Hockey-reference.com Player Rankings

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I just noticed it too. The first random matchup it spit out for me was Lanny McDonald vs. Rick Nash.

Definitely looks like something fun to do when I'm bored, though seeing Vanbiesbrouck and Vokoun ahead of Smith, Bower and Fuhr in their goalie ratings doesn't seem right. Plus the current ratings for Howie Morenz (#25) and Eddie Shore (#34) doesn't bode well for early players getting their due.

Edit: OK, I've just spent about a hour on this thing. Very addictive, though I had to go through dozens of less-than-stellar matchups (i.e. Glen Hanlon vs. Patrick Lalime, Mike Keane vs. Willi Plett) before I got my first "marquee match" (Coffey vs. Yzerman).

I imagine that after a couple of weeks the list will smooth itself out and be an accurate reflection of the fans choices of the best players ever. Much like IMDB's top 250 movie list is the most popular movies of all-time according to their users, but it's not really the 250 best movies ever.

Last edited:

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
I love the idea behind this and it's also fun and addictive. My issue would be how awful and how much weight it put behind the starting rankings.

I'm curious if someone around here could duplicate this somehow with much better starting rankings for just the HOH to use. I think it could be a great, rough, constantly updated "top xxxx" player list. (the hockeyreference one could be too, but it'd take a good while to get the rankings to where the yshould be)

unknown33

Dec 8, 2009
Love it.

Doug Bentley or Babe Siebert? :dunno:

You can vote for a player without the whole matchup thing ... just click on his profile/fan ratings --> VOTE

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Jut helped bob gainey move just a tiny bit closer to overtaking Tim young... It really sucks that their initial rankings were based entirely on stats that are mostly offense.

Dom

Aug 6, 2006
A great way to gauge people's perception of these players but not their inherent greatness. I like the fact that this is placed under frivolities. Great initiative by Hockeyreference.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
A great way to gauge people's perception of these players but not their inherent greatness. I like the fact that this is placed under frivolities. Great initiative by Hockeyreference.

It's really not a great way to gauge perceptions, at least not yet, because the initial rankings were determined by the deeply flawed points shares stat.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Hasek's numbers have taken a hit since this started. Looks like the haters are out in force.

Brodeur hasn't been able to break into the top 5 either. It looks like the uncontroversial guys (Roy, Plante) are doing well, and people are strategically voting against other goalies - at least Hasek, and maybe Brodeur.

Dom

Aug 6, 2006
Each player has been through a hundred matchups each. Give them 10000 and it will be a lot more accurate. Just need to let the math do the job.

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
Hasek's numbers have taken a hit since this started. Looks like the haters are out in force.

Brodeur hasn't been able to break into the top 5 either. It looks like the uncontroversial guys (Roy, Plante) are doing well, and people are strategically voting against other goalies - at least Hasek, and maybe Brodeur.

Hasek started out 1st and quickly dropped to now 7th.
There really is a lot of irrational views on him.

I've seen Brodeur as high as 4th.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
I dunno about ever hoping this system to be worthwhile. It weighs educated and uneducated votes exactly the same.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Each player has been through a hundred matchups each. Give them 10000 and it will be a lot more accurate. Just need to let the math do the job.

True. The big issue is an awful starting place. For example, it will take months for bob gainey to be rated over mediocre modern scoring line guys.

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
I dunno about ever hoping this system to be worthwhile. It weighs educated and uneducated votes exactly the same.

The sheer amount of players at first annoyed me - who really cares where Manny Legace ends up, for instance - but on the positive side, it does ensure those with an agenda rarely get to exercise it. I've been hoping to help Hasek out, but his name has not come up a single time for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad