News Article: Hockey Update 3/19/2020 (Coyotes Sign Former Leafs Prospect)

Spencer White

Dec 24, 2019
Reactions: nofehr

ManosArriba

Oct 24, 2017
I liked McGregor. But to say it’s a mistake to not sign a guy who didn’t exactly light the OHL on fire in an overage season is kinda extreme.

frankly, if we use the contract spot on some Russian FA’s, it’s likely a better use

He is a solid 2 way defensive centerman and has over a point a game in his last 2 seasons. The organization is barren of center talent. Taking a chance on Mcgregor would have been much more worthwhile than keeping any one of the bum vets taking up space on the Marlies. Guys like Engvall and Johnsson weren't excactly lighting the world on fire before they got here and it would have been a big mistake for Dubas to let either of those guys go for free. I thought we had a culture of developing talent here.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
McGregor's not a high end prospect but might have been a worthwhile signing since he's a center and the org doesn't have a lot of centers. Don't expect big numbers from this player as a pro. It's probably a good sign when the players a team decides against signing are signed by other orgs.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
The Leafs already have Adam Brooks who had 130 points in 66 games as an overage centre for the Regina Pats three years ago.

If a PPG defensively sound junior centre is a good bet then the guy the Leafs already have has a better resume and is three years further along in his development.

I wouldn't mind if the Leafs had signed McGregor, and I don't mind that they didn't either.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yes, we lack C prospects, that much is true. Is a 6'0" 170lb guy, the guy you want as your 4th line Defensive C? So many people criticize our size, and push back, yet we've just given away a small guy.... I don't think it's a big deal.

We've already got Adam Brooks, who is also smallish, but far more talented, and has had more success at every level. We've got Abramov and SDA as well. Really, I think Kossila and Gaudet aren't any worse that McGregor.....

Do we need more C... yes, but that wasn't going to be an answer for that.

Reactions: Ciao

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He is a solid 2 way defensive centerman and has over a point a game in his last 2 seasons. The organization is barren of center talent. Taking a chance on Mcgregor would have been much more worthwhile than keeping any one of the bum vets taking up space on the Marlies. Guys like Engvall and Johnsson weren't excactly lighting the world on fire before they got here and it would have been a big mistake for Dubas to let either of those guys go for free. I thought we had a culture of developing talent here.

Johnsson won the SHL rookie of the year award before he came over. Engvall had a ~0.65 PPG in the SHL before he came over too.

Not exactly apples to apples.

McGregor was barely in the top 10 in terms of PPG among over-agers. Outside the top 30 in OHL scoring.

Like I said, I like McGregor. However he’s got the ceiling of a guy like McKegg. Might carve out a career as a 4th line guy but won’t be a regular.

I’d much rather use that roster spot on a chance on a guy like Barabanov, Okulov or Grigorenko.

Marlies center depth is generally fine tbh. Brooks, Elynuik, Estephan all guys we’ll have at center next season. SDA could join the Marlies. Abramov could join the Marlies (though he’ll likely be a winger). Kossila will be back.

The draft is coming eventually (maybe).

Not too mention, our rights to McGregor expired last June. This isn’t even a new thing lol

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Who to compare this player to? That's a tough one. He plays like an older school type of center that you don't see any longer. It's hard to imagine the guy playing the wing. His game style is like players like Mike Peca or Mike Krushelnyski. I'm not suggesting he's that level of talent and I wouldn't compare him to forwards who have become wingers in the pros.

Brooks is playing a more modern style of center: higher energy, easily transferable to the wing. He's a better prospect than I think some are recognizing. He's probably a lock to make the 2020-21 opening roster with no more waiver exemptions. Things may go better for him than Timashov because I think he's got better skating legs.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Yawn a maybe 4 th line center is gone. We have better but need better than them. 4 th line c are never hard to get nor expensive.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
McGregor's not a high end prospect but might have been a worthwhile signing since he's a center and the org doesn't have a lot of centers. Don't expect big numbers from this player as a pro. It's probably a good sign when the players a team decides against signing are signed by other orgs.
We have plenty of 4th liners
I like dubas spending ELC s on older European players

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Who to compare this player to? That's a tough one. He plays like an older school type of center that you don't see any longer. It's hard to imagine the guy playing the wing. His game style is like players like Mike Peca or Mike Krushelnyski. I'm not suggesting he's that level of talent and I wouldn't compare him to forwards who have become wingers in the pros.

Brooks is playing a more modern style of center: higher energy, easily transferable to the wing. He's a better prospect than I think some are recognizing. He's probably a lock to make the 2020-21 opening roster with no more waiver exemptions. Things may go better for him than Timashov because I think he's got better skating legs.
Brooks is a good prospect not recognized yet. Likelyhood he is a leaf center I don’t know how long it will take him. Interesting year coming up for him to see what kind of progress he makes with the Marlies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad