Hockey Night In Canada

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com
Classic Games

I see that HNIC are showing classic games on sunday night monday morning around 12:30am. next week there are going to show Don Cherry's last game as coach of the boston bruins in game 7 of the playoffs in 1979 at the montreal forum.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
I loved the "Showdown '75" & "'76" that was on during the intermissions. I had never even heard of Simon Nolet until he was on this! And Danny Grant was amazingly accurate as a shooter.

I used to get both CBC and the French version of HNiC on cable. It was fun to switch back and forth (even though I don't speak French), just to hear the game in a foreign language. And those cool blue blazers? WOW! Stylin'!

I miss Brian McFarlane and Dave Hodge. Get rid of Cherry and bring back the Showdown during the intermissions.

I was watching Sittler's 10-point game in my parent's house, and was running around with a floor hockey stick and foam puck at the time. Tore up a lot of carpet in the house on Saturday nights! A Tombstone pizza, some Mountain Dew, and HNiC on Saturday night pretty well describes my youth from age 6 until 25 or so. And I still watch the end of the second game, After Hours, and the replay of the first game (sometimes) after attending other local hockey games on Saturdays.

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
I agree -- HNIC has become more of a popular show rather then being informative.

I like Craig Simpson. I think he should be implemented in the scheme of things.

Don Cherry still provides his opinions but I Guess people think he's still entertaining.

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com
Hnic

One of the hilites watching HNIC today is watching coach's corner.i have always been a fan of don cherry and i like the fact that he will say whats on his mind and i like that.as far as showdown in the NHL i have been told that all of those from back in the 1970s are still around in some vault somehere along with those peter puck segments that were on the intermissions back then.you can still find videos of hockey games from the 1970s floating around the web for sale that has showdown in the NHL on the videos.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
It seems hard to believe now, but the games used to be joined in progress. We missed the first half hour while another Canadian classic was on air, Don Messer's Jubilee. I can remember that you always hoped that nobody scored during that half hour so you wouldn't miss anything. :)

Ogopogo*

I remember the day Dave Hodge was canned.

Back before the work stoppage of 1994, HNIC showed a single game at 8pm Eastern time. Back in 1986 or 1987, one night the feature game ended and another game - Philadelphia @ Montreal - was about to go into OT at about 3 minutes before sign off. Hodge wanted to go to the OT but the network said no, they wanted to move to the next program. Hodge flipped a pen in the air and said "I guess that's the way we do things around here..."

He was ****canned immediately. It was great news for Ron MacLean.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
I used to get both CBC and the French version of HNiC on cable. It was fun to switch back and forth (even though I don't speak French), just to hear the game in a foreign language.

Rene Lecavalier was great, one of the best broadcasting voices I've ever heard (maybe the best).

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com
I remember the day Dave Hodge was canned.

Back before the work stoppage of 1994, HNIC showed a single game at 8pm Eastern time. Back in 1986 or 1987, one night the feature game ended and another game - Philadelphia @ Montreal - was about to go into OT at about 3 minutes before sign off. Hodge wanted to go to the OT but the network said no, they wanted to move to the next program. Hodge flipped a pen in the air and said "I guess that's the way we do things around here..."

He was ****canned immediately. It was great news for Ron MacLean.
I remmber this very well but i was not home for that game so i taped the game that night.i always liked Dave Hodge and still to this day think that he should never have been fired for that.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
What about Danny Gallivan. there was nothing like watching the montreal canadiens on a saturday night with danny gallivan and dick irvin doing the games from the montreal forum.

He was equally great as was Foster Hewitt.

Loved those 'cannonating' shots.

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com
Hnic

It seems hard to believe now, but the games used to be joined in progress. We missed the first half hour while another Canadian classic was on air, Don Messer's Jubilee. I can remember that you always hoped that nobody scored during that half hour so you wouldn't miss anything. :)

You are right about this. but i will say this that HNIC games from around 1957 to around 1971 still exsist today.and they have been shown on the leaf channel in the past couple of years.but alot of those early games that were joined in progress were taped or kinescoped from the begining.i have seen games on VHS or DVD that you can hear when the tv broadcast would begin. now they say that games from around 1972 up to around 1979 dont exsist anymore because someone erased them.you can bet in a few years you will hear from the network look what we found, i am sure that they have those games stored in a vault somewhere.

AltaHab

Mar 5, 2004
Sylvan Lake
I loved the "Showdown '75" & "'76" that was on during the intermissions. I had never even heard of Simon Nolet until he was on this! And Danny Grant was amazingly accurate as a shooter.

I remember those, we use to reinact those playing boot hockey at school. Wasn't there a Peter Puck segment as well? Still remember the Dave Hodge "pen flip" like yesterday.

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com
Hnic

I remember those, we use to reinact those playing boot hockey at school. Wasn't there a Peter Puck segment as well? Still remember the Dave Hodge "pen flip" like yesterday.

I was told by a friend who has seen a list of the games and other items that HNIC or Molstar or what ever they are called today still have in there vaults. and was told that all of those showdown intermission features still exsist today.and as far as peter puck Brian McFarlane still has those cartoons today and he owns the rights to them.You can still find out there on the web people selling old hockey games on video and there are some games out there that still have the showdown feature on the video. I wish that Howie Meeker would put out on DVD today his hockey teaching shows that use to be on saturdays on channel 9 in windsor back in the 1970s.i got to meet Howie Meeker a couple of years ago and got his autograph. i asked him about those hockey teaching shows and he said that he still has those shows today, so maybe on day they will be out on video or DVD.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
I didn't think that Howie Meeker could air those shows again because of certain 'rights' issues at the CBC, the original carrier. Not all the showdowns exist as the earlier ones from the mid-70's are missing.

I wish you were right about a network coming up with those games from the 70's but I really think that is doubtful at this point.

You are right about the games that were aired in progress, the non-televised parts were filmed and kept.

I wonder how your friend saw the list of games that are in the 'vaults'.

I was told by a friend who has seen a list of the games and other items that HNIC or Molstar or what ever they are called today still have in there vaults. and was told that all of those showdown intermission features still exsist today.and as far as peter puck Brian McFarlane still has those cartoons today and he owns the rights to them.You can still find out there on the web people selling old hockey games on video and there are some games out there that still have the showdown feature on the video. I wish that Howie Meeker would put out on DVD today his hockey teaching shows that use to be on saturdays on channel 9 in windsor back in the 1970s.i got to meet Howie Meeker a couple of years ago and got his autograph. i asked him about those hockey teaching shows and he said that he still has those shows today, so maybe on day they will be out on video or DVD.

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com
I didn't think that Howie Meeker could air those shows again because of certain 'rights' issues at the CBC, the original carrier. Not all the showdowns exist as the earlier ones from the mid-70's are missing.

I wish you were right about a network coming up with those games from the 70's but I really think that is doubtful at this point.

You are right about the games that were aired in progress, the non-televised parts were filmed and kept.

I wonder how your friend saw the list of games that are in the 'vaults'.
My friend knows someone in ontario canada that worked with the leaf channel and i guess he got a copy of the list of games from him.but i was told that all of the showdowns did exsist.at least that is what i was told by him.i was also told that there are a couple of Kansas City Scouts games against Montreal that still exsist wether that is true or not i dont know.
are the leaf channel still showing the old games. they do have alot of games that toronto lost that they can show also.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Then I guess this friend of yours knows me somehow but he wouldn't have any access to the entire lists of the Molsons collection of games. He might just have a list of all the Classic games that have been shown on Leafs TV.

There are no Kansas City Scouts games against Montreal that exist, unfortunately.

Leafs TV will hopefully show a handful of new classic games next year - assuming they get edited.

Sure, there are plenty of games from the 80's that exist that the Leafs lost -but they wouldn't be what you would call 'classics'.

My friend knows someone in ontario canada that worked with the leaf channel and i guess he got a copy of the list of games from him.but i was told that all of the showdowns did exsist.at least that is what i was told by him.i was also told that there are a couple of Kansas City Scouts games against Montreal that still exsist wether that is true or not i dont know.
are the leaf channel still showing the old games. they do have alot of games that toronto lost that they can show also.

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com
Hnic

Then I guess this friend of yours knows me somehow but he wouldn't have any access to the entire lists of the Molsons collection of games. He might just have a list of all the Classic games that have been shown on Leafs TV.

There are no Kansas City Scouts games against Montreal that exist, unfortunately.

Leafs TV will hopefully show a handful of new classic games next year - assuming they get edited.

Sure, there are plenty of games from the 80's that exist that the Leafs lost -but they wouldn't be what you would call 'classics'.

I am not talking about leaf games from the 1980s i am talking about leaf games that they lost in the 1960s that do exsist.and they have those games from around 1957 up to around 1971. so there are alot more games in the 1960s that have not been shown just because of the leafs losing.i was also told that we have to thank Brian McFarlane for these games. i was told that he kept copys of these for years.
And i was also told that there is a complete playoff game from the old madison square garden that still exsists today. maybe one day hockey fans will get the chance to see a game on video from the old MSG that was torn down in 1968.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
I think you've been told a few things that aren't exactly accurate.

First of all, its not a simple process in acquiring the games to show. Leafs TV doesn't own them and they have to pay a lot of money to air them.

Secondly, there is no real effort to avoid games that the Leafs lose. There are plenty of games shown where the Leafs lost. But realistically, a significant game that the Leafs won tells a better story and gets much more interesting comments from the guest.

You should also know that there are games from the 60's that couldn't be shown because parts were missing or goals were cut out or were just games that weren't meaningful at all. If you have specific games that you think that Leafs TV is avoiding, please let me know.

That game you are referring to from MSG from the 1962 semis is not complete.

Brian McFarlane didn't 'keep' the games for all those years - its a tremendously complicated story.

You are making erroneous assumptions based on information that isn't complete or accurate.

But glad to hear that you like watching the classic games.

Let me know what games you think are purposely not shown and you would like to see.

I am not talking about leaf games from the 1980s i am talking about leaf games that they lost in the 1960s that do exsist.and they have those games from around 1957 up to around 1971. so there are alot more games in the 1960s that have not been shown just because of the leafs losing.i was also told that we have to thank Brian McFarlane for these games. i was told that he kept copys of these for years.
And i was also told that there is a complete playoff game from the old madison square garden that still exsists today. maybe one day hockey fans will get the chance to see a game on video from the old MSG that was torn down in 1968.

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com
Hnic

I think you've been told a few things that aren't exactly accurate.

First of all, its not a simple process in acquiring the games to show. Leafs TV doesn't own them and they have to pay a lot of money to air them.

Secondly, there is no real effort to avoid games that the Leafs lose. There are plenty of games shown where the Leafs lost. But realistically, a significant game that the Leafs won tells a better story and gets much more interesting comments from the guest.

You should also know that there are games from the 60's that couldn't be shown because parts were missing or goals were cut out or were just games that weren't meaningful at all. If you have specific games that you think that Leafs TV is avoiding, please let me know.

That game you are referring to from MSG from the 1962 semis is not complete.

Brian McFarlane didn't 'keep' the games for all those years - its a tremendously complicated story.

You are making erroneous assumptions based on information that isn't complete or accurate.

But glad to hear that you like watching the classic games.

Let me know what games you think are purposely not shown and you would like to see.

As far as the playoff game from the old MSG i talked to the person on the phone one time and was told that there was a complete game from the old MSG and was also told that there was a partial game from the old MSG.as far as Brian McFarlane i was told that he had someone store those games for him for a few years.and the person i talked to on the phone told me that there was always a chance down the road that the game from the old MSG could be shown on the Leaf channel.
I can remmber back in 1986 i called Molstar or what ever they were called at that time and asked them if they had any playoff games from the old olympia stadium in detroit. the person i talked to on the phone lied to me just to get me off of the phone and said that the only game they had was the game 7 from 1978 when toronto beat the new york islanders with Lanny McDonald s goal.
Now in later years i have acquired copys of games from the olympia stadium in detroit from the 1963, 1964 stanley cup finals and some playoff games with chicago playing detroit at the olympia stadium in the 1965 playoffs
It would be nice to see more detroit vs toronto games from the 1960s that detroit won.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I've always wished classic old games were more available to the general public. There's tons of games you read about and wish you could see even just highlights from but can't because they're locked in a vault or just plain don't exist. It's crazy to think that tapes of games were just erased, but I guess back then they didn't think people decades into the future would be interested. I've heard that the footage of the first two Super Bowls was erased :shakehead

I'm curious, how far back does video footage of complete games, or at least segments of games go? Which is the most recent Stanley Cup deciding game that there isn't film of? Which is the earliest that there is? I believe I've read that the first televised game was from MSG and televised in the NYC area in about 1940. Does this tape still exists today?

With the advent of DVDs and digital remastering with computers, etc. I hope will we eventually see more games released as DVDs to the public. It seems that a lot of the classic games that get shown on CBC or other networks are stuff that you've already seen because they're commonly shown. CBC's airing some classic games throughout the playoffs over the next month, but I've already seen Bruins-Habs '79 and Leafs-Kings '93 for example, and so have lots of other people. I'm not saying they shouldn't be re-shown, but I'd like some less common games as well. Say, Bruins-Blues '70. We've all seen Orr soaring through the air, but I've never seen one second of any other part of that game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->