Hockey player ordered to pay 700k for hit (beer league)

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
Ya I figured. Especially when you said you were out of towner.

Not that anyone wants an injury to happen to you, but old guys hate showboats in beer hockey.

They don't have the legs to skate with you and shut you down, but they have plenty of savvy to time a big hit when your being a knob and not expecting it.

Good rule of thumb for any young kids finishing amateur and entering old man hockey, it's not a safe place where everyone is impressed with how good you are. It's filled with a bunch of guys who don't think it's respectable to play like a superstar and lunatics looking for free chances to take out their frustrations.

Yeah I get the unwritten rule stuff.

But if you're going to try to take my head off come at me with a legal hit. Don't try to kill me with a check I can't see coming.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

dig1

Mar 1, 2015
This thread dredged up some latent anger inside of me.

Many years ago, when I was 17, a 30 year old blindsided me with a check in a non-checking friendly game. He came from the back; I have good vision and I didn't see him coming at all. I almost lost consciousness.

I didn't know much about concussions then but I realize now I had concussion symptoms for months after that - headaches, fatigue, depression. The worst? I saw him laughing as I was being helped off the ice.

I never encountered him again; the game wasn't in my home town. I went on an invite from a friend. I wish I would have seen him again.
don't worry. he's most probably one of the many douches and tools here that think playoffs is nothing without someone blind cocking a player like Wilson does every year in the playoff and then praises the NHL for only disciplining a player for the minimum 2 games( you know because the victim walked it off)

NHL1995

Dec 9, 2019
This thread dredged up some latent anger inside of me.

Many years ago, when I was 17, a 30 year old blindsided me with a check in a non-checking friendly game. He came from the back; I have good vision and I didn't see him coming at all. I almost lost consciousness.

I didn't know much about concussions then but I realize now I had concussion symptoms for months after that - headaches, fatigue, depression. The worst? I saw him laughing as I was being helped off the ice.

I never encountered him again; the game wasn't in my home town. I went on an invite from a friend. I wish I would have seen him again.

I know this post won't be very popular here.

I have only ever played in a non-contact league. That is no hitting, no cross-checking, no hooking, etc. The organizer really doesn't want anyone getting hurt which is why our league has so many players.

You have to rely on speed, having an active stick, positioning, knowing the players and anticipating the play to defend. It always gets very competitive but it's always fun.

If anyone were to hit like how you mentioned, the organizer would simply ban them from coming back again(The organizer plays every game with us so he sees every play).

I have been hit a couple of times by accident though (because of the high speeds we play the game). The first time I got hit was pretty hard and I went flying and had a strong whiplash (I had no idea I was about to be hit). After that, I got way more respect for players who take hits every game.

The nice part is if anyone gets hurt, we stop the whole game and let the person get some help. So it is possible for you to have fun without contact.

Not surprisingly, skill and speed dominate these games and the scores are always high, even with excellent goaltending.

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
All the beer leagues I've ever played in, are non contact anyways, so if your intent is to go hit someone in a non hitting beer league and you injure someone because of it, you deserve to pay up. This isn't the AHL or NHL, this is a beer league where people have everyday jobs and bills to pay and families to take care of, they're here to have some fun because they love the game still not because they're trying to make it to the bigs still. Know your rules before stepping on the ice, and if you want hitting then put your big boy pants on and go try out for a professional team, good luck with that :laugh:

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
While I understand what you are saying what goes in a hockey game doesn't necessarily go on the streets in terms of legal consequences was the meaning behind that

Oh ok, that’s fair. You’re correct about that. I just think the line needs to be drawn somewhere. Hits and fighting that would otherwise be considered assault in real life are an accepted and established part of the sport, but intentionally trying to cause harm to somebody on the ice through a play that is clearly non-hockey related should have the potential for legal consequences, at least IMO.

Sep 19, 2008
Am I the only one in this sub who's actually played organized hockey before?

Like half of the comments I've seen on this sub are so obviously written by non-athletes that it's almost humorous.

When I was in high school (3 year starter for our varsity hockey team) I would get a full-on sprint going and clock the **** outta whoever had the puck. My coaches called me "speedhawk" as a nickname caus I had such a nose for the puck and for those three seasons I was considered the most feared right winger in our conference. Senior year I led my team to the state semifinals only to get ****ed over by the refs in the 3rd but that's another conversation (DM me if you're interested in hearing about it)

So, yeah. I hope yall can understand why I feel like their's such a big disconnect between myself and your typical poster. Please tell me I'm not the only one who feels this way lol

Sep 19, 2008
Let’s start a Lounge Justin League and get retribution on those who have hurt our brothers.

I nominate Roman Fell to be the Imperial Grand Wizard of this here Clan.
Speedhawk reporting in

Blindside everyone like jackass Warren foegel

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Any law experts here:

Does this case have a chance of setting a precedent of sorts in the professional ranks? OHL, AHL, or even the NHL?
Doubtful. Assumption of risk is inherent in professional contact sports and presumably written into every contract just for good measure.

But I wouldn't call myself an expert. I haven't even read the current CBA. Could be provisions against criminal/civil liability exist there too.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Am I the only one in this sub who's actually played organized hockey before?

Like half of the comments I've seen on this sub are so obviously written by non-athletes that it's almost humorous.

When I was in high school (3 year starter for our varsity hockey team) I would get a full-on sprint going and clock the **** outta whoever had the puck. My coaches called me "speedhawk" as a nickname caus I had such a nose for the puck and for those three seasons I was considered the most feared right winger in our conference. Senior year I led my team to the state semifinals only to get ****ed over by the refs in the 3rd but that's another conversation (DM me if you're interested in hearing about it)

So, yeah. I hope yall can understand why I feel like their's such a big disconnect between myself and your typical poster. Please tell me I'm not the only one who feels this way lol

Lol is this a real post?

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I blindside clocked this asshole in beer league one time, he and his friend were on MY ice showboating. had it comin. The guy was babbling on the ice incoherently after like a toddler or somethin. Had a good laugh at it. This ain't the NHL, you showboat you pay. Wish I could see that guy again and ask him if he's still eating from a straw lmao.

Reactions: deepdark

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad