News Article: Hockey Update 3/18/2020 (Denis Malgin gets NLA interest)

Spencer White

Dec 24, 2019
I'm starting a new series/column type article, where I bring news from around the league and put it onto one thing.

One very interesting thing to me was this tidbit. Denis Malgin is getting some interest from the ZSC Lions, who are exploring pursuing him when he becomes an RFA.

Also, in very remotely Leafs related news, Colin Smith won't resign with his DEL team for next season.

Check out the article, and I'd really appreciate feedback on what I should improve!

https://www.overtimeheroics.net/index.php/2020/03/18/hockey-update-03-18-2020/

Reactions: nofehr

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm starting a new series/column type article, where I bring news from around the league and put it onto one thing.

One very interesting thing to me was this tidbit. Denis Malgin is getting some interest from the ZSC Lions, who are exploring pursuing him when he becomes an RFA.

Also, in very remotely Leafs related news, Colin Smith won't resign with his DEL team for next season.

Check out the article, and I'd really appreciate feedback on what I should improve!

Malgin would likely do well with the Swiss league or even the KHL if he was inclined. I don't think he can really do much in the NHL beyond exist. Probably a better career for him. Stay home, make somewhat comparable money without taking the physical toll.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Malgin would likely do well with the Swiss league or even the KHL if he was inclined. I don't think he can really do much in the NHL beyond exist. Probably a better career for him. Stay home, make somewhat comparable money without taking the physical toll.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018

Great Idea.
Make it work Spencer.

Reactions: Spencer White

nofehr

Dec 17, 2012
Nice job on that page!

Lots of information in bite-sized chunks. Looks like a great place to go to get a daily fix of hockey information while we're missing games.

Really like it - keep it up!

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I feel like Malgin will re-sign for another year. He's a fine 13th forward and can plug in throughout the lineup.

Who is Colin Smith and how is he Leafs related?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
What's the typical salary of a player in Switzerland? I'm sure it's less than the NHL league minimum.

He may have other reasons for wanting to return to Switzerland. I understand that full Swiss citizenship can be lost if you live abroad for too long. And also being born in Switzerland doesn't necessarily make one a full Swiss citizen when your parents aren't Swiss like presumably Malgin's parents.

Spencer White

Dec 24, 2019
Nice job on that page!

Lots of information in bite-sized chunks. Looks like a great place to go to get a daily fix of hockey information while we're missing games.

Really like it - keep it up!
I really really appreciate that! Thank you!

Reactions: nofehr

Spencer White

Dec 24, 2019
I feel like Malgin will re-sign for another year. He's a fine 13th forward and can plug in throughout the lineup.

Who is Colin Smith and how is he Leafs related?
Sit down by the campfire my friend

You see, during that period in 2016 where we traded literally everyone, we traded a man named Shawn Matthias

The centrepiece of the deal was a 4th round pick, but we also landed a prospect/AHLer named Colin Smith

Smith did great with the Marlies, and earned the 'A' in his second season with them

Reactions: smitty10

Spencer White

Dec 24, 2019
What's the typical salary of a player in Switzerland? I'm sure it's less than the NHL league minimum.

He may have other reasons for wanting to return to Switzerland. I understand that full Swiss citizenship can be lost if you live abroad for too long. And also being born in Switzerland doesn't necessarily make one a full Swiss citizen when your parents aren't Swiss like presumably Malgin's parents.
Currently, the interest is one-sided (from the club), but Malgin played for the club for a while before starting his career, so the familiarity factor is there.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Currently, the interest is one-sided (from the club), but Malgin played for the club for a while before starting his career, so the familiarity factor is there.

NHL you have to consider escrow, taxes (in Toronto!!!!), and then the amount of games in NHL vs NLA or KHL. Plus the other thing is role. Would he give up 100k or something to be a top line player vs a 4th line or 13th forward?

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Sit down by the campfire my friend

You see, during that period in 2016 where we traded literally everyone, we traded a man named Shawn Matthias

The centrepiece of the deal was a 4th round pick, but we also landed a prospect/AHLer named Colin Smith

Smith did great with the Marlies, and earned the 'A' in his second season with them
Love it.

Don't remember Smith at all. Thanks for the info!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad