Hockey mom wants daughter allowed in boys' change room

Status
Not open for further replies.

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
I've never played anywhere where it was common for the whole team to take showers but I've played hockey with girls since I was 12 or so... if no one is getting completely naked than it's not a big deal. I think most girls understand that by going into a hockey locker room, there is going to be language that will be a little dirty or crude.

All of the girls that I've played with just went into the women's restroom to put on their sports bra and shorts and to change after. No big deal.

Some of them were hot too.. but out of respect you don't stare.

QuickDynamite

Jul 3, 2004
Abu Dhabi
I said yes, but for all the wrong reasons.

It goes both ways. If a girl is allowed to change in the boys locker room a guy should be able to change in the girls locker room.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
chapel113x said:
I said yes, but for all the wrong reasons.

It goes both ways. If a girl is allowed to change in the boys locker room a guy should be able to change in the girls locker room.
If he's in a similar situation, I wouldn't be against that. The problem with your scenario is, though, it's much more rare for a lone guy to be on a team of girls than it is for a lone girl to be on a team of guys. But if the situation arose, sure he should be allowed in.

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
Kritter471 said:
If he's in a similar situation, I wouldn't be against that. The problem with your scenario is, though, it's much more rare for a lone guy to be on a team of girls than it is for a lone girl to be on a team of guys. But if the situation arose, sure he should be allowed in.

They wouldn't let him in. I (and others in the same power skating/hockey drills class as me) had to wait while this girl changed in the changeroom. Her mother wouldn't let us in, we were all late for class and did laps. UNFAIR.

Master Shake*

canadahockeygirl said:
I think you guys need to get out of the 1950's.

As long as I can remember, I've changed in the same locker rooms with guys. They've always walked around however they wanted, said whatever they've said and it's never been a big deal for me or any other female I know that grew up playing guys hockey OR the guys we've played with. It's no more a liability than if she were to change in a locker room with girls.

I say fine but only if guys can change in the womens lockeroom. Especially with the female figure skaters in there.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
MS and Skittles, those are differnt situations. You're not teammates with the girl(s) (at least, I'm assuming you weren't, Skittles) so there's a different level here.

I'll change in a locker room full of guys I'm in class with or for a stick-and-puck or drop in session. But if one of them asks me to leave? I'd probably do it, assuming there's another adequate changing area. In a team setting, though, you're missing out on a lot of the things that make a team a team, and I'd probably do what I could to make it easiest on the guys (showering seperately, changing into my shorts and sports bra with my back to the wall or in the bathroom), but I would do that more readily than leave.

And Skittles, you're getting at the part of this - often, it's the parents that cause more problems by wanting isolation of their precious Suzie/Billy while the kids are much more flexible.

OilerNut*

Man when I started this thread, I didn't expect to get all these replies. A sensitive issue I guess. :biglaugh:

Hawkeye8

Aug 2, 2002
San Pablo, CA
A couple of years ago we had a girl on our team and she changed for the most part in the locker room, if she or anyone else needed to change to the point of nudity, they would just go the restroom. We all got a long and we all acted basically the same as when she wasn't there. There really isn't that big of an issue as long as everyone can act appropriate and get a long, which they mostly likely have the ability to do.

knittingonskates

Apr 8, 2005
Qld, Australia
I play as the only girl on a district rep under 16 team as the goal keeper, and last year after busting my ass off to get to the state titles I get to the competition and both teams are in the change rooms, getting changed (no one gets naked *shrugs* boxer's sports bra's undies that's all) and acting like we always have. We're teenagers we act stupid but never have they made me feel uncomfortable, generally they have a slight amount of decently. I busted my ass off trainng 4 times a week ( a hell of a lot for a player here in australia) and an offical comes in and says that i'm not allowed in with my team prior to games.

To work that hard and then to be told you are not allowed to be part of your team simply because you're a girl is a tough blow to handle. We were uot classed at that tournament but my mental aspect on the game was totalyl blown.

It's not easy being a girl trying to play the sport here. (inline not ice . ice here? haha) we not only don't have the number's to field a state team in under 17 (5 girls in the state) those that are good enough to play certain mixed division are continously overlooked because of our constant different treatement.

*shrugs* my opinion. but yeah. girls and guys in hockey. will laways be a contentious issues.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Aug 12, 2002
sec17 said:
Here's a true story from Massachusetts. A couple of great big boys, football linebackers, decided to stay in shape in the off-season by taking up hockey - field hockey. Girls' field hockey. They tried to join their school's field hockey team, and were disallowed from joining because of being male. So they sued under Title IX and won - no sex discrimination allowed, and if a sport isn't offered in both boys and girls, the minority gender has to be allowed to play. As a result, they were allowed to change with the girls, to be on the field (220-lb boys and 120-lb girls don't mesh well if they hit each other). They caused several injuries in hitting girls and drove a lot of the girls to quit the team.

And what's wrong with this story? Absolutely nothing, if you subscribe to the idea that a 14-year-old girl should be allowed to change in the boys change room.

Either have it both ways or don't have it, but you can't have it one way and not the other.

:handclap:

canadahockeygirl*

sec17 said:
Here's a true story from Massachusetts. A couple of great big boys, football linebackers, decided to stay in shape in the off-season by taking up hockey - field hockey. Girls' field hockey. They tried to join their school's field hockey team, and were disallowed from joining because of being male. So they sued under Title IX and won - no sex discrimination allowed, and if a sport isn't offered in both boys and girls, the minority gender has to be allowed to play. As a result, they were allowed to change with the girls, to be on the field (220-lb boys and 120-lb girls don't mesh well if they hit each other). They caused several injuries in hitting girls and drove a lot of the girls to quit the team.

And what's wrong with this story? Absolutely nothing, if you subscribe to the idea that a 14-year-old girl should be allowed to change in the boys change room.

Either have it both ways or don't have it, but you can't have it one way and not the other.
What do I think is wrong with the story? The validity. Field hockey and football in Massachusetts are both fall sports-- one is not the "off-season" for another. Perhaps it was another "M" state? I've been involved with coaching HS field hockey in MA for a few years (this will be my first that I'm not helping coach in some capacity), so you'd think it would come up at a meeting somewhere... Not fully negating it since anything is possible, but I do wonder how valid it is.

My HS in Mass. is somewhat of an exception because it wasn't public, but we let guys play on our team for one season. Most guys don't want to play a prissy girls sport like field hockey, but when the opportunity came up, the administration delivered. We had a few German boys who were VERY good at field hockey and they were able to join up with us until they got their boys' field hockey club up and running. Where they changed was never an issue since my HS had more than adequate facilities for both genders when we were at home. Your team meeting was always on the field, not the locker room. Even on the bus if they had to change, it wasn't an issue. None of the girls on my team ever had an issue with the guys since they knew what they were doing and played as well as (if not better than) we did.

Also, with field hockey, there should not be any outlandish body contact and people getting knocked out or injured UNLESS the coach isn't doing their job by teaching proper skill and technique to these burly boys. It can be a very physical sport (I have the yellow cards to prove it), but in all honesty, there is no reason for injuries like that, especially to their own teammates.

Another point I forgot-- most MA public schools (actually, if any do, it's one or two) do not have their own rinks and have to use state facilities for hockey. For other sports, the school is equipped with a boys locker room and a girls locker room, with their home fields right behind the school and no meeting rooms inside the locker room. There is no real need for a guy to be in a girls' locker room for a sport like field hockey or soccer, especially when all team meetings happen on the field or in a classroom. A hockey locker room is completley different.

Last edited by a moderator:

berney fkaj

Sep 21, 2003
Around
I had girls on my teams before, and what we did was the girl(s) were in before game, then went into a different to do personally stuff, and allow the boys to do personally stuff. And once boys and girls were all dressed properly (fully clothed) they could continue getting dress together...Seams like a lot of work, but the bonding time of a dressing room, and listing to the coach talk, are very important.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
OilerNut said:
http://www.canada.com/ottawa/ottawa....html?id=2aa28604-33b0-4d73-951f-1e5d56eb62f4

Basically what the story says is that the daughters mother feels as though her daughter should be allowed to be in the same dressing room as the guys.

I think its complete ********, I happen to play rec hockey and after and before the game there are guys walking around the locker room nude, showering, getting changed, etc. How can you feel comfortable doing that when there are girls in there as well?
we have girls on our firemen rec team and they change with us - who freaking cares - it lean's a bit on the tree hugging politcally correct side of the way our lives are going - i'm down with the fact that mom want's girlie to get the whole locker room experience - not sure she's gonna like it when her daughter becomes a filth mouth beer drinking ref bashing goon though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->