Hockey player ordered to pay 700k for hit (beer league)

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Something tells me it was extremely malicious and not just a hockey play but journalism is dogshit nowadays.

Yep...

HIT WAS RETALIATION

In her decision last month, Kehoe said MacIsaac had tracked Casterton and hit him with a "full-force blindside body and head shot," then skated by the other team's bench and said it was retaliation for a trip that had happened seconds before.
The judge told the court the hit fell outside the implied consent that a player might be hurt playing a sport, even in a non-contact league.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/gordon-macisaac-sentencing-hockey-aggravated-assault-1.4123357

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Any law experts here:

Does this case have a chance of setting a precedent of sorts in the professional ranks? OHL, AHL, or even the NHL?

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Something tells me it was extremely malicious and not just a hockey play but journalism is dog**** nowadays.

Yep...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/gordon-macisaac-sentencing-hockey-aggravated-assault-1.4123357

Yep. You are right about journalism nowadays.

For example, just watch the video in the Op and watch Crosby run into Dave Steckel as a supposed example of headshots that need to be taken out of the game.

Terrible journalism and a completely false narrative.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Here is the general breakdown in terms of how that total was calculated:

"His symptoms limit his ability to work and have otherwise had a profound impact on his life. His condition will likely never improve. He is entitled to $63,000 in general damages, $199,512 in past lost income, and $440,039 in future income loss as of June 20, 2019."

The full decision is
here: 2020 ONSC 190 (CanLII) | CanLII

Reactions: cptjeff

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Too many idiots out there think that the law doesn't apply anymore once they step onto a hockey rink.

This completely

In adult sports it seems there’s a jerk off on nearly every team that doesn’t get that we’re all just there for fun and have to go to work on Monday

Hopefully a judgement like this gives some of these guys a little pause for thought, tho I doubt it

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yep. You are right about journalism nowadays.

For example, just watch the video in the Op and watch Crosby run into Dave Steckel as a supposed example of headshots that need to be taken out of the game.

Terrible journalism and a completely false narrative.
Actually that part was accurate. Also Ted Leonsis once strangled a fan.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Would be nice if there was some video of it.

Guy obviously got Rink Rage and lost it.

Might sound unsympathetic but I wonder if he really can’t work anymore and is truly disabled or if he’s taking advantage of a situation. Because he got a lot of future compensation.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
People take beer league way too seriously. A guy in our league got suspended for a long ass time for kicking one of my teammates with his skate blade. My teammate was okay, the offender was unsuccessful in his attempt to injure, but the intent behind it is horrifying. The NHL is a product and so I can understand a little bit of violence, but frankly I'd be okay if Hockey Canada wanted rec leagues to start charging some of the more heinous acts with criminal charges. A lifetime ban from a league isn't nearly enough if that kick severs an achilles tendon, or heaven forbid, an artery. Criminal and civil liability like in this case makes sense.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
This thread dredged up some latent anger inside of me.

Many years ago, when I was 17, a 30 year old blindsided me with a check in a non-checking friendly game. He came from the back; I have good vision and I didn't see him coming at all. I almost lost consciousness.

I didn't know much about concussions then but I realize now I had concussion symptoms for months after that - headaches, fatigue, depression. The worst? I saw him laughing as I was being helped off the ice.

I never encountered him again; the game wasn't in my home town. I went on an invite from a friend. I wish I would have seen him again.

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh

Many years ago, when I was 17, a 30 year old blindsided me with a check in a non-checking friendly game. He came from the back; I have good vision and I didn't see him coming at all. I almost lost consciousness.

I didn't know much about concussions then but I realize now I had concussion symptoms for months after that - headaches, fatigue, depression. The worst? I saw him laughing as I was being helped off the ice.

I never encountered him again; the game wasn't in my home town. I went on an invite from a friend. I wish I would have seen him again.

Same thing happened to me. I stopped playing because of it. It is not worth it.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Just out of curiosity was the guy a pure ahole trying to hurt you for no reason, or was the game out of hand? Or were you showboating as the young kid against the old guys.

I feel like most jerks take their shots when they think people are embarrassing them.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
Just out of curiosity was the guy a pure ahole trying to hurt you for no reason, or was the game out of hand? Or were you showboating as the young kid against the old guys.

I feel like most jerks take their shots when they think people are embarrassing them.

Yes my friend and I were jacking around a bit. But absolutely nothing malicious.

If they had a problem they could have told us to calm down. We were good kids. We could have apologized and complied.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

I was playing a low div ball hockey game once and went to the front of the net.

Some dude gave me 3 or 4 crosshecks on my bqck before I lost it. Didn't do anything stupid but I wanted to take his head off.

Who the f*** starts crosschecking when no one is wearing equipment on a monday night low div ball hockey game.

I feel you, you got it much worse. These people need to be fed their lunch.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Yes my friend and I were jacking around a bit. But absolutely nothing malicious.

If they had a problem they could have told us to calm down. We were good kids. We could have apologized and complied.

Ya I figured. Especially when you said you were out of towner.

Not that anyone wants an injury to happen to you, but old guys hate showboats in beer hockey.

They don't have the legs to skate with you and shut you down, but they have plenty of savvy to time a big hit when your being a knob and not expecting it.

Good rule of thumb for any young kids finishing amateur and entering old man hockey, it's not a safe place where everyone is impressed with how good you are. It's filled with a bunch of guys who don't think it's respectable to play like a superstar and lunatics looking for free chances to take out their frustrations.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I was playing a low div ball hockey game once and went to the front of the net.

Some dude gave me 3 or 4 crosshecks on my bqck before I lost it. Didn't do anything stupid but I wanted to take his head off.

Who the **** starts crosschecking when no one is wearing equipment on a monday night low div ball hockey game.

I feel you, you got it much worse. These people need to be fed their lunch.

I always find the floor/ball hockey guys to be the funniest nut jobs. This is a gym class game fellas. Course, we Americans don't have the serious ball hockey leagues like Canda does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->