Hockey Trivia

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

... winning the Memorial Cup with St. Mikes, Allen Cup with the old Sr Marlies, Stanley Cup with the Leafs.

.... some very interesting players on that Senior Marlie team in 1950; George Armstrong, Flash Hollet etc..... and the President of the Senior A Marlboroughs none other than Harold E. Ballard, having been appointed to that position in 1940, both Junior's (Stafford Smythe played for the Jr. Marlboroughs before enlisting in the Navy) & Seniors. Ballard quite active with hockey through the 20's & 30's, as a kid got to know Frank Selke Sr. who ran the sports programs at St. Marys Church on Spadina in downtown Toronto which Ballard had taken part in.

Harold had won another Allen Cup in 1932 as Owner/Manager & sometimes Coach of the Toronto Sea Fleas (he was an avid powerboat racer as a young adult). That team going on to represent Canada at the 1933 WC's, losing, first Canadian team to do so & taking home Silver. Pretty crazy affair, at one point Ballard being thrown in jail in Paris after some drunkin idiocy at the hotel at which he was staying.... at anyrate after the War & Stafford Smythes discharge, Ballard appointed him GM of the Sr's, Jr's, and overseeing all of the Marlborough Clubs at the amateur level in Toronto, Atom through Midget & Juvenile.

It was Stafford Smythes hockey IQ & genius in building the farm system along with Selke Sr until he left for Montreal where he built the Canadiens Dynasty that then Ruled for 3 Decades that saw the Marlboroughs, Seniors, Juniors & their Toronto Hockey League teams dominate at every level, players groomed & playing together in some cases from about age 8 or 9 right on up through the Marlies to the minor-pro's & Leafs. That 1950 Sr team however more varied, not all lifelong Marlies, eclectic group as the Marlborough "system" had yet to produce its bounty in full until the 50's. However a very storied franchise, multi-sport going back to the 1880's & who did actually Challenge for the Stanley Cup just as the rise of professionalism in the game took hold.

Last edited:

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Only 3 times in the 7 years of the World Hockey Association did a defenseman lead his team in scoring. Two you should be able to get by guessing... the third, good luck...

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Mark Howe led the 1978-79 New England Whalers in scoring and was playing defense that year.

Good point. However, that one would be easy to overlook as 1978-79 New England Whalers Roster and Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com lists him as LW for that season (as it did for his previous 5 years in the WHA). I think for the most part, only those of us that saw him play that season for New England (or read about it elsewhere) would know that he did play defence that year.

:jets

Reactions: Vanzig and SealsFan

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Good point. However, that one would be easy to overlook as 1978-79 New England Whalers Roster and Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com lists him as LW for that season (as it did for his previous 5 years in the WHA). I think for the most part, only those of us that saw him play that season for New England (or read about it elsewhere) would know that he did play defence that year.

I have seen varying reports on when the move was and when it was permanent. I know he began playing defense while he was still in Houston, and I've heard he shifted primarily to D as early as the 1976-77 season (from multiple sources) but I've also read things that said he wasn't permanently shifted to defense until he jumped to the NHL.

To add to the confusion, the season in question, 1978-79, Mark was named a First Team All-Star ... as a Left winger... and I was always under the assumption, until right this moment, that he played that entire season on defense. In 1976-77 he was a Second Team All Star... as a defenseman.

Last edited:
Reactions: SealsFan

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I have seen varying reports on when the move was and when it was permanent. I know he began playing defense while he was still in Houston, and I've heard he shifted primarily to D as early as the 1976-77 season (from multiple sources) but I've also read things that said he was permanently shifted to defense until he jumped to the NHL.

To add to the confusion, the season in question, 1978-79, Mark was named a First Team All-Star ... as a Left winger... and I was always under the assumption, until right this moment, that he played that entire season on defense. In 1976-77 he was a Second Team All Star... as a defenseman.

Thanks for the additional info. Interesting to learn that he began playing defence while he was still with the Aeros. He was indeed a versatile player and although he is a member of the HHOF, I always felt that he was underrated as a player. Maybe it had something to do with being the son of Mr. Hockey.

Reactions: Tarantula

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
According to Mark's autobiography, he was on a line with his dad and Andre Lacroix for the 78-79 season.

In 76-77, he was moved to defence halfway through the season because they were short on defencemen, and because he was recovering from a shoulder injury and the coach thought he wouldn't get hit as much as he would at LW.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
In the Bruins-Canadiens 1979 Game 7 that ended 5-4, who scored the first 3 goals for Montreal before LaFleur/Yvon Lambert?

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
In game 5 of the 1994 Stanley Cup Finals, 8 of the 9 goals were scored in the third period.

Who scored the lone goal through that game's first two periods?

whcanuck

May 11, 2017
Name all 8 (I think it's 8 not 9) Hart Trophy winners Paul Coffey played with in his career?

Last edited:

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
Gretzky, Lemieux, Mark Messier, Jaromir Jagr, Bryan Trottier, Sergei Federov, Eric Lindros, ... and Joe Thornton? (When Thornton was but a pup? I remember Coffey finished his career with a short stint in Boston.)

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Gretzky, Lemieux, Mark Messier, Jaromir Jagr, Bryan Trottier, Sergei Federov, Eric Lindros, ... and Joe Thornton? (When Thornton was but a pup? I remember Coffey finished his career with a short stint in Boston.)

That's correct, he overlapped with Joe in Boston. I thought maybe he played with Pronger in Hartford, but he was already gone to St. Louis a few years before.

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
That's correct, he overlapped with Joe in Boston. I thought maybe he played with Pronger in Hartford, but he was already gone to St. Louis a few years before.

I knew he never played with Pronger because Coffey was traded to Hartford for Brendan Shanahan, and Shanahan was traded to Hartford in the first place from St. Louis for... Chris Pronger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad