Hockey Invented In England ... Not Canada

James Laverance

Feb 12, 2013
An interesting page from the book on earlier(pre-1875) indoor hockey.

"In 1863, one of the first covered ice rinks in Canada was erected at the Horticultural Gardens in Halifax. Dartmouth historian Dr. John Martin, who made an extensive research of hockey and its origin in Nova Scotia, stated in his privately published work The Birthplace of Hockey that the rink had been the site of indoor hockey games."
"Dr. Martin noted that organized games played in the new rink in the winter of 1863 were regularly reported in the local papers, and that "Hockey must have been a game of long standing in and about Halifax, because the newspapers did not comment on anything extraordinary about the contests: which suggests that their readers were well acquainted with hockey procedure and practices. The only seeming novelty was that the game was played indoors for the first time, and necessarily limited the number of players on each side."
"Unfortunately, Dr. Martin did not provide specific examples of the games played in the rink, and many of the original newspapers from those years, which were held in the archives of Nova Scotia, were destroyed in the 1960s. As a consequence, none of the game reports evoked by Dr. Martin has been uncovered yet."
http://www.amazon.com/On-Origin-Hockey-Carl-Gidén/dp/0993799809

^^^ look inside then press kindle book to view.

Summary:

Interesting read although hockey may have influence from Great Britian it certainly didn't start there.
I suspect they were introduced to ice hockey from King's College Windsor NS or somewhere else in North America.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Don't know who created it but the first organized league was in Montreal with various Montreal teams, an Irish One, An English One and a Scotish One. And then a team from Ottawa was grafted to it. The guy from Ottawa owned the Ottawa team and another Ontario team(not from Toronto, it was the city he was from,not a big one).

Then a frustrated owner left and wanted to created a competitive league and created The Montreal Canadiens who would target the french audience of Montreal. But since no french people played hockey they hired a bunch of guys with french-sounding names (Marleau? check) and a frenchy from Ottawa. Other teams joined and teams from the other league joined too. And this new league became more popular and became the only league, etc...

PrimumHockeyist

Apr 7, 2018
hockey-stars.ca

Boy, 29 pages deep in comments. Am I ever late to the party (again).

I only recently learned about On the Origin of Hockey. I got the book, read it a few times, and was left with decidedly mixed feelings. So, excuse me if I raise points that have already been mentioned here, but I only got a few pages into the comments.

First, the positive: This is a truly important work when it comes to the history of ice hockey. The authors are to be commended for their research. What the authors have shown, conclusively, is that the concept of playing "a stick and ball team game on ice with skates" did not originate in Canada, as was generally assumed prior to the introduction of this book. Until the time of this book, it was quietly assumed that a Canadian was the first person to come up with this idea, resulting in a process of imitation and transference, in Canada, that let to James Creighton's game in Montreal 1875. This is where our known history of ice hockey is generally seen to begin, and it is a process of transference that we know leads through Nova Scotia.

The notion that Creighton's game is basically an 1800s English 'hockey' game is only tenable if the demonstration game is basically like the ones that were played on ice in modern-day Britain in the 1800s. It may be natural and easy to for us to presume this, over a century later, but the words of an eye-witness to First Game, recorded less than two years later, in the Montreal Gazette in December of 1877, make EMPHATICALLY clear that this is NOT true. And so, if we are to defer to periodicals from England in the 1800s, at least as much emphasis should be placed on the 1877 article, which says that Creighton's game is very different.

One question that remains, is if all of these significant differences, which resulted in the birth of a new 'stick and ball game' that the world now recognizes as ice hockey, first appeared in Montreal or in Nova Scotia. Halifax must be considered carefully, of course, because we know that the demonstration game was based largely on a stick and ball game known as Halifax Hockey Club Rules. At present, history seems to favor Montreal, because we can see why Creighton would want to eliminate the forward pass, in order to keep his rugby-playing friends engaged and in shape during the off-season, and because we have no record that the forward pass was eliminated in Nova Scotia, sometime after Byron Weston played Halifax Hockey Club Rules (and he was almost the exact same age as Creighton).

A second Nova Scotia thing that must be considered, when it comes to the origin point of this new game, ice hockey, is the Mi'kmaq stick. It hardly seems likely that a team of settlers using old country hurley sticks, shinny sticks and field hockey sticks would have been able to compete against a team using Mi'kmaq sticks, whose blades are vastly superior sweeping instruments which, as we all know, makes a player much more able to execute forehand and backhand shots and passes.

Did the Mi'kmaq become the dominant stick where Halifax Rules was played in Nova Scotia? Was it so superior that a team of players using 'old country' sticks would have their asses handed to them by a team of otherwise equally skilled players who used Mi'kmaq sticks? We know that the settlers and military members observed the Mik'maq playing stick and ball games as early as the 1700s. Did the settlers start trying them when they played their European stick and ball games? Did it become evident that the Mi'kmaq was so superior that settlers began using Mik'maqs until those using old country tools could no longer compete?

If so, then ice hockey's first game-changing innovation - a feature that made it truly different than other stick and ball games - was introduced in Nova Scotia prior to 1875.

These ideas are certainly plausible, but all we know is this, apparently: When James Creighton decided to introduce his rugby friends to Halifax Hockey Club Rules, he did so by ordering Mi'kmaq sticks.

The 1889 Dartmouth Chebectos team, which famously went to Quebec and played Halifax Rules, are seen using a stick that looks identical to the world's reigning Oldest Stick, from Cape Breton Mik'maq country circa 1835. That stick and the ones that the Chebectos all used may be the result of centuries worth of engineering, a design that became dominant in the Mi'kmaq setting for being of optimal use when it comes to playing a stick and ball game on ice that centers around the movement of a flat object on ice. Granted, within Ontario and Quebec the blade evolved in a different direction, but throughout that transition it retained its essential feature, the difference-making blade.

In fairness, the authors do mention one English hockey stick whose design would seem to be adequately competitive. Crafted in the early 1800s, it is juxtaposed next to a similar English stick that dates to 1875. This raised the legitimate suggestion that this design endured throughout the early 1800s, until it became an official English field hockey-bandy design in the late 1800s. This raises the possibility that the Halifax settlers may have been inspired by that kind of English stick.

This is is possible, but throughout On the Origins of Hockey all of the other pre 1875 British sticks woould be relatively useless in a game where growing numbers of players used a Mi'kmaq stick. Based on the authors' sample then, it seems safe to presume that the majority of settlers would have brought other old country sticks - ones that were relatively useless in such games. So, they may have imitated those English players who happened to have a stick with a more ideal blade. But when we apply that logic with respect to the settings where these stick and ball games were played in Nova Scotia, it seems far more likely that they would have been inspired by the Mi'kmaq stick.

Like I said, I think this is a truly important book, and I give the authors much credit for showing that 'the stick and ball game on skates' idea did not originate in Canada. But a major problem with On the Origin of Hockey is the authors' definition of 'hockey' on which they base much of their case. Basically, they say that hockey is a "team game, played on ice with a curved stick and skates, where the objective is to strike an object into another team's goal." They used this definition to make a fabulous job of showing that such stick and ball games were played in Britain in the 1800s. Their definition is very useful because it enables them to show, in a legitimate way, that the British played such games, some of which were called 'hockey'.

However, the definition is intrinsically flawed. For example, near the end of the book the authors say that bandy is like hockey. This is certainly true, but according to their definition bandy IS "hockey."

You can't have it both ways. In the end, the similarities and differences of a game must be addressed,. If such differences aren't addressed then rickets also becomes hockey - rickets being that game seen by the Boston reporter in 1859, which centered on carrying the ball - an action expressly prohibited in Halifax Rules. Obviously, one should say that bandy is "an example of a stick and ball game played on ice with skates." So, why not take this commonsense approach when it comes to 'hockey', since its various English iterations are really just other examples?

My guess is that the authors used this flawed definiton in order to make the case that Canadians were not the first people to played stick and ball games on ice with skates. Whatever the reason, once we consider such games in a fuller light, we must also address games' differeces and ask if the differences are truly significant. "Ice hockey," for being a game that is significantly different than all of the other stick and ball games that preceded it, remains a Canadian invention.

Last edited by a moderator:

PrimumHockeyist

Apr 7, 2018
hockey-stars.ca
I've edited paragraphs into your post to make it easier to read.

Not a problem, Theokritos, and thanks for letting me know that. I guess I needed to vent.

Like I said, I think the authors did some great research. Another thing that concerns me, however, is how they overlook Nova Scotia. I have a similar concern with how Creighton's first game is generally described: it seems to be only about Montreal, for having been played there. It would be nice if we could figure out a way to fit Nova Scotia into the description, to preserve its mention in utterances involving First Game and Montreal....

How we might do this is beyond me, but here's the direction I'm leaning in:

"Throughout the 1800s settlers in colonial North America played various 'stick and ball games on ice with skates'. On March 3rd of 1875 James Creighton introduced such a hybrid Montrealer-Nova Scotian game which was called "ice hockey." This was true of other stick and ball games in colonial North America, sometimes their games were also called hockey, but all of those other games died off. Only Creighton's Montreal-Nova Scotian version survived, continuing to evolve until it became what the world recognizes ice hockey. "

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
The notion that Creighton's game is basically an 1800s English 'hockey' game is only tenable if the demonstration game is basically like the ones that were played on ice in modern-day Britain in the 1800s. It may be natural and easy to for us to presume this, over a century later, but the words of an eye-witness to First Game, recorded less than two years later, in the Montreal Gazette in December of 1877, make EMPHATICALLY clear that this is NOT true.

It's been a few years since I've been really invested in this topic, but I don't recall any Montreal Gazette article from December 1877. Am I missing something or do you actually have gthe McGill University Gazette in mind?

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
You didn't bother to read anything of substance, did you?

I judged by your comment that you wanted me to expand on my point. The title of this thread certainly implies that some **** was intended to be stirred. I found the content interesting, particularly the use of the word "hockey". However, it's a poor grasp of communication skills to suggest that the word "invention" should be attributed to England when it comes to "hockey" (unless you are referring to the literal name itself).

There's a difference between something's origin/roots and the invention of something. Hockey was most definitely "invented" and perfected in Canada. Does it have "roots/origins" somewhere else? I'd be surprised if it didn't. Just as kicking something round is virtually innate, so is the desire to whack something with a stick, be it on the ground, on the ice or in the air. Therefore, the act of hitting something on the ice would have most definitely been older than Canada. That doesn't mean that it was "invented" in another country.

Last edited:

PrimumHockeyist

Apr 7, 2018
hockey-stars.ca
Theokritos said "It's been a few years since I've been really invested in this topic, but I don't recall any Montreal Gazette article from December 1877. Am I missing something or do you actually have the McGill University Gazette in mind?"

You are right. I should have said McGill.

The writer makes a timeless prediction, that many would quite naturally think that this Montreal-Nova Scotian "ice hockey" game is basically just like those other stick and ball games played throughout colonial North America and 19th century Britain. And, the writer is saying that that interpretation is wrong.Very wrong!

"Never was a greater mistake made."

For carrying such weight this direct eye-witness statement must still bury the same presumption nearly 150 years later.

hock1-1.png hock2-1.png hock3-1.pnghock4-1.png hock5-1.png

Attachments

• hock4-1.png
    hock4-1.png
    51.7 KB · Views: 7
  • hock5-1.png
    hock5-1.png
    28 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
You are right. I should have said McGill.

Thanks for the clarification.

For others who might not know, this article, written by an eye-witness to Creighton's demonstration less than two years later, may be the closest thing we get to sacred scriptures, when it comes to what we know about Creighton's demonstration game.
To be precise, the article refers to 1877, not to the 1875 demonstration, right?

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Just as kicking something round is virtually innate, so is the desire to whack something with a stick, be it on the ground, on the ice or in the air. Therefore, the act of hitting something on the ice would have most definitely been older than Canada.

"Whacking something with a stick" falls way short of doing the research justice.

1827/1858 - First use of referees - England

The information about 1827 came from Richard Brown who was a referee that year, as told to Charles Goodman Tebbutt more than 60 years later. The first contemporary evidence of referees was told by George Frederick Pardon in the 1858 book Games for All Seasons where he described the game on the ice with an umpire calling play.

1827/1871 - First identified goaltender - England

The first identified goalie that we have is John Jackson from Earith who was in goal in 1827. That information however came from interviews of participating players more than 60 years later by Charles Goodman Tebbutt. Another first hand recollection came from an 1894 book written by John Dugdale Astley who vividly recollected how the Prince Consort and Lord Listowel were goalies in a game played 1853. The oldest contemporary note that I have is from a game played in 1871 in Bury Fen where one of the Tebbutt brothers was in goal.

1827/1871 – First identified captain(s) in a game - England

The first known captain was William Leeland in 1827. However that was not a contemporary observation, but we know that for example Glossary of North Country Words, in Use from 1829 described that a game was headed by two captains, so we know through a contemporary source that captains were in use at that time. First known contemporary reference so far is from a game played on January 3, 1871 with William Meadows (Bluntisham) and Christopher Smith Billups (Chatteris) as captains.

1831 – First organized game - England

Organized means that the game was planned ahead of time. The first such game that I am aware of was played on a field of ice in Colne Fen between nine players from Bluntisham and nine players from Colne on February 4, 1831.

1847 - First stick manufacturer - England

The earliest hockey stick manufacturer as far as I’ve been able to find, was John Owen Byles in London who advertised them in Bells Life as early as 1847. These were of course primarily made for field hockey, but no doubt could be used for playing on the ice as well. Conover & Walker, a hardware and sporting goods store on Broadway in lower Manhattan sold “Shinny sticks” as early as 1860, unclear though if they also manufactured them, or only sold them.

1868 - First written rules for ice hockey - England

Of course, we are all aware of the rules that were published in The (Montreal) Gazette on February 27, 1877, pretty much verbatim from the 1875 field hockey rules. But in 1868 the Boy’s Own Book listed six rules, saying that “with a party of good skaters, this game affords fine sport, but of course can only be played on a sheet of ice of great extent.”

1870 – First game with rosters and goalscorers - England

The ice hockey game between Spetchley and Worcester on December 27, 1870 is the earliest known game with all players identified (ten aside), as well as the goalscorers. Spetchley won the game 4-3.

1871 - First account of a game being timed - England

A game between Elsham Club and Brigg Club (eight aside) is the first known game where the time of all goals were noted.

1881 – First specific skate made for the sport - England

The "Standard Hockey Skates" authorized to be used by the National Skating Association were in use in 1881 at the latest. These were manufactured in Sheffield by Colquhoun & Cadman and the Marsden Brothers. These were the first specific ice hockey skates. They had the letters S.H. (Standard Hockey), upon the blade and upon the straps, they also had a symbol of two crossed sticks and a ball.

1883 – First rules drawn up by a national association - England

The National Skating Association (NSA) adopted a set of rules for the Fens and Metropolitan District. These rules are the earliest known ice hockey rules to have been published by a structured sports organization, pre-dating the Canadian AHAC rules by more than four years.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
"Whacking something with a stick" falls way short of doing the research justice.
It wasn't my job to write a thesis on some articles people discovered. My issue was with the implied tone ("Ha ha Canada... you didn't invent hockey after all") and with the accuracy ("roots" versus "invented").

Sometimes you can some up an idea in 50 words or less.

... and the "whacking something with a stick" was not referring to the research the forum members did. I thought it's meaning was obvious. There is a big difference what some guy did on a patch of ice in England way back when and what eventually became hockey in Canada.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
There is a big difference what some guy did on a patch of ice in England way back when and what eventually became hockey in Canada.

It's not like that part is disputed by anyone. But there is also a big difference what some guy did on a patch of ice in Canada back then and what eventually became hockey.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
It's not like that part is disputed by anyone. But there is also a big difference what some guy did on a patch of ice in Canada back then and what eventually became hockey.
Bottom line... hockey has it's roots somewhere across the (big) pond. Hockey was invented (organized, refined, developed, evolved) in Canada.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Bottom line... hockey has it's roots somewhere across the (big) pond. Hockey was invented (organized, refined, developed, evolved) in Canada.

Depends on how you define "invented".

Side-note: The headline "Hockey Invented In England ... Not Canada" was coined by the Toronto Sun, not by the researchers who published the book. They titled it "On the Origin of Hockey".

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

Side-note: The headline "Hockey Invented In England ... Not Canada" was coined by the Toronto Sun, not by the researchers who published the book. They titled it "On the Origin of Hockey".
To the researchers for that...

19he3k2rb2lmmgif.gif

PrimumHockeyist

Apr 7, 2018
hockey-stars.ca
Thanks for the clarification.

To be precise, the article refers to 1877, not to the 1875 demonstration, right?

Yes, in the sense that it was written in 1877, in December. But the writer references a game that appears to have been played in 76, for saying that he had seen the game a year earlier. My bad.

PrimumHockeyist

Apr 7, 2018
hockey-stars.ca

"Coined," perhaps, but in this radio interview the CBC announcer says very clearly that the authors of On the Origin of Hockey assert that hockey was invented in England. One of them affirms this in the interview, starting around 1:10.

Here's the description of the CBC Interview:

Hockey is Canada's national sport, and long-thought to have been invented here. But Montreal historian Jean-Patrice Martel says he has have uncovered new evidence that "proves the game was born in England."

Not. For the same reason we don't say that Alexander Graham Bell invented the cellphone, nor do we say that the English invented the Montreal-Nova Scotia 'stick and ball' game which James Creighton introduced on Mar 3, 1875.

Last edited:

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
IIRC lot of the discussion was about what is ones definition of ice hockey.

My own personal opinion about the evidence shown is that it is that the games were very very similar. It´s hard to say if the people "creating" hockey in Canada was aware of the very similar game played in England. But atleast it strongly seems that both were inspired by field hockey. And for all that is presented it is hard to me to say that other was hockey and other clearly wasn´t. Ofcourse the evolution of the game went slightly different ways in Canada and England.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad