Advice: Hockey + Running - Death?

nycpunk1

Jan 9, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
This Sunday I ran the B.A.A. Half Marathon here in Boston. I also played hockey that night and for a few hours on Tuesday. Interesting result: Holy **** everything hurts. I can definitely feel my body straddling that line between "good sore" and "uh oh".

Anyone have tips on managing a mix of running and hockey? Obviously 13.1 miles + a game on the same day was kinda stupid. But what else do people do to get in their miles/skates without overtraining?

Ski season's around the corner in my neck of the woods as well-- anyone have any wisdom to impart there?

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012
Recovery drinks will go a long way to reduce pain, at least they did for me. 6oz water, 6oz coconut water, 2 scoops protein powder, 1 banana is my recipe that I use which works pretty well.

Other than that of course it is to gradually build up strength to handle it all and not overdo it before that.

Stickchecked

Jun 16, 2012
Ottawa, ON
Make sure you're rested for hockey or you risk an injury. That's how I pulled my groin and it's dogged me ever since. Too much bike the few days before left me tired on the ice and I felt a *tug* in the groin.

On option is to do cardio "after" hockey, either later in day or next morning. You don't need to be as rested to do cardio. I play hockey in the morning so I'm trying to ride the bike in the evening time while watching the game.

(Admittedly, running is harder on the body than cycling, so running when tired has its risks.)

No question, though, it's a hard balance to achieve. And once you try to incorporate strength and core training into it, you quickly run out of recovery hours. (And don't even think about an extra sport. lol)

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
Key would seem to just not overdo it - buddy of mine skied all day and then played hockey at night and blew out both knees - legs were too tired to hold proper form.

Stickchecked

Jun 16, 2012
Ottawa, ON
Key would seem to just not overdo it - buddy of mine skied all day and then played hockey at night and blew out both knees - legs were too tired to hold proper form.

THIS.

I came from a bike racing background which is based on driving your body into exhaustion and doing it again day after day. Sure, you build in recovery days but being tired is a fact of life.

You can't do that with hockey. Your body needs to be rested and ready to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad