Hockey in Great Britain, Early Years

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Hockey Tourists

That's an interesting and plausible suggestion, I'm gonna have to take a look at your thread about that topic again.

Also of interest (and probably to be seen in this context): The rise and fall of the Maritime Senior Hockey League from 1932-1935 with its talent pool of quality players from all over Canada. It's going to play a role when I get to the 1935 off-season.

The issue of "Hockey Tourists" players at the amateur or semi-pro level who made a living a short term hockey mercenaries was an on going concern in Canada in the mid 1930's. Steps were take to address the problem:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=82466243&postcount=267

Raids of Ontario teams by the Maritimes was a concern:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=82309541&postcount=248

Story about Dave Campbell one of the better known or admitted "Hockey Tourists"

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=XnYtAAAAIBAJ&sjid=jZgFAAAAIBAJ&hl=fr&pg=6658,2300733

Includes his time on a European tour in 1927.

Last edited:

WhiteTiger

Hockey Jesus
May 6, 2014
internationalhockeywiki.com
Since this thread covers early British hockey... I'm wondering if anyone who's posted in it has any additional knowledge or information on the "Admiral Maxse Challenge Cup"?

I know it was put up for challenge by Princes IHC and was first won by Niagara IHC in 1898, and served as the British Championship in most years through 1931. I have not however managed to find results from any actual games played during that time period. Though I've also heard that the team "considered" to be the top squad in the country was often "awarded" the Cup.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Okay I don´t know if this have much to do with hockey, but I found this regarding the 1913 Bandy EC.

24.01.1913 Finskt idrottsblad (Old finland-swedish sport newspaper)
VÄRLDSMÄSTERSKAPET I BANDY, som tidigare var afsedt att försiggå i Stockholm vid Nordiska spelen, har man numera beslutit förlägga till Davos eller St Moritz i Schweiz...

With my weak english and even weaker swedish this loosely translates "Bandy World Championship which were supposed to take place in Nordic Games in Stockholm, is now supposed to take place in Davos or St. Moritz in Switzerland. (someone can do better tranlation)

I was searching other thing and just for fun decided to test if there is anything about that tournament in Finnish newspapers. Material before 1911 is free online, but this I would have to go to National library to check (this is everything that the search engine gave) . And going to Helsinki to read finland-swedish newspapers is not something that I look forward to. So is this old news?

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Suomen Urheilulehti (Finnish language sport magazine) (22.2.1913 ) Verify that Leipzig just few days before the Nordic Games send a telegram that they can´t come (reason is not shown in free parts of the article). "almost all other foreign participants" had cancelled their participation earlier. Yet again I can see only see the "freebies" from this article.

Last edited:

steve141

Aug 13, 2009
Okay I don´t know if this have much to do with hockey, but I found this regarding the 1913 Bandy EC.

24.01.1913 Finskt idrottsblad (Old finland-swedish sport newspaper)

With my weak english and even weaker swedish this loosely translates "Bandy World Championship which were supposed to take place in Nordic Games in Stockholm, is now supposed to take place in Davos or St. Moritz in Switzerland. (someone can do better tranlation)

I was searching other thing and just for fun decided to test if there is anything about that tournament in Finnish newspapers. Material before 1911 is free online, but this I would have to go to National library to check (this is everything that the search engine gave) . And going to Helsinki to read finland-swedish newspapers is not something that I look forward to. So is this old news?

Very interesting. I thought the consensus in this forum was that this event never took place, and that there were no contemporary sources. This seems to indicate that the event was at least PLANNED to take place, which is interesting in itself.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Very interesting. I thought the consensus in this forum was that this event never took place, and that there were no contemporary sources. This seems to indicate that the event was at least PLANNED to take place, which is interesting in itself.

I don´t know if there ever was consensus, but strong claims was made that this tournament was definitely a hoax (I wasn´t part of that discussion and might remember wrong). These few sentences from articles are poor proof of anything, but when there was a claim that heavy research was made I thought that these articles might have been familiar to the historians in here. I could make further research, but it would be quite pointless if these are already known and "debunked". The hoax claims was pretty much only thing that made this subject intresting to me. :)

Paolo Di Stefano

Jul 27, 2018
greatbritain1936.png

I came across this photo of the 1936 Gold Medal Team from Great Britain and i was wondering if someone can tell me whose autograph is the one in the top right hand corner? Thank you.

James Laverance

Feb 12, 2013
Hocky on ice 1814 in Richmond, England.

" War and Winter are apt to hunt in couples, at all events in the ideas of him who, not claiming to be " the oldest inhabitant," can awake the souvenirs of some forty years. In the beginning of 1814 I knew, vaguely enough, being a very juvenile school-boy, that war was going on somewhere; but there was no vagueness in my knowledge of the existence of winter. That was a tangible fact of every hour's experience. The daily walk from Richmond-green to Kew, beside the long wall which then was decorated with chalk drawings of all the ships in the British navy, and a representation of more than all the chain and bar-shot and piles of cannonballs than, to my apprehension, ever could have been fired off, let the war last till "the crack of doom:" that long wall above which the trees hung a canopy of rime, depending from the branches in every variety of beautiful form! The return from Kew to Richmond, not by the road but the river, no longer a "silent highway," but a firm and compact mass of ice on which shouting thousands were in motion, skating, sliding, playing at football and hocky—on which fairs were being held and oxen roasted whole, and on which a printing-press was actually established! It was, indeed, a winter that made itself felt then and remembered afterwards."
Bentley's Miscellany

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad