Hockey

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Do we even have enough competitive teams? Also, don't we already have enough fun sports at the games?

Competitiveness is clearly not a prerequisite for the Olympics. There’s countries that should literally just be handed their medal as soon as they arrive to take per in a particular event.

Cmon man, who even watched air rifle, fencing, and skeet shooting…give me a break

inline>>>field hockey

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Competitiveness is clearly not a prerequisite for the Olympics. There’s countries that should literally just be handed their medal as soon as they arrive to take per in a particular event.

Cmon man, who even watched air rifle, fencing, and skeet shooting…give me a break

inline>>>field hockey
I watch all of these. Skeet could drop out, though. And having played field and inline hockey, I prefer field.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I have to say, I'm watching a Belgium-Canada game and this is very interesting to me. However, the announcer is making NO effort AT ALL to explain what is happening to people who don't already know the game. Like I've seen at least four or five things that looked like goals...but weren't, for some reason? On one the guy shoots it in and the whistle blows. "Oh, but it won't count as the whistle had blown," says the announcer, disappointedly. f***ing WHY? There's a guy in the arc, is it because of him? Is it like three in the key in basketball? This would be considered a big-time niche sport in the US, and you'd think for the US broadcast audience they'd at least try to do something to explain the game and maybe build a new audience. I won't watch the second half because I have no clue what the f*** is going on.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I wouldn't be good at field hockey. You are only allowed to use right-handed sticks.

When I write, I write with my right hand.

But in sports, I am left-handed. I shoot left in hockey, swing left in golf, and bat left in baseball.

Reactions: NyQuil

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I have to say, I'm watching a Belgium-Canada game and this is very interesting to me. However, the announcer is making NO effort AT ALL to explain what is happening to people who don't already know the game. Like I've seen at least four or five things that looked like goals...but weren't, for some reason? On one the guy shoots it in and the whistle blows. "Oh, but it won't count as the whistle had blown," says the announcer, disappointedly. f***ing WHY? There's a guy in the arc, is it because of him? Is it like three in the key in basketball? This would be considered a big-time niche sport in the US, and you'd think for the US broadcast audience they'd at least try to do something to explain the game and maybe build a new audience. I won't watch the second half because I have no clue what the f*** is going on.
Maybe the ball touched a leg. Or goalie interference, or the goal was scored with the round side of the stick. Donno, haven't watched the game. But that's poor, that the commentator doesn't explain a little.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Can't get into it. Out of the last 20 or so goals about 17 of them were from penalty corners/strokes. There's no offensive flow since any time the ball touches any part of your body in the attacking zone = a penalty corner.

The announcers also don't explain anything at all, so that's not helping. There was a goal scored that got wiped out and all they said was "5 meter rule." When you got wonky rules like that but hand out penalty shots like candy it's just a shit sport imo. Just remove the whole field and exchange penalty shots at that rate.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Can't get into it. Out of the last 20 or so goals about 17 of them were from penalty corners/strokes. There's no offensive flow since any time the ball touches any part of your body in the attacking zone = a penalty corner.

The announcers also don't explain anything at all, so that's not helping. There was a goal scored that got wiped out and all they said was "5 meter rule." When you got wonky rules like that but hand out penalty shots like candy it's just a shit sport imo. Just remove the whole field and exchange penalty shots at that rate.
You just have to stay 5 meters away from a free strike as a defender.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
So I don't understand why the hockey sticks are so short. It looks so unaesthetic when the hockey players stooped across the field. It also seems to make the passing game difficult. The hockey sticks should be longer.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Im suprised that Sweden and Finland is not good at this sport. Its 2 nations that is good at Floorball, Bandy and Icehockey.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
So I don't understand why the hockey sticks are so short. It looks so unaesthetic when the hockey players stooped across the field. It also seems to make the passing game difficult. The hockey sticks should be longer.
There is this little thing called rules, though. And there is no push for longer sticks at all.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I think the sticks actually used to be shorter once upon a time.

But yeah, I feel back pain just watching these guys play.

Reactions: Lambo

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Get body checking and fighting in there and you will dramatically improve it.

Irish and Scottish immigrants to Canada, probably drunk, threw everything in but the kitchen sink to create hockey (the one true hockey). On ice, on two razor blades, confined to a sealed area so you cannot escape, fighting, body checking, clubs in your hand, 20 players with unlimited substitutions, so you stay fresh. A beer before the game, a beer after and a beer during the game, had they not found out about swapping the content of the water bottles...Doughnuts afterwards (any European who gets this will impress the heck out of me).

The rest of the world would not stand a chance. We would clean up....

Just a side note: allow fighting, body checking and beer and we would win everything. Even the spelling bee.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Gold for Belgium :highclap:

This really has been a brilliant job from everyone involved. 15 years ago field hockey in Belgium was at the bottom, they built it from the ground up again, a 9th place finish in Beijing, 5th in London, 2nd in Rio and now finally a gold medal in Tokyo.

Reactions: Panteras

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Gold for Belgium :highclap:

This really has been a brilliant job from everyone involved. 15 years ago field hockey in Belgium was at the bottom, they built it from the ground up again, a 9th place finish in Beijing, 5th in London, 2nd in Rio and now finally a gold medal in Tokyo.
Congrats!

Reactions: Savi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->