Rumor: Hockey Press reporting talks on both Backes and Shatty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Shattenkirk should only be traded NOW if he's already signaled that he's going to explore FA and cash in. If he's traded, it should be a massive OP.....I'm looking at you Edmonton

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Have these people ever broken a trade before? I'm not asking to be snarky, I truly don't know. I usually tune it out unless someone like JR starts talking about it because it basically never comes to fruition, though I thought it might earlier when even JR was jumping in on the action.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Have these people ever broken a trade before? I'm not asking to be snarky, I truly don't know. I usually tune it out unless someone like JR starts talking about it because it basically never comes to fruition, though I thought it might earlier when even JR was jumping in on the action.

They have no credibility.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

Part of the reason I made my above post was because I thought the return of Schenn or Gudas was a major discredit to the rumor. Then I remember Army's trade history. All I can do is throw my hands up.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I actually wouldn't mind Backes for Schenn + Gudas. Backes is a huge piece for this team, but he only as one year left, a year I doubt we have a shot at the Cup. If we aren't looking to resign him, the sooner we trade him, the more we get. Schenn is a 23, and while his contract will be up, he will be a RFA, so we can still leverage some asset out of him if we can't re-sign him. Armstrong is actually good at signing RFAs too. He was just shy of 50 points this season and poised to get better. He is no slouch defensively either. He's not Backes' level in that regard but few if any are. Plus he is fast, which we all wanted more fast guys. Then Gudas is a physical defender who punishes people. Not sure where he would fit in, but that would be nice to have somewhere in our D. It would basically be getting the best we could out of losing an asset. We get a faster, more play-making center with defensive upside. Given other trades made, this would be far from terrible.

Also, a third line of Berglund-Schenn-Brouwer works a bit better than with Backes as there is at least one guy with speed and a more traditional shooter-playmaker-PWF setup.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I actually wouldn't mind Backes for Schenn + Gudas. Backes is a huge piece for this team, but he only as one year left, a year I doubt we have a shot at the Cup. If we aren't looking to resign him, the sooner we trade him, the more we get. Schenn is a 23, and while his contract will be up, he will be a RFA, so we can still leverage some asset out of him if we can't re-sign him. Armstrong is actually good at signing RFAs too. He was just shy of 50 points this season and poised to get better. He is no slouch defensively either. He's not Backes' level in that regard but few if any are. Plus he is fast, which we all wanted more fast guys. Then Gudas is a physical defender who punishes people. Not sure where he would fit in, but that would be nice to have somewhere in our D. It would basically be getting the best we could out of losing an asset. We get a faster, more play-making center with defensive upside. Given other trades made, this would be far from terrible.

Also, a third line of Berglund-Schenn-Brouwer works a bit better than with Backes as there is at least one guy with speed and a more traditional shooter-playmaker-PWF setup.

Yeah it wouldn't be terrible. For some reason I was thinking about Luke.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Obviously both rumors are just that - rumors - and not particularly believable ones at that. Still, if Backes and his agent are signaling that he is going to test free agency or his expectations are way out of our price range, getting a player like Brayden Schenn back for the last year of Backes' contract would be a good deal. Adding Gudas to the return would also make sense IF there is also a Shattenkirk deal as he could fill the #4 role on the right side until Schmaltz or Parayko are ready to step in, but our PP would certainly pay the price.

Still, nothing is different this time around about the necessary return in any deal involving Shattenkirk. If he is being dealt, we absolutely must get something back in the deal that we need and don't already have.

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City
One thing these rumors rarely make clear is: is Army actually shopping these players or is it just a case of gm's calling around the league to inquire about players X, Y, and Z?

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013

Probably not...won't be posting anything from them again.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The Blues should be exploring talks for Backes given his situation. A deal around a guy like Schenn would be fine.

However, Armstrong negotiating a deal for Shattenkirk scares the **** out of me. If he goes, we better get a huge return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad