OT: Hockey Pool Ideas

JonathanK

McOptimistic
Aug 1, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I'm hosting a salary cap pool at my place in a couple of days and am looking for some suggestions to add to the experience. Figured HF could be the place to look.

1) What is a fun, yet still random way to determine draft order?

2) What is a good amount of time for someone to be "on the clock"?

3) I have uploaded a spreadsheet I made with every player's stats and cap hit next to their name. Feel free to use it if you'd like. Beware that there may be errors. Some things regarding the spreadsheet:

a) Are there any features that I could add to this sheet to make it more functional / user friendly? Currently you just copy and paste the player and his cap hit into the desired slot. If you are an excel nerd (or just have good ideas) I am definitely open to suggestions.

b) If there are any glaring errors you notice while looking at it please give me a heads up. I just copied and pasted everything and did a vlookup for the cap hits so there could very well be errors. If a player was bought out and resigned I just used his new cap hit, if a player was traded and salary was retained I used his entire cap hit. All numbers are from nhlnumbers.com and I included notable rookies at the bottom of each list.

c) I am going to HDMI this spreadsheet from my laptop to a big screen TV. I printed off sheets for everyone to keep track of their picks and told people to bring their laptops to follow along if possible. Can you think of anything else I could do to make things easier? Typically for playoff drafts I just print off team lists and tape them to a wall in the shape of a playoff tree... would it make sense to do something similar to that? I want a system where people can clearly see if someone has been selected without constantly asking me to check the spreadsheet or having to ask everyone else who is drafting.

Thanks everyone! :)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad