Hockey is dying!!

statistics

Dec 29, 2006
Finland
And you are generalizing that this is some evidence that hockey overall is "dying", which is just absurd. Good for Finnish soccer, but who cares?

1. Please go read my earlier post. I only used hockey is dying in the headline, because I wanted attention to this topic. Hockey is not dying. It's going to get smaller, even more marginal sport.

2. I never wrote that hockey dying, because of just Finland.

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA
Actually no, Personality as in they don't do interviews like complete stiffs filled with endless cliches. For example Jeremy Roenick is gold when it comes to personality, Sidney Crosby on the other hand is lame. You can see that Ovechkin has a good personality, but his lack of English is a killer.

You must have seen Crosby on Leno, it was one of the worst interviews I think Leno has ever had to endure. You can tell he was trying to wrap it up so he can get Crosby to shoot the puck into the Dryer.

The other thing is the complete misunderstanding of US culture by hockey fans and especially Canadians.

The entire world is trying to rap, wear NBA and NFL gear in school, etc but he fails to recognize that the other leagues represent the people. The NHL stars are not interesting. They don't represent anyone.

The NHL culture is blank. The NHL culture is white and boring. The only news you get about the NHL is a player attacks another, they get low ratings for their all-star game, and oh ya, they skate or something.

There is no reason to care about Sidney Crosby because, he has not done anything that anybody cares about. Not only that, he is boring.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
1. Please go read my earlier post. I only used hockey is dying in the headline, because I wanted attention to this topic. Hockey is not dying. It's going to get smaller, even more marginal sport.

2. I never wrote that hockey dying, because of just Finland.
I have no desire to go re-read all that. I haven't seen any conclusive evidence from you yet, except that you prefer soccer to hockey and attendance for some Finnish soccer team is up. Oh, and that "chicks" prefer soccer because they get to see more skin.

That's wonderful, I'm happy for the Finnish soccer team getting good attendance. Now, how does this relate to the NHL or hockey in the US in general? It doesn't.

GSC2k2*

Hockey was more popular than the NBA in almost every US city that had both until the early 1990s. It wasn't even close in the 60s, 70s, and early 80s. The Bulls used to draw flies; the Blackhawks sold out all the time. The Bruins drew much better than the Celtics even though the Celtics won the championship all the time. The Red Wings outdrew the Pistons by light years. The Rangers outdrew the Knicks (and the pendulum has shifted back this way), and on and on.

The NHL has to answer the question of how it let this happen. First step to recovery.
Do you have a website to confirm this information?

statistics

Dec 29, 2006
Finland
That's wonderful, I'm happy for the Finnish soccer team getting good attendance. Now, how does this relate to the NHL or hockey in the US in general? It doesn't.

NHL doesn't sell TV rights, caps, jerseys, hockeycards etc. outside North America? There's never been finnish players in the NHL? International hockey doesn't need Finland, because there's so many good countries even without Finland?

statistics

Dec 29, 2006
Finland
What?

Punainen lanka, missä pelaa?

If hockey's popularity goes down in Finland it affects NHL and it Affects international hockey. Hockey world is a small one. Hockey needs Finland. Of course it needs countries like Canada, USA etc. more, but it needs Finland too.

If you hate Futisforum (BTW it's 2 now) why you use missä pelaa?

ShooterMcGavin*

The other thing is the complete misunderstanding of US culture by hockey fans and especially Canadians.

The entire world is trying to rap, wear NBA and NFL gear in school, etc but he fails to recognize that the other leagues represent the people. The NHL stars are not interesting. They don't represent anyone.

The NHL culture is blank. The NHL culture is white and boring. The only news you get about the NHL is a player attacks another, they get low ratings for their all-star game, and oh ya, they skate or something.

There is no reason to care about Sidney Crosby because, he has not done anything that anybody cares about. Not only that, he is boring.

Dude hockey isn't a circus, we watch the game because we enjoy it. We don't want Sidney to start doing triple back flip slap shots into the net. Stop crying.

spence___

Oct 3, 2002
Visit site
Look I like hockey, but your are wrong. Soccer beats hockey in America in the future, because of:

- It's cheaper to play, than hockey
- It's less violent
- American population is changing (hispanic population is growing fast)
- Global warming (if global warming is not real. It's neutral, so at best hockey can break even)

Let's face it: hockey has been in America what 90 years? and it's not been very popular ever.

Since when has being less violent been a good thing when it comes to sports?

spence___

Oct 3, 2002
Visit site
+ Chicks like soccer more, than hockey. They can see more skin and players face better.

The **** they do. Women love hockey players, however I've never heard an American female mention a soccer player in anything near an adoring fashion. In American society all the alpha males flock to almost every other sport the first chance they get and the women of course follow them. I don't see how soccer is going to change that.

spence___

Oct 3, 2002
Visit site
MLS is doing fine. When Pele and played in the America, nobody knew what football is. Pele was almost 40 and totally over the hill. Beckham is 31/32.

Football's potential in the America is much bigger than hockey 's potential.

**** Beckham. He was nothing more than a tabloid sensation in Britain, but while he was marrying one of the most eligible females in all of England to us he was marrying a washed up has been, one-hit wonder. Americans view Beckham as an effeminate loser and there's nothing the man can do that will change that impression.

statistics

Dec 29, 2006
Finland
The **** they do. Women love hockey players, however I've never heard an American female mention a soccer player in anything near an adoring fashion. In American society all the alpha males flock to almost every other sport the first chance they get and the women of course follow them. I don't see how soccer is going to change that.

Chicks are going to love Beckham, because there's going to be lot's of pictures about Beckham in women's magazines.

spence___

Oct 3, 2002
Visit site
Spice girls aren't exactly one-hit wonders.

I hate to break it to you, but in America they sure as hell were. As bad as pop culture is in America in Europe it's several dozen times worse. Europe's got a lot going for it, but your pop culture is ridiculously stupid in comparison to ours which I also think is ridiculously stupid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->