98.5 The Sports Hub Hockey Show

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Sports Hub Hockey Show: October 5, 2019

Ryan Johnston and Billy Jaffe break down the Bruins opening night win over the Stars on Thursday night in Dallas. Plus, we get Ty Anderson’s thoughts on the win and the continued strong performance of Charlie Coyle. And, Bob Beers and Judd Sirrott check in from Arizona ahead of tonight’s game against the Coyotes.​

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Sports Hub Hockey Show: October 19, 2019

On this edition of the Sports Hub Hockey Show, Ryan Johnston and Billy Jaffe recap the Bruins tough shootout loss versus the Tampa Bay Lightning and preview tonight's big test on the road against the Toronto Maple Leafs. Also, Bruins' radio broadcasters Judd Sirott and Bob Beers join the show to give their analysis of the Bruins' season thus far and discuss if the team's lack of secondary scoring is a concern. Plus, do you really like shootouts?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
i got a question that bothers me... this maria from watertown calls every single show... usually shes the ONLY caller. is this some insider joke? is she actually a paid co-host? why is she the only 1 that gets through? and how is she available every week when the other guys miss shows?

for what its worth... she does a great job zeroing in on the 2-3 points that are topical and she expresses the preveiling viewpoint... im quite impressed by her 'common sense' but really??? everyweek?

and when the other station did their sunday skate program she was on it too... crazy

Reactions: Strafer

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
i got a question that bothers me... this maria from watertown calls every single show... usually shes the ONLY caller. is this some insider joke? is she actually a paid co-host? why is she the only 1 that gets through? and how is she available every week when the other guys miss shows?

for what its worth... she does a great job zeroing in on the 2-3 points that are topical and she expresses the preveiling viewpoint... im quite impressed by her 'common sense' but really??? everyweek?

and when the other station did their sunday skate program she was on it too... crazy

Maria has the producer's phone number at both stations.

@Alberta_OReilly_Fan - she lurks here at HF and has since Day 1

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Sports Hub Hockey Show: October 26, 2019

Ryan Johnston, Bob Beers, and Judd Sirott kicked off the Sports Hub Hockey Show previewing tonight's Boston Bruins Stanley Cup Final rematch with the St. Louis Blues. The guys also looked back at the Bruins back-to-back games with the Toronto Maple Leafs. Billy Jaffe, of NESN, checked in to talk about tonight's Bruins game and some of the other stories from around the league. Ryan, Bob, and Judd also discussed the play of David Pastrnak. Bob Sweeney, the Executive Director of the Boston Bruins Foundation, joined the show to discuss today's inaugural Alumni Classic-Face Off for Heroes hockey game between the Bruins and Rangers alumni. Ty Anderson, of 985TheSportsHub.com, called in from Bruins Morning Skate to talk about the play of the B's heading into tonight's game.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
On this edition of the Sports Hub Hockey Show, Ryan Johnston, Judd SIrott and Bob Beers discuss Friday’s big win in Toronto, snapping the Bruins four-game losing streak. Before Friday’s win, what caused the Bruins’ slump? Should Coach Bruce Cassidy mix things up more on the third and fourth lines? Also, what are some potential needs that can be addressed by mid-season? Plus, Ty Anderson and Billy Jaffe chime in about the Bruins’ recent rough stretch and help preview Saturday’s big match-up against the Capitals.

Sports Hub Hockey Show: November 16, 2019

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Sports Hub Hockey Show: November 23, 2019

Ryan Johnston is joined by the Bruins radio play-by-play team of Judd Sirott and Bob Beers to preview the Bruins match-up against the Wild, discuss the absence of Torey Krug and what the team has been missing. They also talk about physical play in the NHL, Ty Anderson joins in, and to end the show, we went around the league with Billy Jaffe.​

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Sports Hub Hockey Show: November 30, 2019

Ryan Johnston is joined by Bruins radio play by play team of Judd Sirott and Bob Beers to breakdown the Bruins thrilling OT victory over the New York Rangers on Friday afternoon at the TD Garden. Plus, they react to the contract extensions for Charlie Coyle and Chris Wagner...m Plus, we are joined by Bob Sweeney of the Boston Bruins Foundation to talk about the Bruins license plate auction and other charitable ventures around the team … And, Billy Jaffe joins us to take a look back at the week that was for the Bruins and around the NHL with the latest news and notes from the world of hockey.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I'm enjoying the younger generation of Bruins beat/ podcast reporters, Ty is one of my favorites, solid add to the show

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Sports Hub Hockey Show: December 21, 2019

Ryan Johnston is joined by the Bruins radio play-by-play team of Judd Sirott and Bob Beers as the Bruins continue their losing ways, with losses in 7 of their last 8 games… Plus, we discuss the week that was for the B’s with Ty Anderson of 985thesportshub.com… And Billy Jaffe of NESN joins the discussion to bring us news and notes from around the league!

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Sports Hub Hockey Show: December 28, 2019

Ryan Johnston, Judd Sirott, and Bob Beers kicked off the Hockey Show breaking down the Boston Bruins and last night's 3-0 shutout win over the Sabres in Buffalo. Ty Anderson, of 985TheSportsHub.com, joined the guys to discuss last night's Bruins win, the play of the B's first line, Monday night's win over the Washington Capitals, and the role of Danton Heinen. Finally, Billy Jaffe of NESN called in to take a look around the rest of the NHL.​

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Sports Hub Hockey Show: January 4, 2020

On this edition of the Sports Hub Hockey Show, Ryan Johnston is joined by Judd Sirott and Bob Beers to recap yet another OT loss for the Bruins, this time to the Blue Jackets. Why can't the Bruins shake their OT woes? Can the Bruins bounce back for their Saturday matinee vs the Oilers? Also, what potential targets are out there for the Bruins to zone in on before the trade deadline? Plus, Ty Anderson and Billy Jaffe discuss key areas of improvement, as well as other items around the NHL.​

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Sports Hub Hockey Show: January 25, 2020

With the All-Star break upon us, Ryan Johnston and Ty Anderson evaluate the Bruins' first-half of the season and discuss their thoughts about the second-half. Thus far, what are your biggest concerns about this Bruins team? What improvements do the Bruins need to make? And what possible trade targets are out there that could help…

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

She's PAINFUL to listen to. I don't know if they open up the mikes to other callers but IMO she brings the conversation down, down dooown...
She's their resident "expert" since really only Jaffe knows hockey IMO. I would call in but I'm not going to sit on hold for a half hour just to try to make a point within 15 seconds when they give "her" what seems like 10 minutes. Don't know if she's paid or just that real, true die-hard fans (HF Board types) can't be bothered with educating other 98.5/WBZ listeners. That station along with NESN turns off long time B's fans with their ignorance of not only the Bruins but college hockey, the NHL draft and prospects and just hockey in general. Maria and her opinions are so shallow we would have to dumb down our conversation of the subject if we bothered to get on the air during that show. You know Mike, I think that you can call toll free from Western Canada and give them quite an ear full. BTW: I don't know how Jaffe can keep a straight face when Maria calls...

Reactions: Alicat

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
She's PAINFUL to listen to. I don't know if they open up the mikes to other callers but IMO she brings the conversation down, down dooown...
She's their resident "expert" since really only Jaffe knows hockey IMO. I would call in but I'm not going to sit on hold for a half hour just to try to make a point within 15 seconds when they give "her" what seems like 10 minutes. Don't know if she's paid or just that real, true die-hard fans (HF Board types) can't be bothered with educating other 98.5/WBZ listeners. That station along with NESN turns off long time B's fans with their ignorance of not only the Bruins but college hockey, the NHL draft and prospects and just hockey in general. Maria and her opinions are so shallow we would have to dumb down our conversation of the subject if we bothered to get on the air during that show. You know Mike, I think that you can call toll free from Western Canada and give them quite an ear full. BTW: I don't know how Jaffe can keep a straight face when Maria calls...

shameful secret... ive never called a call-in show ever...

closest I came... I would send in some emails to the john short show here in Edmonton in the very early days of email. he finally read one on the air... I as suggesting name changes for all the major awards

he read it... made a comment like, we could talk about this... suggested I phone in some time... and then just moved on like it never even happened at all

I do agree with your take on maria in how shallow her call is... I said she zeroed right in on the topics which sort of impressed me, but its such a shallow take on it. in her defense, most the listeners to that show dont come to a forum like this everyday to be informed. I do sort of like how she does dummy the conversation down for the very casual fan

I mean in a way... it didnt surprise me when fenway said she lurks here. her questions are basically a top 3 summary of whatever our board is talking about Thursday/Friday... and she really organizes the conversation nice and simple and talks well. so... I can see why she would be popular with the shows producer.

I just... personally... get nothing out of her call other than a confirmation that whatever I was thinking, some caller is thinking it too... I would like to be more challanged by the content on a radio show.

I sort of wish they had a couple more whacko callers... the type of guys that say McAvoy sucks or the team isnt tough enough. I wouldnt agree, but at least I get entertained watching people make fools of themselves.

maria is no fool... so I salute her... even if I also have to say shes not exactly my dream entertainment segment

on the overall topic of fun radio to listen too... I got to recommend the habs lunch segment on tsn. chris nilan and tony mariano are 2 of the 3 regular co-hosts and these guys have hot firey blow their mind takes on an almost daily basis. its not much fun if montreal is winning... but thankfully montreal is tanking now. its really fun radio for a bruin fan to listen to

Reactions: Strafer

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
If I were a betting man I’d wager that Maria is on here.

A lot of her points/topics mirror what is discussed here each week.

Even some of the more obscure ones.

Reactions: Alicat and Strafer

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Some solid Heinen observations from Maria today.

Didnt realize he was scratched for the last couple...thought they were all injury related.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad