Great Britain: Hockey in Britain part 3

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
They aren't officially disclosed but one does hear things, it can be anything from nothing up to £600 a week for the top imports maybe more. For the vast majority of players they don't get enough to live on.

Quite low then, I'm guessing the lowest get around £300-£400 (£15.6k-£20.8k)?

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
The only team that gives its players a 12 month contract is Telford

Everyone else only gets paid during the season

I was going to say.

Not like football then where they get paid in the summer as well in the off-season. Makes financial sense.

Maccas

Aug 26, 2010
England
They aren't officially disclosed but one does hear things, it can be anything from nothing up to £600 a week for the top imports maybe more. For the vast majority of players they don't get enough to live on.

It was a few years back (about 3 or 4?) but I remember speaking to a Non-import D-man who had requested £450 a week from a EPIHL team and was knocked back because they wouldn't pay that much for a Brit. Certainly most of them have to hold down another job (Lots of Sparkys, Chippies etc)

buzzbee

nude hockey player
Aug 8, 2005
Bracknell (UK)
IT, you will likely know this more than anyone.

What are the player salaries like in the EPIHL?

I have something that gives a decent idea. Below, minus personal and team names, is a copy of something given by a coach to an owner, a couple of seasons ago. One part of it was to show what the coach believed the weekly net (After tax) wages to be for each team, based on his negotiations with players. The second is what he expected to pay for the players he wanted, which he expected would make the top 4 in the league. Where I have put positions, he actually names players…

Team spend
Team 1 - £7000-£8000 per week
Team 2 - £6000 per week
Team 3 - £4800-£5500 per week
Team 4 - £5000-£5000 per week
Team 5 - £4000-£4500 per week
Team 6 - £3500 per week
Team 7 - £3500 per week at start of season / £2800 per week at the end
Team 8 - £3200 per week
Team 9 - £3100 per week
Team 10 - £2200 per week

Top 4 Team…
Goalie - £300 net per week… needs housing
Gaolie - £75 net per week

Import defenceman - £400 net per week… needs house and car
Import defenceman - £330 net per week… needs house and car
Defenceman - £220 net per week
Defenceman - £210 net per week… needs housing
Defenceman - £100 net per week
Defenceman - £50 net per week

Import forward - £525 net per week
Import forward - £350 net per week… needs house and a car
Forward - £425 net per week… needs house and a car
Forward - £275 net per week
Forward - £250 net per week
Forward - £250 net per week
Forward - £180 net per week… needs housing
Forward - £170 net per week
Forward - £100 net per week

Total - £4210 net per week

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Thanks for that. Interesting to look at. When they say needs housing, do the teams have to find that before they can sign them? I.e a flat at an affordable rate for the duration of the season?

What do you guys think as well of Duggan's chances of being drafted in the later rounds this year?

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Thanks for that. Interesting to look at. When they say needs housing, do the teams have to find that before they can sign them? I.e a flat at an affordable rate for the duration of the season?

What do you guys think as well of Duggan's chances of being drafted in the later rounds this year?

In the EPL they have a "team house" (sometimes more than 1) where the players will live together, kind of like a student house. Sometimes an import might be bringing over a partner and maybe a child so they'll need to find somewhere else for that player. It's a different league and a different era but in Tony Hand's autobiography he said he always signed players who weren't bringing a partner or family because they were cheaper.

Duggan isn't on the central scouting mid-term rankings, but unranked players do get drafted so you never know, wouldn't get my hopes up though.

buzzbee

nude hockey player
Aug 8, 2005
Bracknell (UK)
Sam is the younger of 3 brothers. Ben and Tom played for the Bees and Tom always said to watch out for Sam, as he came through the junior ranks. He always said Sam would be the best of the 3

I, along with other Bees fans, was gutted from a selfish point of view, when Sam chose to move abroad, as we were looking forward to him playing for the Bees. He and linemate, Vanya Antonov were prolific as youngsters and Vanya, at 18 years old is already a major player in the EPL

Will Sam get drafted? Probably not this season. He still has time on his side and could feature in next year’s draft, though I am not sure whether he will become a regular player in the show.

I certainly hope so!

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Seems like a good place to ask.curious to know if there are blogs,podcasts,etc covering british hockey outside of the leagues site?

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011

Buttery

Feb 21, 2015
UK
Wow i have just found this thread!

Massive Leafs fan from Milton Keynes. I go and see MK Lightning occasionally but haven't been enough. I'll get reading for a better knowledge!

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Wow i have just found this thread!

Massive Leafs fan from Milton Keynes. I go and see MK Lightning occasionally but haven't been enough. I'll get reading for a better knowledge!

After reading your post I went back to the first page which was from 4 years ago :laugh: we've really slowed up the posting since then.

I saw this on the first page

Heard an interesting rumour today from two different sources.

Whilst skating at the NIC a fellow hockey player I was chatting to told me that the University of Nottingham are planning on building their own Olympic-sized pad ice rink on their Jubilee Campus (where many of their other sports facilities are). Later on, whilst chatting to an acquaintance who works for Nottingham City Council's planning department he (knowing I play hockey) mentioned the same rumour to me.

Would definitely be a bonus if a third pad were opened in Nottingham, ice time is a always at a premium in Nottingham even with two pads.

Here is hoping this rumour becomes fact.

Guessing this never came to fruition then :laugh: what a surprise

With any rumours of a new rink in this country, you shouldn't believe it until you see it

Kiev the Great

Aug 21, 2014
After reading your post I went back to the first page which was from 4 years ago :laugh: we've really slowed up the posting since then.

I saw this on the first page

Guessing this never came to fruition then :laugh: what a surprise

With any rumours of a new rink in this country, you shouldn't believe it until you see it

Hey Cardiff have got their brand new rink opening next weekend.

It just took a decade of playing in a tent waiting for it.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Hey Cardiff have got their brand new rink opening next weekend.

It just took a decade of playing in a tent waiting for it.

It's open for the previously scheduled hockey games, I've already played in it and will be playing in it again tomorrow. It was still a bit of a building site the first time I played there so i imagine it's just not open for the public yet. Unsurprisingly it wasn't ready on time for when they said it would be.

Kiev the Great

Aug 21, 2014
It's open for the previously scheduled hockey games, I've already played in it and will be playing in it again tomorrow. It was still a bit of a building site the first time I played there so i imagine it's just not open for the public yet. Unsurprisingly it wasn't ready on time for when they said it would be.

I believe the Cardiff Fire have played there and that the Devils are training there.

Devils have their first game there on Saturday after numerous delays, the latest being no internet, phonelines and other essentials. I believe they are all sorted now though. Pictures make it look like a cracking little rink though.

buzzbee

nude hockey player
Aug 8, 2005
Bracknell (UK)
It’s a nice arena. It’s small enough not to end up only half full, but big enough to warrant an EIHL team. The views are unrestricted from all seats and there is a decent concourse around the top.

When I was there, the bar was still being worked on, so I can’t comment on facilities. The one small criticism is that to aid the unrestricted views, there are no hand rails on any of the stairs, which might not go down too well with some of the older supporters

I think it will generate a very good atmosphere too!

Players who have played there rave over it, so I suspect the changing facilities are pretty good

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Players who have played there rave over it, so I suspect the changing facilities are pretty good

They're nice but too small, the rooms in-between the 2 pads won't fit a whole team if you've got more than 2 lines

Apparently there's 2 big changing rooms on the other side of the arena pad, 1 apparently for the Devils and another for other Cardiff teams and presumably the visiting Elite teams. But if you're an NIHL team rocking up to play the Fire or NIHL Devils you get put in the small ones and have to split the team up half and half

Another complaint from me is the players' benches aren't long enough

Kiev the Great

Aug 21, 2014
They're nice but too small, the rooms in-between the 2 pads won't fit a whole team if you've got more than 2 lines

Apparently there's 2 big changing rooms on the other side of the arena pad, 1 apparently for the Devils and another for other Cardiff teams and presumably the visiting Elite teams. But if you're an NIHL team rocking up to play the Fire or NIHL Devils you get put in the small ones and have to split the team up half and half

Another complaint from me is the players' benches aren't long enough

I seem to remember reading somewhere they might have 2 rows of benches because they were so small?

UKwild

Nov 12, 2013
Wembley
Blogs and Wembley

If anyone is interested, Chris who runs Icenationuk.com is easy to blog for and they are doing more domestic stuff this season and going forward.

Worth trying even if you've never tried blogging before.

I've posted a few, albeit they are probably horrendous, but it's good to get more domestic bits up.

And has anyone heard anything more on Wembley? the potential Elite League team has gone a bit quite down here.

UKwild

Nov 12, 2013
Wembley
With any rumours of a new rink in this country, you shouldn't believe it until you see it[/QUOTE]

Seems to be the token item when they are rebuilding areas or expanding existing ones. The proposed rinks that seem to be in the pipeline, well out of this I'd say 95% won't be done. But we can hope, it seems that a lot of people are hoping they can make some money, mainly through shows like Disney on ice then ice skating and discos, but it could help IH as well. Although not holding my breath.

These are the ones I've heard about over the past year or so.

Weston - seemed a nonsensical story regarding an 8000 rink, can't see it happening.
Bristol - a new rink proposed outside of Bristol
Plymouth - a 1500 rink beside home park
Romford - as part of the new leisure centre
Liverpool - in the proposed billion pound dock upgrade
Dublin - in the shopping centre outside of the town
Leeds - 1500 one I believe
Reading - Reading FC are looking to develop the land around the stadium, usual mixed use, offices, commercial and residential, but have also included an ice rink in the plans.
Southampton - although I'm pretty sure it was scrapped.
Oxford - not increasing ice rinks, but a replacement was rumoured
There was a feasibility study done to increase capacity and improve the Lea Valley Ice rink undertaken back in 2012. But the 2 pad idea is currently let down by the poor transportation links in the area, which severely dampens it's chances for funding.

Anyone else heard of anymore?

I still hoped that they would convert the copperbox, lets face it, basketball is not exactly getting the fans to the venue. Ally Palace in London, well we need another venue. To go and get a few pints, it's well over an hour on public transport, I can get to Milton Keynes by training, including underground in under that time and it's a cracking night in MK.

And Streatham is not easy to get to from North of the river.

UKwild

Nov 12, 2013
Wembley
If you want to see what sporting venues are actually being built, they appear on this site. There is an ice hockey arena thread.

This is done by architects and industry people, but we can browse.

Gives great information on new venues, football is the biggest contributor as it has the most works being carried out. But if some of the arenas are going to be built, when plans become more concrete, so to speak.

They will likely be here

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=263

Maccas

Aug 26, 2010
England

Seems to be the token item when they are rebuilding areas or expanding existing ones. The proposed rinks that seem to be in the pipeline, well out of this I'd say 95% won't be done. But we can hope, it seems that a lot of people are hoping they can make some money, mainly through shows like Disney on ice then ice skating and discos, but it could help IH as well. Although not holding my breath.

These are the ones I've heard about over the past year or so.

Weston - seemed a nonsensical story regarding an 8000 rink, can't see it happening.
Bristol - a new rink proposed outside of Bristol
Plymouth - a 1500 rink beside home park
Romford - as part of the new leisure centre
Liverpool - in the proposed billion pound dock upgrade
Dublin - in the shopping centre outside of the town
Leeds - 1500 one I believe
Reading - Reading FC are looking to develop the land around the stadium, usual mixed use, offices, commercial and residential, but have also included an ice rink in the plans.
Southampton - although I'm pretty sure it was scrapped.
Oxford - not increasing ice rinks, but a replacement was rumoured
There was a feasibility study done to increase capacity and improve the Lea Valley Ice rink undertaken back in 2012. But the 2 pad idea is currently let down by the poor transportation links in the area, which severely dampens it's chances for funding.

Anyone else heard of anymore?

I still hoped that they would convert the copperbox, lets face it, basketball is not exactly getting the fans to the venue. Ally Palace in London, well we need another venue. To go and get a few pints, it's well over an hour on public transport, I can get to Milton Keynes by training, including underground in under that time and it's a cracking night in MK.

And Streatham is not easy to get to from North of the river.

For quite some time now there have been rumours of a rink in Cambridge appearing and then disappearing.
On multiple occasions news stories have come out of certain people donating money for a rink, deals done with the British Antarctic Survey, Plans and Blueprints and even planning permissions appearing but with nothing actually happening.
This has been going on for probably almost a decade now with nothing concrete actually happening. Things are looking more positive recently but as I say to anyone who mentions it- I'll believe it when I first step out onto the ice pad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->