Advice: Hockey in the UK (England or Wales)

choirboy

Apr 12, 2006
I was curious if anyone here has insight to pickup or mens hockey to play in England or Wales. I may be having to relocate there from Canada for a couple of years so was curious as to what the options are for places like.

1. London
2. Cardiff/South Wales
3. Buckingham
4. Bangor
5. Hertfordshire
6. Staffordshire

Any insight or help is appreciated.

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
I'm in Hampshire but I know there is a team in Milton Keynes, and somewhat surprisingly the Plymouth Pirates train at Cardiff. There are surely other teams at those rinks. Buckingham is I think not far from Oxford and Milton Keynes. Slough rink which is further away has been completely refurbished and has lots of rec teams. London has plenty of rinks and Romford and Streatham have teams. I don't think Queens has. Slough is to the West. Guildford is to the South and has Guildford Smoke, A and B teams. As far as I know every UK rink except perhaps Plymough cos it's tiny has rec hockey. Some have stick and puck sessions which welcome beginners and anyone else who wants a knock around on ice. Some teams open up their training sessions to drop ins, including Eton Rifles at Slough, on Wednesday evening. Do be aware that ice time is scarce and teams often train at 10 pm or later. The last game I played stared at 11 pm and ended at 1 am.

Oh, there is one at Hemel Hempstead which has pillars in the middle so I don't think they do rec hockey!!!!!

Facebook seems to be the way that teams publicise themselves. My team is on Facebook but it's a secret group. Some are public. But it's easy enough to find teams, just pop along to nearby rinks and have a chat with the rink staff, after all the teams book sessions at the rink, so if they don't know who to contact no-one will.

As a Canadian you might find us Brits saying things like "I am not worthy" in your presence. :) The Canadian players do seem to be better than most of us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->