Hockey Quebec - Prefect Example of Old Boys Club

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
To quickly translate, Caroline Ouellette, Captain of Canada's Olympic hockey team, created a tournament for girls in Montreal. Young Catherine Birch, 12 years old, who plays High School hockey with the boys in the LHPS league, goes to tournament and wins player of the game in the finals. So Caroline Ouellette forms an all female team to go and play in the prestigious and world renowned Pee Wee Quebec Tournament, and of course includes Catherine on the team.

The "Old Boys" at Hockey Quebec refuse to let Catherine be part of the team because they won't sanction anyone playing High School hockey. Thus, Catherine is not allowed to play on the Pee Wee Quebec tournament. Hockey Quebec should be ashamed, and someone has to find a way to get these "Old Boys" out. Hockey Quebec doesn't want to sanction High School Leagues because they don't want to lose their top players to the more convenient, and frankly more advantageous for their education, High School league.

Hockey Quebec are penalizing a league (LHPS) where practices and many games are done during school hours, allowing kids more free time to do homework and get a better education. A league where you have to maintain discipline and grades to remain in the program, thus encouraging working hard at bettering your education. A league that allows kids to better transition to the High School life because they are immediately part of a team.

Shame on you, Hockey Quebec.

Here is the link, and it is entitled "Revolutionary Idea: What if we just let kids play hockey"

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
I coached one of the girls on that team. So proud of her.

If true it's shameful, but at the same time they aren't sanctioned by hockey Quebec.

She should sign up for city, would of easily played double letters this year and last year.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
You can't do both, so she chose High School hockey, my son also does High School hockey, and I prefer that to city. No reason for Hockey Quebec not to sanction it.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
With the QMJHL being the business it is, a High School League is too far-fetched. It won't work.

But I agree it would be much better.

I would like to see a 3-league system divided by regions. The 3 leagues would be Sec 1-2 , Sec 3-4 and Sec 5. Of course a Sec.1 kid who is too good could play with the older guys.

Each high school would have their own teams. This would only work if the QMJHL dissapeared though.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
The one problem I see here is money and budget. I remember when I was young my high school didn't have a contact football team, because buying the equipment was pretty expensive. Only 2-3 schools in my region had a football team.

Hockey is also a very expensive sport. The one thing with the QMJHL is that they might money off merchandise, ticket sales and sponsors. I do not think high school teams would be popular enough to make a lot of money.

Also, each high school would need a rink. It's a lot easier/cheaper to have a 100 yard field behind the school to play football than a to build a hockey rink...

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
please clarify this:

"Each high school would have their own teams. This would only work if the QMJHL dissapeared though."

How would highschool "replace" the QMJHL ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad