hockey roadtrip

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
Hello dear Swedish hockey fans!

Unfortunately the Swiss hockey league makes a break during Christmas/New Year time... So a friend and I decided to make a hockey roadtrip through Sweden during this time. We have planned to be in Sweden from 27.12. until 03.01.

I think good games for a roadtrip would be:

28.12. Färjestads - MODO
30.12. Linköping - Örebro
02.01. AIK - HV71

We will fly to Stockholm.

We will stay in Stockholm for the 1st night. And I guess we would then rent a car. Or would you suggest the train? How are the connections between Stockholm - Karlstad - Linköping - Stockholm?

Where would you stay between the games in Karlstad and Linköping? Is Karlstad or Linköping nicer?
We will probably heading to Stockholm on 31.12.

What do you think, are these plans nice or would you suggest an other route?

Is it easy to get tickets on gamedays? If not, where can I buy tickets?

The only things which are definite:
- We will fly to Stockholm on 27.12. and back to Zürich on 03.01.
- I want to see the Färjestads BK game! :)

Your help is much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Yabob

Dec 12, 2006
Linköping
That sounds like a nice trip. :nod:

Based on the definite things you want to do and the available games during that time that seems like the best route.

Car or train is a matter of choice. Connections between Karlstad and Stockholm are good. The same can be said about the connections between Linköping and Stockholm. Traveling between Karlstad and Linköping will mean using somewhat smaller roads or changing trains, but it shouldn't be that problematic.

Renting a car obviously gives you freedom. You can travel when you want to and you have a means to get around in the cities if you don't want to walk or use the local public transportation (in Stockholm I would recommend using the subway though). You will also save some time when traveling between Karlstad and Linköping assuming you don't get lost (a GPS should prevent this) and drive at the speed limitations.

Going by train obviously means you don't have to worry about finding your way (apart from geting on the right train). You, of course, won't have the same freedom about when to travel and you will have to get around by other means in the cities. I'ts also worth mentioning that there are often delays when travling by train during the winter.

Where to stay between the games is probably a matter of what you like to do between the games (when not traveling between the cities). What kind of activites would you be interested in?

As for the tickets.... I'm not expecting any of the games to be sold out, so you should probably be able to get tickets at the arenas (Linköping haven't even released the tickets for that game yet). You can also buy your tickets online, but everything is in Swedish. You will find it here http://shl.se/biljett. Click on the team in question and you will be taken to their ticket service (the link for AIK doesn't seem to work though).

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
Thank you very much for the information given, Yabob!

I think we will chose the car. It's not that expensive. What about the gas? Is it expensive? (in Switzerland 1 liter unleaded is around SEK 12.11)

Could you please tell me the best things to do in Karlstad and Linköping?
In general we are not very demanding. A good restaurant and some nice pubs/bars and we are ok (and good hockey, of course). :D

romelson

Dec 19, 2007
Ornskoldsvik
Thank you very much for the information given, Yabob!

I think we will chose the car. It's not that expensive. What about the gas? Is it expensive? (in Switzerland 1 liter unleaded is around SEK 12.11)

Could you please tell me the best things to do in Karlstad and Linköping?
In general we are not very demanding. A good restaurant and some nice pubs/bars and we are ok (and good hockey, of course). :D

Gas price is around SEK 14:- per liter at the moment.

When in Linkoping, I always eat at Överste Mörner at the big central square. Nice steaks.
http://www.overstemorner.se/

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
World Junior Championship's are played in Malmö during your roadtrip; link to schedule. It's entertaining, high level junior hockey. You'd see future NHLers and of course Team Switzerland.

Going to Malmö would also give you the opportunity to visit Copenhagen by using the Öresund Bridge.

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
You guys are great, thanks a lot!

We've changed our plans. :)

27.12. Stockholm
28.12. Färjestad - MODO
29.12. Göteborg
30.12. Switzerland - Norway
31.12. Canada - USA
2.1. Quarterfinal
3.1. Malmö - Stockholm by car....it's a long ride, but we are two guys.
30.12. Switzerland - Norway

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
My trip will start soon... I still have a question...

Is it possible to watch the Winter Classic somewhere in Malmö?

Thank you!

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
I would call glorias, harrys and the other sports bars. If they are even open they should be able to give you a TV that shows it. Otherwise I doubt it's on anywhere.

Jonnieboy15

Nov 8, 2013
Stockholm
Have fun on your trip and I'll see you in Malmö! Would be nice if you could write a little post about what you thought after the trip, maybe some pictures. Always fun to read!

pulverapa

Jul 22, 2011
Stockholm
Another option is to skip Karlstad, stay in Stockholm and watch Djurgården-Almtuna in the 2nd league on the 28th of December. The arena in Karlstad is awesome but you will get a more genuine hockey feeling in Stockholm. ;)

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
@pulverapa: I didn't skip Karlstad, because I like Färjestads BK since they played at the Spengler Cup in the 90's. :)

@Jonnieboy15: I am sorry, I didn't take pictures... but a little review:

We arrived on 27.12. in Stockholm and drove to Karlstad on 28.12. to see the game Färjestads BK vs MODO. Färjestads won the game 2-1. It was a good game, but Färjestads should have won by a bigger margin. They had lots of chances. I was surprised about the impact of Berglund. He's still a good player. The level of the game is approximately like in Switzerland. I like Shawn Belle. The only player of MODO, who stood out was Mattias Ritola. Unfortunately we got a parking fine... We didn't have enough coins and the automat did not accept our cards. (it wasn't our last parking fine :rant:)
I was surprised about the atmosphere at the game. I didn't expect many fan songs, but they were chanting all the time. Swedish hockey fans are more enthusiastic than I thought! :handclap: I really like the arena too!

After the game we drove to Göteborg. We stayed at Radisson Blu for two nights, great hotel! The city is very nice and the O'Learys is a great place. :D

In the morning of the 30.12. we drove down to Malmö. I liked the landscape on our way down to Malmö, even though the weather wasn't great.
After checking in at the STF we went to the Malmö Arena to watch Russia-Finland. The game was meh and there weren't many fans in the stadium (compared to the following day). After the game we took a taxi to get to the Isstadion to watch Canada-Slovakia. WOW, the Canadians were crazy! Sooooo many Canadians and the atmosphere was great! We left after 30 minutes to go back to the Malmö Arena to support our Swiss team... The game was pretty bad..... as always when our teams play against weaker opponents. At least our team won.
The next day was just great! Great hockey and great atmosphere in both rinks. Firstly we watched Sweden-Russia... WOOOOOW! The Swedish fans were awesome and the team played very good in the first period. Forsberg and Lindholm were unbelievable. Two great young players! I am also a fan of Olofsson now. :)
After the game we went to the Isstadion to watch Canada-USA.. unfortunately we missed Switzerland-Finland... but we decided to watch the game between these two rivals... On one side it was a good decision, as the game was really good, on the other side the decision wasn't that good, since the Swiss has beaten Finland. Anyway, I don't regret it.
New Years Eve wasn't that great... Many bars were stacked... We didn't get into the clubs, because we didn't wear elegant shoes... And the fireworks were pretty dangerous.
But the 1.1. was great, we watched the Winter Classic at Sir Toby's... a good place!

Then on 2.1. we watched USA-Russia... The US boys started well into the game, but then lost unfortunately. After the game we drove to Stockholm. It was a pretty long ride, but well, we knew that. :)

Unfortunately I didn't see a lot of Stockholm, so I have to visit Stockholm once again.

(I am sorry, my English is not that good, but I think most of the text is understandable :))

Jonnieboy15

Nov 8, 2013
Stockholm
Very fun to read about your adventures! I too enjoyed the WJC tournament even tho New Years eve was a disaster (no open bars/crowded bars/fireworks almost killing us), we ended up having beers and champagne at the hotel bar, but it was okey.

I really think you should give Stockholm a try, maybe watch a Djurgården-game if you happen to be there in winter!

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
Very nice read, was fun to read an outsiders perspective. You guys really love your hockey! :) Do you have any estimation for how much your trip cost per person, by the way?

Glad you found your way to the WJC-tournament as well. I was at Sweden - Russia too, and the crowd was indeed quite good :)

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
A nice read! If you return, don't be afraid to ask for help at this forum I am sure there are many of us who would like to contribute your experience (in a good way!).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad