Hockeydb no longer appearing as a top result in google searches? (It's fine.)

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
I use hockeydb constantly. Often I get lost on there for so long I lose track of time. I'll do a search for say Benoit Pouliot to look up his stats. Then get interested in his draft year, click on 05-06 Sudbury Wolves. Oh hey, Nick Foligno was a teammate? Click on Foligno's stats. Hmm, Under-18 team in 03-04 before the OHL? Click on that. Teammates with Phil Kessel. Peter Mueller - wait, what is he up to? Click on him. And the process just continues. 15-20 mins+ of nostalgia, almost daily.

Really wish there was a hockeydb app, instead of having to use google as the quickest way to pull someone up

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I use hockeydb constantly. Often I get lost on there for so long I lose track of time. I'll do a search for say Benoit Pouliot to look up his stats. Then get interested in his draft year, click on 05-06 Sudbury Wolves. Oh hey, Nick Foligno was a teammate? Click on Foligno's stats. Hmm, Under-18 team in 03-04 before the OHL? Click on that. Teammates with Phil Kessel. Peter Mueller - wait, what is he up to? Click on him. And the process just continues. 15-20 mins+ of nostalgia, almost daily.

Really wish there was a hockeydb app, instead of having to use google as the quickest way to pull someone up
Yeah this is pretty much what my 2:30-3:00AM time slot looks like

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
although off topic,

NHL should really step up and hire all these people to work on their site.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
although off topic,

NHL should really step up and hire all these people to work on their site.

Yep. Or if sportsnet/tsn was smart, hire these guys to set this up on their site. would be a huge investment that would pay off dividends. well i'd like to think so anyway.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Who cares? Eliteprospects is 100 times better anyway. This is like comparing nhlnumbers and capgeek (rip). Hockeydb was amazing about 10 years ago, but now it's just been overpassed by a far more superior and detailed database. With all due respect to the guys who run Hockeydb. They have provided me hours of entertainment in the past.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
If you do a google search of hockeydb, that will actually be the first result you will get(the main website with a search bar right underneath it)

That seems to be the easiest way to get to their site on google.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Why would you use Hockeydb when Eliteprospects is way better?

I think they're both really good. This is a typical statement from the Finnish, seeing as eliteprospects is more popular there :) HockeyDB however is most popular in NA (Canada, any way)

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
It's because for some reason Google thinks you're mistyping hockey when typing hockeydb.

Including results for bo horvat hockey
Search only for bo horvat hockeydb​

If you click the 'search only for' link in the second line of that statement, it at least gives you hockeydb pages as the top result (though not Bo Horvat's specific page... the Canuck's draft history is top result)

Searching [noparse]'bo horvat site:hockeydb.com'[/noparse] will however give his page as the top result.

It even happens when I type "players name db", which I normally did before and it worked.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

This is exactly why I used it so much.

sure some other sites have more in depth info and can do the same thing but they run slower and it isn't as easy to do the whole "creeping" thing. If I need better information on a player of course i'll use eliteprospects or hockeyreference but when I just want some simple year by year totals and track a players career and teammates hockeydb was the most simple and easy to use way.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
I work in SEO (search engine optimization) and am pretty well-versed in how Google works. According to his explaination, he must've edited the sites robots.txt on accident and prevented it from being crawled. Google can take a few days for things to begin to be indexed, but I'd say it'll take a few days - week for it to be appearing in the search results normally.

we like our team*

This is exactly why I used it so much.

sure some other sites have more in depth info and can do the same thing but they run slower and it isn't as easy to do the whole "creeping" thing. If I need better information on a player of course i'll use eliteprospects or hockeyreference but when I just want some simple year by year totals and track a players career and teammates hockeydb was the most simple and easy to use way.

you can do all that with hockey reference though and it isn't any less easy to use than hockeydb

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
I think they're both really good. This is a typical statement from the Finnish, seeing as eliteprospects is more popular there :) HockeyDB however is most popular in NA (Canada, any way)
Yeah. I see this being a trend since Eliteprospects is a Swedish site and covers all the European leagues including very low level minor leagues and junior leagues. Hockeydb may have some more depth for North American minor leagues. Both mostly I think it's just a habit people are used to and therefore decline the better service. It took me a long while to convert from Hdb to EP but I haven't looked back ever since.

For example, if a Minnesota Wild fan wants to find information about their goalie prospect who recently scored a goal, compare the amount of information the sites provide:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=162341

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=114708

Even for ancient North American legends, EP provides all the junior stats, where Hdb doesn't.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=3792

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=23509

Are there some leagues or players that hockeydb has greater amount of information compared to EP? Please share some examples.

Last edited:

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Even for ancient North American legends, EP provides all the junior stats, where Hdb doesn't.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=3792

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=23509

Are there some leagues or players that hockeydb has greater amount of information compared to EP? Please share some examples.

Isn´t that the exact same information that is provided by Legendsofhockey.net ? I mean minor/pro/junior stats from NHL players. If they would provide OHA sr. and jr. stats from those "ancient" times then I would be really impressed.

From North American hockey history point of view HockeyDB is much better. CAHL, AHA, IHL and CPHL comes to my mind instantly. Gives information from players that didn´t play in NHL. If we talk about modern European hockey then Eliteprospects is absolutely great page. It comes down what kind of information you are looking for.

Also, I might have understood it wrong, but I believe that HDB is one man project and EP is... well I quickly counted 102 updaters.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
The problem in the screenshot is that Google has perceived the 'hockeydb' as a spelling mistake. This isn't usually a problem when searching for '*insert name* hockeydb', so I'd just take it as an anomoly

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
HockeyDB is very NA. I.e. incredibly large fonts(well, at least my impression is that NA love their big fonts, several sports sites I use have it compared to the euro ones). On a laptop, I find it annoying anyway. I can see twice as much info on EP without scrolling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad