Hockey Prospectus Top 100 Prospects

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
When you use a statistic based system, it may change the status quo substantially, and it seems to have done just that.

The question becomes, how accurate is the result? We will know in a couple of years. Havs Hockey Prospectus released top 100 lists from the past? How have those fared?

As I recalled, he put Detroit as number 1 in his list, and this reflects that with guys at 16, 18, 23, 25 62 , 74 and 103 :P

Yes, that means that Detroit has 4 of the top 25 prospects in the league!

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
this list sucks..... nothing more to it.....I love Kabanov...but lets be honest with ourselves..... And Nino at 30 is :laugh:.......I think Ryan Johannson should be #1

And Runblad should be top 10 easy.....

Simon Despres is way too low....

I could go on.....

Nice to see Anders Lee on the list though....

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
You guys should check out the link talking about the corsi system, it does make things a little more logical. I'm not saying I agree with everything here though. Also it's obvious this list is based on different things than a regular list. Atleast there's a system that's being followed rather than just randomly putting guys in order. It's pretty hard to say which is better, say Gudbranson or Kuznetsov, because they play a totally different game.

Also I noticed that the list has favors individual skill combined with efficiency in the all-around game. It favors the value a player has on his team; notice top 9 players are centers, which is the most valuable position

Still, pretty shocked to see Granlund #1 and guys like Nino all the way down to #30

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Too High: Strome, Loktionov (WAY too high...), Erixon, Kabanov, Savard, Colborne, Grimaldi

Too Low: Rundblad, Nino, Hamilton, Landeskog, Dalpe, Ellis, Spooner, Despres, Cowen, Gardiner, Zucker

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
And Coyle.

This ranking prefers puck skills instead of physical abilities

Good call, and also Gudbranson at 64 (he's easily a top-20 prospect), Filatov at 40 (- about 15-20 spots), DaCosta at 46 (why is he even on this list?), Hodgson at 52 (I'd slot him just inside the top 40), Kreider at 70 (top-50), and I'd put Knight, Kassian, Blacker, Sheahan and Beck at various places inside the list.

The most egregious offense? Grimaldi ahead of draft-mates Landeskog, Hamilton and Armia. Did he grow five inches since late June?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Another list by Corey, and another list that I see some flaws in (in my opinion)

That's fine though, everyone sees things differently.

Thanks for taking the time to write this and post it Corey.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Hi.

Don't mind answering questions from people here, I'll get to as many as I can.

Cheers

Corey
Hey, I find your approach refreshing. Just wondering when you break up the skills for ranking if there is a weighted system as to which skills will represent more points at the next level. For a defensmen, for instance, I look for first pass and edgework opposed to a shot and straight away speed.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Hi.

Don't mind answering questions from people here, I'll get to as many as I can.

Cheers

Corey

I like different lists, thanks for putting this out there. I think ALOT of people here need to readup on what corsi rating is. Too many people here point stat stare and dont take in many other statistics.

Rhaego

May 18, 2011
Landeskog at 39? Holy underrating batman, is he not a top 10 prospect?

I didn't see Siemens either.... Damn the Avs missed on this draft :sarcasm:

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
For the Predators I really don't see how Ekholm(24) is ahead of both Ellis(49) and Josi(54)

i won't speak tot he temerity of the list (though I do like scientific metrics, rather than "it just seems like he'll be better" lists), but I personally believe Ekholm is our top defensive prospect above both Ellis and Josi, and would stack him up against nearly any other defensive prospect out there. 6'4, physical defensemen that skate like the wind and can work the puck don't grow on trees. Winning SEL rookie of the year is just a feather in his cap. Look for him to beat out Ellis and Josi for the vacant defensive spot in Nashville this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad