Hockey mom wants daughter allowed in boys' change room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
In my beer league, there were two women on my team and we all changed in the same lockerroom, it's really not a big deal AT ALL.

canadahockeygirl*

Balej's Dance said:
I dont know what kind of a butch, manly woman you're pretending to be but its not about "handling" anything. Anyone who likes hockey would put up with some pretty bad things to play the game they love. Its about subjecting women to this nature of the mens lockerroom. Its not ladylike and feminine to have a woman cursing and jerking around with the guys no matter what you say you're comfortable with. Nor is it right to have a women there listening in and getting that junk thrown around in front of her. There's a place for women and thats not one of them MO. It shouldn't be about pretending to be one of the guys.

Either way you cut it, that was a poor attempt at making fun of guys who are trying to shed light and make sure little girls aren't put in a situation that could be harmful.
I'm not butch nor manly, nor was I pretending to be. I'm very feminine (was prom and homecoming queen) and able to take a joke fairly well and don't see what the big deal is with some things that happen in a locker room. Yeah, it was crude, but no worse than what happens in other locker rooms without men present.

Thanks for responding though.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Just made me remember something from about 2-3 years back. I was watching an episode of Off the Record and Darryl Sittler was on there and they were debating whether or not female reporters should go into a male dressing room after a game. Sittler was against the idea and he was debating with some broad who thought it was perfectly normal. But hey what does Sittler know eh? I mean the guy only played 15 years in the NHL I guess he never had been in a situation like that before. ;)

Personally I think this mother is very negligent to think of letting her daughter do this. Probabl borderline trailer park trash if she thinks this is normal. But hey pathetic way parents raise their kids nowadays nothing surprises me anymore.

My question is where is the father in all of this? What would be his input? It doesnt mention him. If he's around then I think he's even stupider if he approves of this.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Accord said:
In my beer league, there were two women on my team and we all changed in the same lockerroom, it's really not a big deal AT ALL.

yeah and how old are you guys and gals! We are talking about kids, its inappropriate any way you try and slice it!

nic29+

May 5, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
There are girls on my sons team that change in the same dressing room but these kids are 8. Sometimes there isn't enough dressing rooms to allow for the girls to go somewhere else.

But it could cause lots of problems.

Mxpunk

Jul 3, 2004
RPV, CA
Air said:
Well, sort of. (Read on)

I just want to point out that a lot of this is happening in the NHL. Sort of. Female reporters and journalists are allowed in dressing rooms, where players are just coming from the shower and barely dressed. (Remember that video a while ago of some guy being interviewed while his teammate was showering naked in the background?) I know it's not the same thing because journalists aren't getting naked, but it's still equally as embarrassing for the girls because these are, after all, bucknaked athletes.
Well, I think it has been stated already in this post, but it is different when children are involved. It is PRESUMED that male athletes will handle themselves accordingly when a reporter is present.

However, things are very different with kids, especially children who may be immature...I just think it is SAFER to have separate locker rooms...True, the problematic incidents may be low, but it is better to be safe than sorry.

And seriously...Female readers...Would you want your 14-year old daughter to change in a room with 18-19 boys while she is developing? Sure, you may be fine with yourself changing with men who are friends in rec leagues, but what about your daughter?

Last edited:

KOVALEV10*

Big Phil said:
Just made me remember something from about 2-3 years back. I was watching an episode of Off the Record and Darryl Sittler was on there and they were debating whether or not female reporters should go into a male dressing room after a game. Sittler was against the idea and he was debating with some broad who thought it was perfectly normal. But hey what does Sittler know eh? I mean the guy only played 15 years in the NHL I guess he never had been in a situation like that before. ;)

Personally I think this mother is very negligent to think of letting her daughter do this. Probabl borderline trailer park trash if she thinks this is normal. But hey pathetic way parents raise their kids nowadays nothing surprises me anymore.

My question is where is the father in all of this? What would be his input? It doesnt mention him. If he's around then I think he's even stupider if he approves of this.

If he's around then I think the father is one of those guys who isn't tough. His wife controls him and he has to agree on everything his wife tells him.

Chilly Willy*

This is soo stupid, yes let her shower naked with boys that are just starting to get interested in girls (damn they are starting early, horny lil devils).

This mom is just dumb, yeah ok you miss the whole team atmosphere when your all in the locker-room but after the game, when its time to hit the showers, girl should have her own stall or her own dressing room, we are perverts from boys to men, i am sure some 'randy' little kid will be tempted to peep then the mom is going to start a harassment lawsuit or some BS.

People fight over the dumbest things.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'm all for equal rights, and I don't have any probelms with girls playing in the boys league. This whole issue is sticky though, because of the age. These kids are 14. By that time, many kids will be going through puberty, and hormones will hit them like the proverbial ton of bricks. Now I'm not suggesting that this will lead to some sort of insane sex orgy with the 3 girls (as the story indicates there are) and a ton of boys. Far from it. But the saying "boys will be boys" was made for a reason.

I'm sure there are plenty of girls and women out there who have dressed in the same room as the guys on their teams, and never had an incident. Heck, there might even be teams that don't require the dress code or that the minory gender not be present when players are showering, but the fact is that all it takes is one little incident and the whole thing goes up like a lit match in a pool of gasoline. One kid just needs to accidentally circumvent the dress code, or do something inappropriate.

What if after a while, taking the time to do separate showers becomes cumbersome, so the coach simply erects a barrier in the showers so that the girls have one side and the boys have another. All that has to happen is that one of those hormone driven boys sneaks a peek across the barrier and we have a sexual harassment lawsuit on our hands.

Yeah, I might just be arguing the slippery slope, but the point stands that I don't think it's a good idea for that age group. maybe when they're younger and don't care, or older and mature enough to deal with it, but the early teens are the absolute worst age group to be risking anything happening. Why do you think I didn't have co-ed PE classes in grades 8 and 9 only?

Chilly Willy*

The Nemesis said:
I'm all for equal rights, and I don't have any probelms with girls playing in the boys league. This whole issue is sticky though, because of the age. These kids are 14. By that time, many kids will be going through puberty, and hormones will hit them like the proverbial ton of bricks. Now I'm not suggesting that this will lead to some sort of insane sex orgy with the 3 girls (as the story indicates there are) and a ton of boys. Far from it. But the saying "boys will be boys" was made for a reason.

I'm sure there are plenty of girls and women out there who have dressed in the same room as the guys on their teams, and never had an incident. Heck, there might even be teams that don't require the dress code or that the minory gender not be present when players are showering, but the fact is that all it takes is one little incident and the whole thing goes up like a lit match in a pool of gasoline. One kid just needs to accidentally circumvent the dress code, or do something inappropriate.

What if after a while, taking the time to do separate showers becomes cumbersome, so the coach simply erects a barrier in the showers so that the girls have one side and the boys have another. All that has to happen is that one of those hormone driven boys sneaks a peek across the barrier and we have a sexual harassment lawsuit on our hands.

Yeah, I might just be arguing the slippery slope, but the point stands that I don't think it's a good idea for that age group. maybe when they're younger and don't care, or older and mature enough to deal with it, but the early teens are the absolute worst age group to be risking anything happening. Why do you think I didn't have co-ed PE classes in grades 8 and 9 only?

That's what i am talking about, boys will be boys...then what are you going to have? Boys walking around turned on and naked girls on the other side, i'm not saying boys are perverts...but there was that 18yr old horny kid in the states that mounted a dog.

You just can't do this, there are too many factors to take under consideration, what happens when a girl is on her period and there is blood on the shower floor, guys will be like wtf and grossed out seeing all that.

People were complaining about teenage pregnancies...well this won't help, have 1 stud player that wants action and a girl that is willing...things go wrong after that.

canadahockeygirl*

I was looking at it from a changing, not showering point of view. That puts a different twist on it. The entire time I was in a locker room with guys, I would only shower after a game if I had to (if I was going to another sport), and it was understood by players and coaches that I went in alone and then they went in, or vice versa. The line was drawn at changing, as it should be. Once a guy tried to peek in, and he got Ben Gay in his cup and never tried that again. I can see where the concern for the daughter is if there's showering involved. But do a lot of kids playing rec hockey in their early teens shower out where you guys are? It wasn't until at least HS that the guys I know started showering after games.

My father was never thrilled with the idea of me playing hockey, never mind changing, with boys. But he realized that it was my only option aside from pond hockey (I was 15 when the first girls travel team came to my area) and let me do it hesitantly. Growing up, he was the one that said "no getting stark naked, don't take anything personally, you're putting yourself on the line and you should know how to handle yourself in there".

As far as my daughter playing/changing in a guys locker room, if it was truly what she wanted, I would let her and hope my husband would say the same. However, she would most likely have plenty of girls hockey options around her so I would steer her that way once she reached a certain age.

canadahockeygirl*

ChillyWilly said:
You just can't do this, there are too many factors to take under consideration, what happens when a girl is on her period and there is blood on the shower floor, guys will be like wtf and grossed out seeing all that.

Earmuffs, sensitive men and women with light stomachs.

It's called tampons, and the blood doesn't just sit on the floor if one isn't in. It goes down the drain with the rest of the water, and is for the most part unnoticeable. You don't bleed like a mass murder just occurred between your legs.

People were complaining about teenage pregnancies...well this won't help, have 1 stud player that wants action and a girl that is willing...things go wrong after that.

I don't see this as being restricted to the LOCKER ROOM. It's just as much a threat off the ice even if the girl has her own locker room. One stud player will get his tail regardless of location if the chick is willing.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
4thLineGoon said:
I thought we had seperate bathrooms so I wouldn't have to smell/listen to some girl taking a nasty dump, which would cause me to be unable to ever have sex with her.

Yes thats exactly the reason we have seperate bathrooms :shakehead

You know once upon a time we actually could discuss things on this board, without the stupid comments.

I wished that board would come back :confused:

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
NataSatan666 said:
Yes thats exactly the reason we have seperate bathrooms :shakehead

You know once upon a time we actually could discuss things on this board, without the stupid comments.

I wished that board would come back :confused:

Just ignore the stupid comments. There are 8 pages and maybe 3 stupid comments.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
4thLineGoon said:
I thought we had seperate bathrooms so I wouldn't have to smell/listen to some girl taking a nasty dump, which would cause me to be unable to ever have sex with her.

Probably the funniest post i've ever read :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

canadahockeygirl*

La-La-Laprise said:
Just ignore the stupid comments. There are 8 pages and maybe 3 stupid comments.
I think it's because the lounge is shut down and people need to get their kicks somewhere.

jacklours

Mar 5, 2003
Magog
I played with a girl since I was 5. i'm actually 20. A few years we had 2 girls in the team. The girls always use to go in the bathroom whenever they were ready to change (underwear, t-shirts) then get dressed in the locker room with everyone. Around 12-13-14 we start getting interested by girl pretty much everyone is too shy to how their tiny weiners, so no one does anything disgraceful. Also it was always understood and accepted that the girls took the shower before us and without us. Whenever a new player would try some spying into the shower, he'd get **** on by all of us because we all had respect fpr these girls. So nothing happened ever with these girls in the l;ocker room

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
From my experience, in the dressing room I've heard the most obscene things of my life from my teammates (never had a female teammate before) Now I don't think the problem is a girl being insulted by this stuff, I'd think girls would expect it, but I know that my teammates would never want a girl hearing what they talk about.

i.e. one of my teammates last year did something rather disgusting, and we all said "dude you always complaining about not getting chicks, well that's the reason why" his response was "what happens in the dressing room stays in the dressing room"

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Legally the girl’s rights are being infringed upon. Culturally 15 minutes before the game is enough for me.

Moon Man*

AlienWorkShop said:
From my experience, in the dressing room I've heard the most obscene things of my life from my teammates (never had a female teammate before) Now I don't think the problem is a girl being insulted by this stuff, I'd think girls would expect it, but I know that my teammates would never want a girl hearing what they talk about.

That was my first thought as well. Even at that age, the girl could be easy going, not be fazed by anything and be able to handle herself fine, but there might be more than a few guys who might be uncomfortable with a girl in the room.

canadahockeygirl said:
I think it's because the lounge is shut down and people need to get their kicks somewhere.

It's a scary sight seeing Predsfan77 unleashed upon the rest of the board. :eek:

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Sideline said:
Legally the girl’s rights are being infringed upon. Culturally 15 minutes before the game is enough for me.

How are her rights being infringed upon?

Can someone sue to be able to use the other sex's restrooms? Because if so a bunch of guys would be filing class action law suits.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Sideline said:

...and what, don't the boys have a right to privacy? ...this dual standard really gets me mad.

canadahockeygirl*

La-La-Laprise said:
How are her rights being infringed upon?

Can someone sue to be able to use the other sex's restrooms? Because if so a bunch of guys would be filing class action law suits.
There was a lawsuit out here once about a T restroom for transvestites...

Chilly Willy*

Fedz said:
For a 14 year old girl she's extremely pretty too. If I was a bit younger, and on her team I'd love it for her to change, and that's exactly why I think it shouldn't happen.

http://vancouver.cbc.ca/gfx/Vancouver/photos/050711_dressingrmgrl.jpg

http://vancouver.cbc.ca/gfx/Vancouver/photos/050711_dresemlyn1.jpg

Maybe the girl is a pervert, she wants to see naked boys.

If they change it there, whats next? Co-ed changing rooms in highschool for PE? If they say yes to this, then they have to say yes to that, no difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad