Hockey-reference.com Player Rankings

Prophecy35

Dec 9, 2009
This is a great way to pass some time. I had some tough matchups the last time I did it. Well, matchups that seemed closer than I expected they would be.

Russ Courtnall vs. Langenbrunner
Larmer vs. Lemaire

I barely voted Langenbrunner, and the only two things that made me choose Lemaire (just considering his playing days) were his cups, and his hall of fame induction. IMO, unless I am totally off here, Larmer isn't that far behind, even though he isn't in. "Poor man's" Lemaire maybe?

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
I'd say Larmer is more like a poorly timed Lemaire. Put him in place of Lemaire, Tonelli or Anderson and he's in the Hall of Fame right now.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
They're doing the same thing on their baseball and basketball sites. Babe Ruth has a slight lead over Ted Williams on the baseball one, while in basketball Michael Jordan is way ahead of everyone else.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Much fun, although I use the skip function quite a bit because I don't want to decide between two players that I know next to nothing about.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Much fun, although I use the skip function quite a bit because I don't want to decide between two players that I know next to nothing about.

They would encourage this if skip was a faster way to get to the next matchup. But instead it's actually a bit more effort to do so which means a lot of judgements will be simply made on a snap to get to the next one.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
They would encourage this if skip was a faster way to get to the next matchup. But instead it's actually a bit more effort to do so which means a lot of judgements will be simply made on a snap to get to the next one.

Well, I check the numbers also in those pairs I skip just for fun and knowledge, so the second or two doesn't bother me. If I tire at looking at the numbers, it's my indication to do something else. :)

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
Weird - Gretzky has come up for voting a full 100 less times than the others. I thought it was strange he was trailing so badly. Normalized he would be up on Orr by over a hundred points.
I thought for a while there it was just a lot of anti-Gretzky voters.

Yzerman, a hundred times more, which would explain why he was in 5th for a while.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
..No kudos for Norris, Calder, Lady Byng, Art Ross winners...Bronco Horvath, Goalie Don Simmons not included..Ridiculous:sarcasm:
Agree, the selection criteria is quite ridiculous. The 3 AS game criteria really favors fringe players on cup winners. This is why you are seeing guys like Andre Pronovost and Bob Turner instead of Bronco Horvath & Don Simmons. It also leaves off players who predate the AS game.

The site is quite addictive though. However it is frustrating that the top players seem to pop up so rarely.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Weird - Gretzky has come up for voting a full 100 less times than the others. I thought it was strange he was trailing so badly. Normalized he would be up on Orr by over a hundred points.
I thought for a while there it was just a lot of anti-Gretzky voters.

Yzerman, a hundred times more, which would explain why he was in 5th for a while.

Just noticed these details as well.

KingGallagherXI

Jul 10, 2009
Some of the matchups are really weird. Randy Carlyle vs Marian Gaborik... Jesus, huh... Carlyle I guess? Just weird.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
It looks like Detroit fans have decided to hijack the voting based on the current standings:

1. Bobby Orr
2. Gordie Howe
3. Wayne Gretzky
4. Steve Yzerman :help:
5. Paul Coffey :banghead:
6. Ted Lindsay :amazed:
7. Nicklas Lidstrom :shakehead
8. Mario Lemieux

It wouldn't be quite so suspicious if it wasn't for Yzerman and Lindsay having over 100 more matches than the other top players.

Vote for Rory v2.0?

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
How do they have so many more votes though? Do red wings fans just skip every matchup that doesn't have their favorites?

Doesn't seem worth our time if this is how the results end up.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Re: the Detroit thing, Peter Forsberg is below Pavel Datsyuk now.

Also Hasek-Sawchuk are 1-2 for goalies with a gap below them.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Ugh, well fan voting always sounds like a good idea at the time...

Seriously surprised that the main board crowd even knows about hockey reference.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
There are obviously several Detroit fans spending a lot of time voting here. I seem to remember them doing this on another poll a while back.

I guess they are voting their favs every time no matter how long the odds. Other top guys like Lemieux & Hull they are always voting against.

Makes the poll not worth the time.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
They should implement something where, if you consistently make choices that go against the consensus, there's an IP ban.

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
That's lame.
Seems difficult though - I've been on there for hours and just so rarely get those marquee matchups, that it would be hard to really exercise that much favoritism.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
The best solution is to popularize it amongst people who know what they're looking at.

I'm finding this an excellent exercise in what I favour when ranking all-time players. When I started this, it was hard to see a pattern, but now I know more about what I think is important.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It's inevitable with public voting. Detroit is a popular team, but all it takes is it being posted on a fan forum for another team and their guys get voted up.

At the start Orr and Bourque got propped up massively so you could have assumed a Boston fan bias too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad