Hockey Trivia

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Correct! December 11th, 1977. Bladon scored 4 goals, assisted on 4 others in a Flyers 11-1 romp over the Cleveland Barons. Hint/clue.... a record unmatched for 9 seasons thereafter.... Orr had held the previous record from a game vs the Rangers in 73, when he scored 3, assisted on 4.
Would that be Paul Coffey as the other one to do so as well?

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Who is the 1st European Hockey star to attend a NHL training camp and when ?

Hint : was offered a contract but got hurt in pre-season.

Sven Tumba in 1957 with Bruins at my knowledge was the first. Quite many Europeans who fit to "Star" category visited camps before Hiti.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Who scored in regulation during the Flyers/Penguins 5 OT playoff game from 2000?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Who was the first player to score a penalty shot goal in OT (regular season)? Who did he score against?

I won't lie to you, I looked it up. How could you not? Ralph Bowman of the St. Louis Eagles scored on November 13, 1934 against Alec Connell of the Montreal Maroons.

I didn't know this, but in the early days of the penalty shot the shot was taken in the same way you would see it in that old Blades of Steel Nintendo game. The player was stationary while shooting and the goalie had to wait for the shot to come. The puck was placed in the slot I believe.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
I won't lie to you, I looked it up. How could you not? Ralph Bowman of the St. Louis Eagles scored on November 13, 1934 against Alec Connell of the Montreal Maroons.

I didn't know this, but in the early days of the penalty shot the shot was taken in the same way you would see it in that old Blades of Steel Nintendo game. The player was stationary while shooting and the goalie had to wait for the shot to come. The puck was placed in the slot I believe.

IIRC, there were two classes of penalty shots for different infractions. A breakway and the direct shot you mention.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
This isn't trivia but just an observation that might surprise some people. The coach who is sitting 10th overall in career wins - which is an exclusive club - is Ron Wilson.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
When was the last time a Conn Smythe winner scored the Stanley Cup winning goal?

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
When was the last time a Conn Smythe winner scored the Stanley Cup winning goal?
Depends what you mean. If you are referring to say a Finals overtime game to clinch the cup, or simply score the go ahead goal in that game where the cup was won, which turned out to be the game winner.

If it is the latter, I know Zetterberg scored the 3rd goal in 2008, game 6, to go up 3-2, which ended up being the final score, and of course, Hank won the Conn Smythe.

If it is the former, no clue, ha. :popcorn:

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I´m not going to ask this as an question, because it might be too difficult. Also it´s barely hockey related. But nice little trivia.

Noticed that there was player called Noel Jenke whose rights were owned by NFL, MLB and NHL team.

He was drafted in the first round of 1969 MLB draft by Red Sox. Played only in their minor league teams.

He was drafted in 12. round of 1969 NFL draft by Vikings. Played in 3 teams during 4 seasons.

Sources say that he was drafted to NHL, but that doesn´t seem to be correct. But in truth Tommy Ivan did put him in Black Hawks negotiation list (1969) which means that they owned his exclusive negotiation rights. Played hockey in Minnesota university, but to my knowledge did not continue his hockey career.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO

Eesh. I have egg on my face. I did not know about this, and this was not the goal I was thinking about. But well done! :handclap::handclap::handclap:

Let me rephrase: who was the first player to score a penalty shot goal in OT (regular season) in the modern OT era (since 1983-84)?

SCampo98

Dec 24, 2015
Sherbrooke, QC
This is more of a statement of trivia than a question, but still one of my all-time favourites.

In the late 1960's Roger Nielson was the coach of the Peterborough Petes and did not like penalty shots. In one game, he was fed up when he opposition was awarded one and decided to go about it a different way. he decided to pull his goalie, and instead put star defenceman Ron Stackhouse in the net.

When the opposing player touched the puck to begin, Stackhouse charged at him and hit him, ending the penalty shot. This type of thing was quickly prohibited, but its still amazing it even happened int eh first place.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
This is more of a statement of trivia than a question, but still one of my all-time favourites.

In the late 1960's Roger Nielson was the coach of the Peterborough Petes and did not like penalty shots. In one game, he was fed up when he opposition was awarded one and decided to go about it a different way. he decided to pull his goalie, and instead put star defenceman Ron Stackhouse in the net.

When the opposing player touched the puck to begin, Stackhouse charged at him and hit him, ending the penalty shot. This type of thing was quickly prohibited, but its still amazing it even happened int eh first place.

Nielson was the master of "questionable tactics". Two others that come to mind: when he pulled his goalie, he instructed his goalie to always leave their stick on the ice, in front of the posts and parallel to the goal line (to stop pucks from trickling in), and when the opposition was about to get a breakaway (especially on an empty net), he'd tell his players on the bench to rush the ice warranting an immediate whistle and penalty for too-many-men (now, TMM penalties will be "delayed" just like any other penalty).

Reactions: RegDunlop

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
... :laugh: yes indeedy... and a terrific book by Wayne Scanlan (2004) called Rogers World; The Life & Unusual Times of Roger Nielson well worth the read.

Never read it, thanks for the suggestion.

Some people are going to kill me for making this comparison, but I thought Sean Avery's "antics" vs. Brodeur in the 08 playoffs were something Nielson would've smiled at. Avery's dislikability aside, it was a shrewd play that was technically within the rules at the time. I always felt that if you disliked what Avery did, then you better be consistent and dislike a lot of what Nielson did.

For me - I thought both were clever, and at the same time I had no issues with the NHL swiftly instituting rules to make those kind of things illegal.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
What goalie held the record for most games played in an NHL season prior to Grant Fuhr's 79 in 1995-96?

boyko10

44-11-9
Apr 27, 2017

Blades of Steel also had the best rule ever.. In a fight only the loser was penalized =)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->