Latvia: Hockey in Latvia

OscarsCards

Spooky action at a distance
Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
If anyone is interested, I have created a Google map with ice rinks in Latvia.

Ice rinks in Latvia

Last built indoor ice rink was OZO ledus halle in 2008.
There is a Olympic center with indoor ice rink developing in Rēzekne, but who knows, when it will be finished.
There also was some rumors about the idea of ice rink construction for HK Kurbads, which plays in local championship.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
There also was some rumors about the idea of ice rink construction for HK Kurbads, which plays in local championship.

The idea is not a rumour, it was Pikāns himself who talked about it. Yet, even if there is any progress, they are hiding it well. I think, it was mentioned that it potentially might be located in Ķengarags, Rumbula, that part of Rīga.

OscarsCards

Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
After game between Sabres and Canucks in 30th January, where two Latvians played each other in NHL, I got curious and thought - how much Latvians have played each other in NHL?

I collected information about every Latvian rivalry game played and here it is - Latvian player rivalries in NHL

The link to the table with basic statistics is in end of the post.
I commit that I struggled to find out what would be the most comfortable view for the table, because there were a 200+ games.
Please don't judge and enjoy.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
After game between Sabres and Canucks in 30th January, where two Latvians played each other in NHL, I got curious and thought - how much Latvians have played each other in NHL?

I collected information about every Latvian rivalry game played and here it is - Latvian player rivalries in NHL

The link to the table with basic statistics is in end of the post.
I commit that I struggled to find out what would be the most comfortable view for the table, because there were a 200+ games.
Please don't judge and enjoy.

Thanks for compiling that! Interesting read.

OscarsCards

Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
It seems, that I should continue my monolog.
Article about Latvian players who has played as teammates in NHL - Friends and foes, statistics are included too.

Is there some sort of Latvian hockey federations annual book? I'm more interested about Latvian hockey league.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
It is LHF you are talking about...

Well, there are two that were released in 2004/05 and 2005/06. I guess it was more of a Koziols initiative rather than LHF, yet they are available. And then, obviously, the small yearbooks released in late 1980's for a couple of years.

With regards to the Latvian league, there are at least two sets of full (well, almost) season-by-season and all-time stats.

OscarsCards

Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
I have summarized all game results of Latvia men's national ice hockey team since 1992 - see the table.

Feel free to calculate and discuss the past and present results.
I'd say we more likely will be in 12-16 place in upcoming IIHF WC.
Odds aren't so good, but all we have is hopes.

OscarsCards

Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
Gudlevskis, though having a subpar year in Syracuse, will be a star NHL goalie.

Hoping for the best. Good to know that he's having a good season, because it's hard to tell about performance just through the statistics. Are you watching a lot Syracuse games?

Seattle Slewfoot

Mar 8, 2015
I'm in NY, but not in that part of the state, usually I'm at Islanders games with my son. I follow Gudlevskis' progress in part because my guess is that TB is going to have to move him at some point. His performance in the Olympics was borderline miraculous.

But this is one Latvian I watch (and listen to) more often:

Elina-Garanca_1290894c.jpg

Dunno if she's any good on the PK, but she's an angel from heaven. :handclap:

OscarsCards

Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
Options and odds for Latvia in 2015 World Championship

The importance of IIHF 2015 World ice hockey Championship in one night has grown from “another one” to a real chance for Latvia to qualify automatically for 2018 Winter Olympic Games. The IIHF announced - “The qualification structure for the Olympic men’s tournament will have an immediate impact on the upcoming IIHF World Championship, as the 2015 IIHF World Ranking will be used to seed the top eight automatic entries and the men’s qualification program.” This announcement (for me at least) came like thunder from clear sky. Full article

What's your expectations?

OscarsCards

Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
I have written some small article about 2014-15 Latvian hockey league - Ogre stays hungry and defeated

For those who followed Latvian hockey league more than me, what are your thoughts about this season?

And here are a bit older article - Heroes and Zeroes where I have summarized statistics about goal and point streaks for Latvian NHL players. Enjoy ;)

OscarsCards

Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
At last, the 2015 IIHF Wch is here and while we are waiting I have summarized Latvian U18 2015 Wch statistics and compared with 2012 WCh Latvian U18 "dream team". Nothing much, but here are the results - Sweet under 18

OscarsCards

Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
Long time no see. Despite my busyness I have managed to write an article about 2015 NHL Draft which pleased every Latvian hockey fan with three Latvian players drafted. That is repeated best result and previously it happened in 1992 and 2002. The fact, that three Latvians are drafted in a single year happens only once in a decade, for it self is interesting. I don't want to run ahead of a time, but I have suspicion that this could be one of the best drafts in the history of Latvian hockey.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
I wish you good luck. I Always liked Latvian team. I am expecting you will in near future have that one year in IIHF championship where you make a huge success. Just like Switzerland in 2013. Again, good luck.

Last edited:

OscarsCards

Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
Long time no see.

2016 final qualification round for 2018 Winter Olympic Games hockey tournament seems to be far away, but there are more questions than answers.

Article - In the shadow of death (Nāves ēnā) is a novel written by Latvian writer Rūdolfs Blaumanis in 1899. Novel events are set on a detached, drifting piece of ice in sea, with fourteen fishermen on it. After a number of days spent at sea in hopelessness, they are finally found. It turns out, however, that the boat is unable to carry all of them; this is followed by the tragic conclusion – drawing of lots to ascertain, who will have to stay on the piece of ice: people, with such choice put before them, are forced to show their true colors.

Your opinions?

OscarsCards

Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
The last built indoor ice rink in Latvia was opened on the 30th May, 2008 in a small village of Ozolnieki. Afterwards the economical crisis struck hard and there wasn't any new finished projects until now. After eight year break there are two ice rinks under construction and the third ice rink is waiting for a start of construction.

Read a interview with a HK Kurbads club owner and other ice rinks projects - New year, new opportunities

Last edited:

OscarsCards

Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
Hello everyone. I have put together some words about season 2015-16 hockey in Latvia.

Year 1931 was very important for ice hockey in Latvia. In February 22, 1931 Latvia became the 19th member of International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) and the first official ice hockey championship was played in 1931. The first ever played Latvian hockey league final game was in March 1, 1931 where Unions Rīga played against Liepāja ASK. Unions Rīga won Liepāja ASK with 1:0 in overtime and team Unions Rīga was crowned as first Latvian ice hockey champions. It has been 85 years since Latvia became IIHF member and first Latvian hockey champion was crowned, to celebrate these important events the 2015-16 hockey season in Latvia was announced as 80th anniversary hockey season.

You can read the full article here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->