Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Source
Hockey ratings take a tumble
NHL's post-lockout honeymoon is over for TSN and CBC
Nov. 30, 2006. 06:35 AM
CHRIS ZELKOVICH
SPORTS MEDIA COLUMNIST

Canadian hockey fans' euphoria at having their game back, which produced record TV ratings, has apparently cooled off.

National ratings for CBC and TSN show a significant decline from last season, the first after the NHL lost an entire season to a labour dispute.

I guess you Canucks don't care as much as you did last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
Personally, I lost interest seeing the same teams play each other over and over and over and over again.

Seriously, Toronto versus Boston four times this month?

Most of the games I wanted to watch, weren't on TSN or CBC. Thankfully, TVU filled that need.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
you mean torontonian's - as for the world series?

Yes, blame Toronto for everything! What about the world series, they drew what 10 million? That's the lowest it has been in years but still blows the NHL out of the water in Ratings over here. This is great actually, because a lot of Canadians on this board are savages when it comes to Americans and Hockey.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Yes, blame Toronto for everything! What about the world series, they drew what 10 million? That's the lowest it has been in years but still blows the NHL out of the water in Ratings over here. This is great actually, because a lot of Canadians on this board are savages when it comes to Americans and Hockey.

i knew that'd get ya going - world series - lowest rating's ever -

the hockey rating's in canada go as the leaf's go - 1.5 to 2 million viewer's less when the leafs were outta the playoff's last year - no one in ontario watches the late game's from the west either - it's 1 in the morning for god sake's -

Old Hickory

Maybe this is yet another sign that fans like fighting in the games and the league doing everything is can to curb it is killing the game?

hexrae

Jun 29, 2006
Peg City
Big shock there... the NHL is predominantly the only real pro league that has a presence in Canada (excluding Toronto of course).

So what then? Thanks for the article, it's a good read but what are we to do besides qouting only those portions that make our points look good (whatever those points are).

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Maybe this is yet another sign that fans like fighting in the games and the league doing everything is can to curb it is killing the game?

I fully agree with you there but I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

CanadianDestroyer

Oct 3, 2006
Edmonton
I'm not really surprised, ratings would go up last year because everyone was starved for hockey after going for a year without it. They probably just settled down to pre-lockout levels after the initial boost of the NHL coming back.

vbet*

I want to see the salary cap go down to 40 million and watch all the GM's heads explode.

Victory Ali*

Agreed... people like violence. The fastest growing sport in America is arguably the UFC. Do you think Nascar's popularity is because people like watching cars go around in circles for four hundred miles? Bettman's whole administration is a joke.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Agreed... people like violence. The fastest growing sport in America is arguably the UFC. Do you think Nascar's popularity is because people like watching cars go around in circles for four hundred miles? Bettman's whole administration is a joke.

I was actually watching something about Nascar's ratings are on the decline due to the time that the races start and the amount of time people need to invest in watching an entire race.

Old Hickory

I fully agree with you there but I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

I'm not bring sarcastic.

I know you and I rarely agree on anything but we actually have the same feelings on fighting. The only time we have argued about it were individual fights between players on our rival teams.

This topic came up on another site I post on

Remember the Red Wings/Avs rivalry. It was the most exciting thing hockey has seen in a decade.Especially when they met in the playoffs. Non hockey fans were all over this series. There is almost no chance of that happening again in this day and age.

mw2787

Mar 3, 2004
Possibly the reason for the late game being so low is that Vancouver, the largest Western city has only been featured on 2 of the first 7 Saturday nights. Just based on population this could effect numbers 18%. Over the course of the year it should even out with more Vancouver broadcasts.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
And you Americans don't care at all as you have since the NHL has existed.

You'd rather watch cars drive in circles for 3 hours. Fun.

Please, Nascar ratings are down all across the board. The Fad is over. What do you guys like in Sweden? ABBA?

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Are we going to discuss TV ratings or take shots at each other's countries? Because if it's going to be the latter, this thread doesn't have much longer to live.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Please, Nascar ratings are down all across the board. The Fad is over. What do you guys like in Sweden? ABBA?
Didn't they just open an ABBA museum?! lol...I can't help but find that hilarious!!! Of course I do own their greatest hits so hey if I'm ever there I'll visit. :D

Anyway...what's with all the country bashing? Is everyone on here 15 or something?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad