Boston Globe Hockey is an honest game, or is it?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Hockey is an honest game, or is it? - The Boston Globe

And anyway, hockey’s an honest game, right? All that free-flowing action makes it hard to cheat. It’s a game of quick thinking, not sign stealing. A playbook isn’t much help when Connor McDavid is racing toward you, or David Pastrnak is lining up a slapper. You can’t deflate solid rubber, and if anyone’s banging on a trash can, it’s an overserved fan.

Honest game, right? Not quite.

“I played with an illegal stick my entire career,” offered NESN analyst Andy Brickley.
Brickley, who spent four of his 11 NHL seasons in Boston, wasn’t the only one with a blatant disregard for the NHL’s blade curvature rules (no more than three-quarters of an inch). All players have their name stamped on the top of the stick, and Brickley would tell his apart by circling the “LE” in his surname — for “legal.” His tempting fate only went so far. In the final minutes of a game, or when he was killing a penalty, he would swap his illicit model for something less banana-hooky, to avoid attention.

As it relates to state secrets, there aren’t many Belichickian coaches in the NHL. Bruce Cassidy, one of the league’s more open books, said last summer he divulged to another team’s assistant coach, a longtime friend, how the Bruins teach their defensive-zone coverage. After Columbus swept Tampa Bay in the first round of the playoffs, Cassidy also checked in with Lightning coach Jon Cooper, who was willing to give his take on the Bruins’ second-round opponent.

“I would do the same for certain coaches. Other guys didn’t that I called,” Cassidy said. “So I think you develop that friendship and which guys are more guarded and which aren’t, you figure it out and off you go.”

From Sports Illustrated: In the 1996 playoffs, when TV timeouts were called by a network producer and not by the league (they now come at the first stoppage after 6:00, 10:00, and 14:00 of a period), the Maple Leafs had a sympathetic broadcaster move his soda cup to the edge of the booth whenever the producer signaled that a TV timeout was imminent. A Toronto staffer in the next booth would radio down to the bench. That allowed the Leafs to ice their best line, knowing it could rest during the timeout. The cup trick didn’t bring the Leafs the Cup. They lost in the first round.

Former Red Wings coach Scotty Bowman was the Red Auerbach of his time. According to a St. Louis Post-Dispatch story from 1998, the Blues were hardly thankful that the Wings painted their locker room before Game 5 of their first-round series the two previous years. The Denver Post reported the Avalanche smelled “noxious fumes” in the visiting room in the 1996 Western Conference finals, and their new replacement bench was a few cheeks shorter than usual.

There’s diving and delaying, which takes many forms. Montreal coach Jacques Lemaire was known to toss a coin on the ice if his team was gassed. Tired players test officials’ patience by slowly reporting to the faceoff circle, and goalies can “accidentally” knock the net off its moorings to get a breather during a frenzied stretch of play. In last year’s Boston-Columbus playoff series, Brad Marchand stepped on Cam Atkinson’s stick and cracked it. Had an official noticed, he could have handed Marchand a delay of game penalty..........

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Porter makes a good observation here about Cassidy being quite an open book. He's clamped up a bit since the Bruins started to struggle, and there are some topics that he won't really talk about that some of us fans would probably prefer he would, but when it comes to some of the tactical stuff he can be very open and quite detailed in discussing various plays and positioning. It's insightful and interesting, but occasionally he offers things that make you think 'really, you want to be sharing that?' I'm sure it's never anything that other coaches haven't already easily worked out, but it's certainly more than most other guys are willing to divulge. Definitely one of the more notable elements of his coaching style and media management.

Reactions: Top Shelf Wrister

Top Shelf Wrister

Jan 16, 2017
Porter makes a good observation here about Cassidy being quite an open book. He's clamped up a bit since the Bruins started to struggle, and there are some topics that he won't really talk about that some of us fans would probably prefer he would, but when it comes to some of the tactical stuff he can be very open and quite detailed in discussing various plays and positioning. It's insightful and interesting, but occasionally he offers things that make you think 'really, you want to be sharing that?' I'm sure it's never anything that other coaches haven't already easily worked out, but it's certainly more than most other guys are willing to divulge. Definitely one of the more notable elements of his coaching style and media management.
Butch is the first coach i would listen to post game. He actually tells you things that aren't an automated response and quiet frankly i just belive what he has to say. Maybe candid isnt the right word but something close to that?

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Butch is the first coach i would listen to post game. He actually tells you things that aren't an automated response and quiet frankly i just belive what he has to say. Maybe candid isnt the right word but something close to that?
Ya he is. It’s not like it’s a big secret what teams are doing out there anyways.

Aside from maybe set face off plays you can watch a team for a week and pick up most of their tendencies.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I'm not a football fan at all and don't follow the Patriots, but I found it hilarious when deflategate happened that you had them subpoenaing texts and suspending guys for multiple games over deflated footballs when in hockey if you get caught with an illegal stick it's a 2 minute penalty and then everyone moves on with their lives.

And you'd think if the PSI of the football was so important they'd just have the league supply them instead of the teams. Anyway, for as backwards and crummy as the NHL can be it's still not as dumb as the NFL.

Top Shelf Wrister

Jan 16, 2017
I'm not a football fan at all and don't follow the Patriots, but I found it hilarious when deflategate happened that you had them subpoenaing texts and suspending guys for multiple games over deflated footballs when in hockey if you get caught with an illegal stick it's a 2 minute penalty and then everyone moves on with their lives.

And you'd think if the PSI of the football was so important they'd just have the league supply them instead of the teams. Anyway, for as backwards and crummy as the NHL can be it's still not as dumb as the NFL.
Ray rice got 2 games for the elevator incident. People forget that...

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Top Shelf Wrister

Jan 16, 2017
Ya he is. It’s not like it’s a big secret what teams are doing out there anyways.

Aside from maybe set face off plays you can watch a team for a week and pick up most of their tendencies.
Defensive formations, winger locks and things like that are exactly no secret. Still gotta execute. It takes a certain swagger to say your gameplan then go out and do it. Jon Cooper did this last year and he got punched in the mouth by Columbus, loose lips sink ships Butch

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
After deflate gate, people must have thought that the NFL were from now on strict about football psi? Um. No.
In 2016 the Giants played the Steelers and managed to get two of the Steelers footballs on turnovers. Both balls tested under. They sent the balls to The league. The response?

The NFL issued a statement Sunday saying: "The officiating game ball procedures were followed and there were no chain of command issues. All footballs were in compliance and no formal complaint was filed by the Giants with our office."

Wow. That was easy. And no formal complaint. Aside from sending the balls in was their a form to fill out?

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I agree, I got a subscription just for the Bruins news, even though it's largely crap, but lately they've been upping their game.

I did the same just for the Bruins coverage. Matt Porter is just terrific.

I also splurged on an Athletic subscription at the same time. I regret that one immensely.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The old Garden had an analog clock from 1941-67 and the penalty clocks were not calibrated equally

A visiting penalty would run about 2:02 and a home penalty 1:58

20111020224046_1942C.jpg

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
The old Garden had an analog clock from 1941-67 and the penalty clocks were not calibrated equally

A visiting penalty would run about 2:02 and a home penalty 1:58

20111020224046_1942C.jpg

Professional soccer in England is rife with these types of stories done to visiting teams in the past (and maybe still), very similar: too hot changing rooms, ice cold water in the showers, underinflated practice balls, oversweetened tea etc.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Was it Keenan that, if his team was down a goal late in the game would play his best line....switch his goalie, who back then got to take 8 or 10 warm up shots, thus resting his first line...only to switch goalies again and then use his timeout.

So in essence his best players could play about 4 of the last 5 minutes or so.

Reactions: jangerhofer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad