kind of a friendly little rivalry.

I think i joined it in 08-09.
Lol hockey doc,such a dick but fun for sure..was hoping fried chicken would be back up but then again there are rarely any fights to talk about.Seems like todays hockey is about alot of great checks that are being made then the hitter being jumped for throwing a good hit,todays game eh lmfao:help:

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Maybe we can build a community here of fans who miss the old ways of hockey.

I started watching as a kid in the '70s. Today's game is almost unrecognizable even comparing to the mid '90s. No animosity, not much hitting, and fighting hardly exists.

It's crazy, but the game actually gets a LOT tougher these days in the playoffs when players are actually trying and tempers flare.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Sad news. I joined there about the same time as here I think. Posted there about as much as here ... not very much iow. Always enjoyed reading the conversations though. Dropped in for a few minutes a couple of weeks ago for the first time in a couple of years. Sad, what with the lack of fights in the NHL, how quiet everything was. It will be missed.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
All I saw in their forums in recent months were complaints about how the website went to shit. Kind of sad to read, really. This may actually be a good thing if the new review/video sections are truly "interactive". The forum has looked dead for a long time anyways, so hopefully whoever is in charge can do something within the reviews/videos to make it worthwhile.

Even if a fight wasn't uploaded yet, DYG had detailed user fight reviews but also a separate area for comments IIRC, so it allowed for some back & forth without requiring a full on forum. If something like that can be accomplished by Hockeyfights I'd be more than happy to venture over.

Reactions: skinnyFAT91

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
Thanks for the shout out joshprost99. Yeah I barely watch hockey anymore because it's not the game I grew up on. And the members of hockeyfights.com family i will miss a lot. Except chilly f*** that guy.
I miss dropyourgloves.com the most. But just like hockey both those sites dissapeared or went to shit.

idontusethisanymore

This is joshprost99
Apr 6, 2016
Thanks for the shout out joshprost99. Yeah I barely watch hockey anymore because it's not the game I grew up on. And the members of hockeyfights.com family i will miss a lot. Except chilly **** that guy.
I miss dropyourgloves.com the most. But just like hockey both those sites dissapeared or went to ****.

I often wonder what Chilly does with his life now that he can't scream at people all day anymore

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Sad. The Fried Chicken hockey site was how I got into hockey fights and learning about some of the great enforcers from back in the day. Dropyourgloves was like a vast library with a ridiculous wealth of fight footage. Not sure if the moderators didn't want to maintain the sites anymore or if the lack of modern day fights was the reason they gave up.

GaryRobertsFan

Nov 6, 2019
has the web master given a reason for its closing?

This part is the closest that I've seen:

"On the social side of things, the forums were a place to interact with like-minded people in a space for shared interests. With the steady growth of social media we’ve seen the decline of the forums. The existing site was breaking down slowly, and when the Nation Network took over a new website plan was hatched."

That quote is from this: HockeyFights Forum is now closed - Hockey Fights

Reactions: joshprost99

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The NHL eliminated it and all record of it is closing up. Sad days.

Just a random observation, I have a friend *cough* who was watching the TV series Good Wife and there was a lawsuit against a hockey league due to concussion issues. The fact that the hockey league cooperated with a private web site showing video of hockey fights was used as evidence for the league promoting the violence.

These series usually just copy things from ‘real life’. Do we know if any of those arguments have been brought up in the ongoing NHL lawsuits?

Killahpunk

Legend
Jun 29, 2009
Eastern Canada
RIP Hockeyfights.com Forums. I use to post there all the time years ago and less frequently in recent years. The boards really went downhill once neck beard Dan and the rest of the SB nation took over ownership. I wonder does Singer ever have any regrets about selling it off? There were some good guys that use to post over there and of course their was some clowns too.

It's also sad to see DYG disappear too.

Bruise Bros Vol 2

Nov 19, 2019
It's also sad to see DYG disappear too.
I've been wondering what's happened to DYG. It is officially done?

Seems like all these former niche decentralized forums have been falling like flies or being bought up by conglomerates. As the game further propels itself into the mainstream, the old chat halls are being renovated with grant money from McDonald's, Bud Light, and Toyota.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->