Hockey Writer Jim Taylor passes away

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

For those of a certain age and lived in Vancouver during his hay day--he was one of the top reporters/hockey writers in Canada.

Spent most of my childhood reading his articles and buying his books

He was an old school writer who had a way to make you not get mad at him when he made a point you disagreed with.

Most writers could learn a lot form him

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Saddened to hear of Jim's passing. He was one of the top sports columnists in Canada in his heyday with the Sun/Province. Went on to an accomplished career as an author of some memorable sports books, including definitive biographies of Gretzky and Howe as I remember.

Always championed the CFL, even when the league was hanging on by a thread. And some of his legendary verbal and print battles with CKNW's 'Big Al Davidson' back in the day, were the stuff of legend.

RIP Jim. You'll be missed.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
There was a time when Jim Taylor was the reason I read the newspaper. Sad to hear.

When I was a kid and a huge Lions fan, Taylor was always the first thing I turned to in the paper. He was also the first sports writer that made me think about writing quality -- his was so much better than the average.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
Jim Taylor was a great read in The Province Sunday Sports. He even once coined a great expression, WOE (Women Opposed to Everything).

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
Saddened to hear of Jim's passing. He was one of the top sports columnists in Canada in his heyday with the Sun/Province. Went on to an accomplished career as an author of some memorable sports books, including definitive biographies of Gretzky and Howe as I remember.

Always championed the CFL, even when the league was hanging on by a thread. And some of his legendary verbal and print battles with CKNW's 'Big Al Davidson' back in the day, were the stuff of legend.

RIP Jim. You'll be missed.

Just stopping by to echo this and say that both Jim Taylor and "Big Al" were two great go-to media guys for me growing up. In a time before the internet and TSN or Sportsnet, they kept us informed and entertained and if you were lucky enough to meet them as I was, wouldn't hesitate to give you time and talk sports and share some great stories. Jim Robson too of course but I never really considered Jim as part of the media. Sad day.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Sad to hear this news. Lots of people passing away lately. He was a great writer. Him and Tony Gallagher ran this town. Till we see you again RIP = Jim Taylor

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

But on a serious note, a sad day indeed. One of the reasons why not as many read newspapers anymore. His was the column I first turned to read when I got my paper.

Times have changed and I look at the generation after JT and guys like Dan Russel and The Mortician (Tony G) and how they made it more about them then about what they were writing about

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad